Crossfit competitor severs spine ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Honestly, the video isn't that graphic in itself. Knowing what happened to him makes it sad for sure but it doesn't look terrible. It's almost shocking that his injury was so bad on that failed attempt. I personally would never do Crossfit but don't think one gruesome injury is an indictment on the entire community. Just as when an Oly or Powerlifter suffers some serious injury it doesn't mean the entire sport is bad. Brandon Lily just shredded both of his knees under a 744 lb. squat and has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

If anything should be questioned in this circumstance it is these unsanctioned Crossfit events. Crossfit has grown way too fast and there is too little oversight amongst coaches, boxes and competitions.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    I thought it was ghastly myself (knowing the gravity of the injury).
  4. lwg8tr

lwg8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I sure that meathead site just loved reporting on the poor CrossFit guy. Are there still guys doing bodybuilding? Hasn't the 50 something life span, blown out joints, dying liver, sex drive and adrenal function thrown this form of idiocy on the ash heap of history. Besides meatheads, outside of Staten Island and Seaside New Jersey, women hate that look.

I think CrossFit with the proper rest, nutrition and frequency is a good way to maintain fitness but like everything its starting to become a place where hipster women and men with eating disorders go to work themselves to death. I'll stick with BJJ, its functional, it gives you a great level fitness and flexibility and any of the guys want off that meathead site want to get stupid out in the real world in about 20 seconds I can have them on the ground needing a breathing tube and chest compressions. I just love it when meatheads start BJJ, all that gasping for breath, the wretching and vomiting up their 5 chicken breasts and $38 protein powder.

"Extreme muscle hypertrophy... the new retarded"
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    "I don't play sports, but I'm the best around at exercising."

-- Crossfitter --
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. sailorgator

sailorgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    i still dont get how exercising gets blown up into crossfit. the reason i exercise during off hours is so i can avoid all the wannabe "athletes" who think exercise is a sport. crossfit is so silly. take up local bjj, mma or boxing. join a track club. play in an evening basketball league. lift some weights in a safe manner or just exercise and let go of the silly fad.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    I have come to regard the field of fitness and nutrition as fanatical.
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,269
    My brother is has become an avid Cross Fitter since retiring from the army, not at a gym but by doing the "cross fit exercise of the day" thing, whatever that is. He'd been doing an olympic routine since his SF days and then started getting into triathlons and similar endurance events during the "desk" segment of his army career. Now he has an awesome home gym and has become a scientist of fitness and strength training. He's a little guy though and has never tried to push the weight part too far. Crossfit has been the perfect system for him to build the kind of strength that will make him more competitive on the Triathlon circuit. He's 50 years old and has the body of an elite college athlete.
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,269
    There's a fanatical element to Cross Fit cut the concept itself is very smart. I would do it if I had the patience and the money. I do go to a gym, most during off-hours, but also train in Aikido. I started my gym routine because of Aikido. The dojo alone won't get you in good enough shape to be successful in the dojo. I lost 30 pounds, gained a lot of endurance and explosive strength. My improvement on the mat was dramatic and I've continued to progress.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,269
    If anything has blown out of proportion and become dangerous, it's MMA. People are going to start dying.