Cuse @ Duke, 7:00 PM, ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Totally agree. That probably should not be a charge, but I also felt Duke got screwed by the refs in Syracuse so it just evens things out. Regardless, Boeheim can't lose his composure like that. Duke was missing FTs all night, Syracuse could still have easily gotten back in the game if it weren't for his technicals.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Never liked Boeheim anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Boeheim is in denial and a little self absorbed. In his postgame presser he says the call ended the game. Down two with 10 seconds to play is far from over. Only a missed free throw and a 3 pointer away from a new game. Happens all the time.

He should apologize to his team and not be puffing himself up to the media with his antics.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Was Fair out of bounds when he caught the pass before the bucket?

[​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Out of their 26 games.....how many do you think were away games for Syracuse?

Answer: 6

They should have lost the first game with Duke as well....
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,205
    I'm not sure how you can make this determination. The defender is doing the Peyton Manning shuffle before and while the shooter leaves his feet.
  7. gr82b

gr82b Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Duke should have been called for a foul:

In college basketball, it is illegal for a secondary defender to take a charge when standing under the basket. The NCAA has defined a secondary defender as a teammate who has helped a primary defender who has been beaten by an opponent by not maintaining a good guarding position. A secondary defender who attempts to take a charge while under the basket will have a blocking foul called on her. This rule is to discourage the secondary defender from having the sole purpose of taking a charge as opposed to playing defense.​
  8. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    will have a blocking foul called on her.

Uh..."her"?

9. 350Z33

350Z33 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    He wasn't under the basket. He was outside of the circle that defines being under the basket. Just like the NBA...you can take a charge with feet set outside of that circle, but but the moment you have a piece of your foot on it...you're considered under the basket.
  10. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260
    It's a block/charge call one of the more difficult calls for an official...Boeheim knows this and to call it the worst call ever I guess he didn't watch the film when Hood was fouled in the Dome where that was a clear cut foul against his Cuse. Sometimes these coaches have short memories.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Droppingin

Droppingin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    The NCAA defines the rule as: "Under the revised block/charge call in men's basketball, a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass. If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul."

In this case, the cuse offensive player had been well into his upward motion long before the duke defensive player finally got his feet set. To me it was a clear blocking call.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    To me it looked like the player was there prior to the upward motion.

Question about the foot placement. Does the rule specifically require two feet to be firm on the ground? I always interpreted the feet being set comments to pertain to assisting with identifying when the player got there, but if the player got there and then simply re-adjusted his feet, that's not the same thing (i.e. that's acceptable). If both feet are required to be on the floor, then the last shuffle may be an indicator of violating the ability to legally take a charge, but that would also mean that you couldn't technically take a charge if you were standing on one leg, and I don't see why that would be the case. I always figured you get your vertical space regardless of how you are using it.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    I still don't think you should be allowed to just stand under a player and get credit for defense. Basketball is a vertical sport and players should be rewarded for going up and contesting, not falling over.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    Couple of analysts at HT of the Michigan/Michigan State game: one agrees with the call (Bazza...er, I mean Kellogg :D ), one disagrees, but the one who disagreed said that the positioning of the feet are irrelevant, he believed that the player got their late. He also called it an "incorrect call" vs. a "bad call" - I agree that that is an important distinction here.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  15. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Interestingly enough - thus far there is still no report on a solid consensus on the call.

I have read where various referees are split in their opinions on if it was a correct or incorrect call.

For now I will agree to disagree with those saying it was an incorrect call.

If at some point we have better proof one way or the other (slow motion closeup video) I am open to changing my opinion.

That aside, I don't think anyone could disagree that Boeheim blew any chance for his team to pull out the win in spite of the penalty. I think this is an important point to make because for those on the other side of the argument, it takes away the assertion that this penalty cost Syracuse the game, when in fact it did not.

I also feel that given the no-call at the end of their last game actually did cost Duke their game, Syracuse fans need to keep things in perspective.
  16. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    It was a charge. Why? Because the refs said so, that's why. Just like why was there no foul called on Cuse on Duke's dunk attempt three weeks ago at the Carrier Dome? Because the refs said so, that's why. It all evens out eventually, folks. :D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,782
    And to take from football, if you don't like a bad call changing the outcome then...score more points so that the calls aren't an issue. And to repost what I said earlier, if Boeheim is a good coach then he should get some pretty good mileage out of that teaching moment.
  18. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    It was a 50/50 call that was hard enough you couldn't no call it. Going to the home team 99% of the time. Real time makes a huge difference. Got to play through. Boeheim clinched the loss.
    ००Lesson. Once you establish legal guarding position your feet don't have to remain set or stationary on the floor as long as you don't move "into the offensive player" regardless of what ignorant announcers say.
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    This is true. The Duke player did slide a little to his right after establishing legal guarding position. The question is if he slides to his right before or after the 'Cuse player had committed to shooting. In real time I thought he moved too late, but on replay I am not sure.

It may have been a bad call. That is debatable. But I have seen MUCH worse calls than that this year so it is nowhere near the "worst call of the season".
  20. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    The only thing about that call we can be sure of ,
    Boeheim was wrong to go apoplectic and cost his team any chance of a comeback, remote or not.
    • Agree Agree x 1