Danielson says we are the most underrated team in the country

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Sep 19, 2013.

1. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Funny you mentioned time of possession. The Gators are #1 in the nation in that statistic right now at nearly 40 minutes per game.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    No. He is saving them for their senior years. My word.

They are freshmen receivers. It takes some time. They are in the receiver rotation, they have been on the field often, and they have been targeted. Fulwood has already made a nice grab and, according to Muschamp, Robinson's number was called several time against Miami but the throw wasn't there. Driskel's completion percentage is so high right because he has been making good check downs and that means going away from your primary receiver.

These guys will get their chances, but Danielson is right about one thing: our fanbase is is extremely "restless" and "impatient" waiting for it to happen. They are true freshmen in their first two games, one of which happened to be on the road in a loss. That is not ordinarily when you unveil freshmen receivers. All the more so when your line is banged up and you are moving pieces around just to get a functional offense.
  3. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235

Well said.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    Right. Some of you are mind bogglingly vapid in your arguments.
  5. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    LOL! Way to break out the thesaurus with vapid, but it doesn't mean I am wrong.

And you want UF fans to be more patient? This is YEAR THREE for Muschamp and YEAR FOUR of having a WAY below average offense. I saw that these kids have talent and can do more, but I stand by assessment that we don't take the field with the plan to score 50 points every game.

I live is South Florida, I was at the Miami game and I am disgusted by our uninspired play. We have been better than that team for a decade and have one win at home to show for it. This was our "LEAVE NO DOUBT" moment on the State and payback for the embarrassing 41-16 home blow out from 2002. We did nothing. We showed nothing and we gave Miami the right to say, we won on the field...to every recruit for the foreseeable future. I was discussed. It felt like the Spurrier days, when he could care less about beating the noles and just wanted to win the SEC the following week.

LIGHT 'EM UP ON SATURDAY! No team that plans to win 17-6 can ever be great. Because things go wrong (5 turnovers) and you look helpless.
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,339
    1) Which is it? Do we plan to score 17, or do we not plan to score 50?
    2) During that decade, we played Miami exactly 2x.
    3) rserina does not need a thesaurus.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,434
    Execution errors on offense... missed plays, turn overs, penalties.

That does not describe a plan to only score 17 points... it describes execution errors.

We've also made plenty of nice plays, moved the ball and put our team in position to score while holding down two very productive offenses. We are moving the ball significantly better than last year. And that's with over half our starting OL injured, and our starting RB trying to come back from a significant illness.

IDK when we'll execute cleaner (in the red zone in particular), but when we do, we'll score just fine, and until we do, we have an elite defense that will help us win most games, as long as we don't turn the ball over a bunch.

And for all the complaining about us not throwing enough, every time in the last two years we've gone heavier in the pass game, we turned the ball over and we lost.

So if you're the coach paid to win games, what do you do (until the pass game proves reliable)?
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,895
    [​IMG]
  9. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    We are as good as our record. We are 1 and 2 in our last three games.

Maybe we should have won both of the games that we lost but we didn't

If we want to be higher rated just win.
  10. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,113
    I think we're underrated as well because most people are too busy making fun of our offense to realize how good this defense potentially is.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    No, the word means your criticisms are superficial, not wrong. The phrases closest to describing them as "wrong" would be "pure conjecture" or maybe "purely arbitrary," because that is the only way you can account for some sort of "philosophical commitment" to score 17 as opposed to 50. If you think any football coach deciding between 17 and 50 would take the former, then you either don't know any football coaches or you are inebriated. Every coach wants to score more. But not every coach goes about it the same way and not every coach willingly puts game management in jeopardy in order to do so.

But I could make the arguments all day long and most of you wouldn't grant them because you have some inveterate hatred for anyone not named Spurrier on the Florida sidelines and you can't seem to grant that the playmaking talent on the roster, especially at receiver, is tremendously low. Yes, this is year "THREE" (though I don't know what year "FOUR" has to do with Muschamp--is he responsible for the failures of the 2010 offense now, or is this just Florida fan entitlement coming to the surface again?), and we still have a quarterback recruited for the spread triple option, our top receiver targets Sammy Watkins, Nelson Algohor, and Stefon Diggs are still playing for other programs, Debose, Dunkley, and Coxson still have not contributed meaningfully to the offense, and our best playmaking options are still either true freshmen learning the offense or high school seniors. Some of that is the staff's fault, some of it isn't, but you have been watching too many 1996 VHS highlights if you think this offense has the talent to score 50 on a semi-regular basis. Meyer's didn't his first two years, either, but you probably thought he was "philosophically committed" to "Big Ten" style 17 point games, too.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    All your points are largely accurate, but this is the real issue. Zook scored big, but didn't win. He got sacked. Meyer didn't score big at first, but won, and that allayed the offensive critics until he got the players in to run his system offensively, then he won with style.

What to do if you are Muschamp? Try and appease the flash and coach crowd with a vertical passing game you don't have the talent to execute on a regular basis and risk losing your job when it invariably fails to succeed against SEC defenses? Or work with what you have until the talent is in place to be more explosive? Any smart coach would do the latter.
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    So why aren't we starting any of our talented high school seniors?

Keep fighting the good fight, rserina ... I really appreciate your efforts to bring sanity to SG.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    I am starting to question my own sanity for doing so. I took the entire week off after the Miami loss and productivity on my dissertation went through the roof. Like a dog returning to its own vomit, I suspect.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,045
    Great post! It is a variation of a theme I've been howling into the wind for over a decade. There are so many variables that are out of the control of the coaches, and every season we "underachieve," the fish story that was 1990-2001 gets bigger and bigger with each telling.

BTW, love the sig...:grin:
  16. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    Sometimes I think fans believe that fumbling and throwing interceptions is part of our offensive game plan.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    This does seem to be the case for many fans on this site.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,434
    Or that those turn overs will magically decrease if we just do more of what we were doing when we lost all but one those turn overs.
  19. UFcody

UFcody Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    They really do. Some of them think it was our offensive game plan to only score 16 against Miami...
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,869
    We'll see just how "underrated" we really are after Saturdays game. I hope Danielson's right.