(Dan) Cross blames PG leadership for close losses

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by TroyGator, Jul 25, 2013.

1. TroyGator

TroyGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    "Dan Cross was the starting point guard on Florida's first Final Four team 1994.

So the former Gator knows a thing or two about running a team. And he wasn't shy about offering perspective why Florida has struggled mightily in close games in each of the last two seasons.

"The point guard a lot of times is the difference," Cross said. "And making the decisions, if you will have the ball in your hands or get the ball in the right person's hands "¦ that critical decision making a lot of times makes or breaks games."

http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/12121/cross-blames-pg-leadership-for-close-losses/?tc=cr
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    No question that Dan Cross is very knowledgable about basketball. However, I am not sure how carefully he watches the Gators. In 1994, Dan was the starting point guard on a Gator team that went to the Final Four and had teriffic players in Dan, DeClerq, Craig Brown and Da' Meathook. If Dan go the ball to those guys there was a pretty good chance that they would score. And yet, Dan averaged a little less than 4 assists per game. If Dan watched all our games the last couple of years, he would have seen that when the point guard would get the ball to Patric Young, Yeguete, or Prather, most of the time they were not going to score. There is a huge difference between throwing the ball to Da" Meathook and throwing the ball to Patric Young. I doubt that Dan would have averaged more than 4 assists per game with the Gator teams of the last several years. On the other hand, the much maligned Erving Walker averaged 4.9 assists as a sophomore on a Gator team that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    I was going to post some stuff, but decided not to do so. Dan was a great Gator, but nowhere near perfect in the endgame. I will say no more.
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    While our guards weren't always perfect in end-game situations, I think he is off base here. In 2010, we had Walker and Boynton as our guards and we won a ton of close games. In 2011, we had Walker and Boynton (and Scottie) as our guards, and we didn't win as many close games. So his premise kind of fails there.

I think the amount of close losses last season was just a statistical fluke. I bet if you look at the amount of close losses teams had, we were about on par with other teams. The difference is that instead of winning some games close, we won those games big.
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Guys, Dan Cross was not the most talented point guard we've ever had but he was one of the best Gators ever, at any position, in the final few minutes. He didn't turn it over and so he had to be fouled. It was money if you sent him to the line in the last minute.

Saying that it's an unfair comparison if he had to pass the ball to our current players is a bit unfair in itself. Dan would figure out quickly who to get the ball to and at which time. You say he'd have to dish to Young, Yeguete, and Prather. Would he ignore Murphy, Boynton, and Frazier?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Dan Cross was really good at the point..that team really overachieved. Only one NBA player in Declerq and he wasn't exactly a scoring machine in the post. Brown, Thompson, Anderson, Hill, Kuisma and Svein rotated on the front line and I think Greg Williams was a freshman in the backcourt with him.
  7. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    Agreed. Really underrated player and he was in fact money on the free throw line
  8. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    What did he say that was controversial? I don't think it's bashing Erv or Scottie to say their decision-making late in games could have been better. Isn't this why so many of us have been so excited about Kasey Hill?

And Dan was nails on those Kruger teams. Those teams were built around defense and featured offenses that were at times painful to watch. Deliberately playing low-scoring games puts a lot of pressure on your point guard. Dan's record in that system, I think, speaks for itself. One of our great underrated PGs - along with guys like RonnyMont and Clifford Lett.
  9. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Craig Brown on the front line? Don't think so. He was strictly a 2-guard. Greg Williams as a backup.
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I don't know if I would call that team an overachieving one. DeClerq, Hill, Brown and Cross were teriffic players, and there was a lot of depth. Brown might be as good a shooter coming off of screens as ever to play at UF.
  11. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Craig Brown came in and showed promise as a freshman, being quite a good perimeter shooter. Then came his sophomore year...and he was horrible. A typical game would be 1 for 10. After the season, his eyes were checked. Lo and behold, he needed a new prescription for his contacts. After that, he became a good shooter again.

His three straight dagger 3s against in the closing minutes of the Elite Eight game against Boston College were among the greatest moments ever in UF sports.
  12. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Hope Kasey is ready to go game 1....Scottie is going to sit a while....
  13. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Yeah, when you keep getting in trouble for the same offense, the suspensions get longer and longer.
  14. flwgator2

flwgator2 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +91
    Well at least it gives Hill some experience. I hope he gets back before the December games.
  15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    Are you speculating or have you heard some inside info?
  16. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +801
    Bullis doesn't speculate
  17. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    yep..craig was backcourt just typed ahead of myself
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    what the heck did the kid do?
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    Well, sometimes he does...

On Cross, it is an opinion and there is an argument that cane be made. But this piece has more to do with Brockway taking shots than Cross. He has to get in an article once a month.
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +669
    Who's to 'blame' for 3 straight elite 8's?

Also I'd like point out that the 2 teams lead by one of our most talented point guards didn't even make the tournament.