Cruz: FAA Flight Ban Was To "Strong-Arm Israel"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Jul 24, 2014.

1. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +757
    There is a huge difference between individual airlines deciding for themselves not to fly to Tel Aviv and our government banning our carriers from doing so.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,651
    In this case it is warranted. He made his own bed. He and the VP should go into comedy together.
  3. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,651
    Maybe so, won't argue that. However I have a hard time buying it was done to pressure Israel. Hamas rockets falling over there indiscriminately would be a bigger blow to their tourism in my opinion.
  4. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +757
    I get that you have a hard time buying it. I would argue the precedent set by Obama using federal agencies to punish those that don't do what he says opens him up to this kind of charge. That was my point all along. As far as real danger from the rockets, flying into Tel Aviv would not bother me at all. Laying over there would be a different story though...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    Do you think the plane that was shot down in Ukraine may have caused someone to act with more caution than usual about flying into war zones?
  6. dallasgatr

dallasgatr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,316
    As another pilot who has flown into TLV , I know what absolute garbage this ban is. Totally political. No other reason to stop flights.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,477
    Haaretz lets you read one or two articles for free each day and then puts the pay wall up I believe. They also have a few articles that are always free, but it's that way on most of them.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +757
    No. Now if Hamas had Russian advisors manning complex Russian mobile surface to air missile launchers I could see a reason to be more cautious but that would be like comparing throwing a rock over my shoulder and hoping it hits someone in the temple to kill them verse using a high powered sniper rifle at 10 paces at a still target. Again, someone as smart as Obama should know this as well...
  9. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    Really? You don't think a plane being shot down over a war zone had any bearing on the decision to stop planes from flying into a different war zone? None at all? Like it didn't even cross their minds when they made the decision? Be honest now.
  10. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,651
    I can't say without a shadow of a doubt this is not a political move. Neither am I convinced it is since most every thing Obama does is criticized. After awhile it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +757
    I'm being honest. There is no comparison to the threats. Only someone with no understanding of weapons systems and their capability would react with such hysteria. I expect more of our President than that, and that is coming from one who has very little in the way of expectations from him.
  12. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,651
    The ban was lifted yesterday so exactly why are we still arguing about it when it was for such a short period of time? It couldn't have damaged their tourism that much. Also several carriers followed suit in the bans so I don't see the hysteria part of it either.
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    Lufthansa still has their flights suspended.
    Alitalia, KLM, Air France, swissair among others also cancelled flights.
    Guess most of the western world was in on the plot.

It was nothing more than an overreaction to what happened in Ukraine, no one wanted the firestorm had they had a plane shot down (however unlikely) days after it had happened already. They would have been destroyed in the court of public opinion and then financially.
  14. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,059
    We did, and are doing, the same thing with Cuba.
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,913
    Because it is symptomatic of a much bigger problem of the POTUS using the power of the US gubmnt to inflict damage on his political adversaries.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,059
    Only with the decision to remove our embassies and embassy staffs.
  17. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +757
    After Cruz made these charges and demanded answers, the ban was lifted with no other answers from the FAA. I still don't think they have given him the proof that this was directed by the FAA experts and not from the White House. Maybe they will lose that hard drive with those emails as well. Again, carriers making decisions on their own, likely based mostly on crew safety during layovers, is one thing. Another factor is once the FAA made their prounoncement that pressures carriers everywhere to do the same or look unsafe in the eyes of their customers. Not all that shocking. The FAA. like the IRS, wields a lot of power and there should never be even a "smidge of corruption" in its decision making.

Here's the big deal IMO. Obama is the boy who cried wolf. When you choose to use federal agencies to punish those who don't do what you want, charges of this type tend to result. Was he being overly cautious? Maybe but his history shows he never lets a crisis go to waste..in fact that is one of his admin's greatest tenants. When you behave in such an abusive way you need to be ready to have even your legitimate actions questioned. The way some on here blindly follow and defend him for ( especially the things he has done that they would be marching on Washington about if it had been a Republican) is really kind of sad. What you don't realize is if the Pubs get a like minded person in charge, your side will be on the other end of the pointy stick. The difference is I will be complaining with you instead of looking the other way or making lame excuses for their abuse of power. Again, this case may have been just an overreaction but his actions before open him up to this kind of criticism and those that question his true motives aren't crazy like the OP tried to say. The biggest question here is when will Obama believers on here start asking questions like this on all the ways he has used federal agencies to try and control those that oppose or expose him? FTR, the above was not directed at you in particular Hall, but at the more vociferous defenders of all things Obama.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  18. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,367
    Air Canada, EasyJet .... The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) said it "strongly recommends" that airlines should avoid operating to and from Tel Aviv. Yeah, pretty much the whole Western world was part of it this dastardly move.

I think we can put the complaints about this into the "Why, yes. We will whine about virtually everything" file.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,271
    We should have followed that lead in Benghazi
  20. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,421
    The more appropriate response in light of what's going on in the world would be to all flights to and from Moscow.