Darden sells REd Lobster for $2.1 billion

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, May 16, 2014.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,834
    Jumbo's his financial backer.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,548

I'm with Tilly in that I really like their biscuits but one of my bigger complaints is the size of their baked potatoes. Always feel like I am getting ripped off. When my wife cooks them at home she knows she might as well find about the biggest one she can for me. Or if they don't have real big ones get me two of the smaller size.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,548
    Then the server gets to pay for it from what I remember. I believe it is RL that does this.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Red Lobster, Carrabbas, Olive Garden ... these sit-down chains truly have the absolute blandest food possible. The only way I'd ever dine at one again is if I lived somewhere without non-chain restaurants. I don't intend to do that again.

As I recall, Red Lobster has good biscuits, though ;)
  5. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,167
    My feeling exactly on the chains
  6. beanfield

beanfield Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Would yall agree that if you serve great food, people will come???....
  7. beanfield

beanfield Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    The reason I ask is that I have a place that is 10 miles from any town and is in the country...
    I'm talking about tin roof and cypress siding... Fried Suwannee river catfish with hush puppies and cheese
    Grits and Sweet Tea.....Also close enough to Steinhatchee and Suwannee to have fresh Shrimp and oysters...

Whadda yall think???
  8. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,548

I am not going to say people won't come but to be out like that you are probably going to have to be a notch above your competition and do so on a consistent basis. One of the first things they taught me years ago when I entered management in the food service business is location, location, location. I have seen some good places go out of business over the years due to having bad locations.
  9. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,804
    You beat me to it. I have always loved Red Lobster! Especially when they were a locally owned resturant here in Lakeland. It was a beautiful location on the shore of Lake Parker with lots of nice big windows with beautiful views of the lake! And when you walked in they had a big tank of lobsters and you could pick out the one that you wanted for your dinner! And outside by the entrance they had placed a big plaque with the info of this being the first Red lobster.

Very disappointed when the big holding company bought it. That nice Resturant with the beautiful views of the lake was closed down. A bigger one was built but it was way out on the north side of Lakeland near the Lakeland Square Mall. Of course it's still good resturant with a great menu and good employees but like nearly any other modern times resturant there's no great views by the windows. No doubt the best seafood resturant with the greatest views anywhere is the Rusty Pelican on a small island along the Rickenbacker Causeway between Miami and Key Biscayne! Especially the beautiful views at night!

I'm on the south side of Lakeland and have always been disappointed we don't have a Red Lobster on this side of town, especially when you consider Lakeland is the home town for Red Lobster. We got a lot, and I mean a lot, of steak places and chicken places very near me. The only seafood is Bonefish, which I don't like and they're not nearly as good as Red Lobster. When my birthday rolls around every year no family or friends need to ask me where I would like to go out to eat and celebrate, they know we will be heading out to North Lakeland to the Red Lobster! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    It's been a while since I've been to Lakeland but I recall the town having enough decent, non-chain restaurants to never have to even consider going to a place like Red Lobster.
  11. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,804
    Well, as I mentioned, from it's beginning Red Lobster was a local Resturant. Time goes by fast but I guess it may have been about 15 years ago or so that a holding company bought them. But you are right as there are good local restaurants here. And other businesses as well. And that I like.
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,243
    Yes. Often here your dinner was swimming earlier in the day. Its just a different level.