Crossfit competitor severs spine ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,837
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Honestly, the video isn't that graphic in itself. Knowing what happened to him makes it sad for sure but it doesn't look terrible. It's almost shocking that his injury was so bad on that failed attempt. I personally would never do Crossfit but don't think one gruesome injury is an indictment on the entire community. Just as when an Oly or Powerlifter suffers some serious injury it doesn't mean the entire sport is bad. Brandon Lily just shredded both of his knees under a 744 lb. squat and has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

If anything should be questioned in this circumstance it is these unsanctioned Crossfit events. Crossfit has grown way too fast and there is too little oversight amongst coaches, boxes and competitions.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,837
    I thought it was ghastly myself (knowing the gravity of the injury).
  4. lwg8tr

lwg8tr Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I sure that meathead site just loved reporting on the poor CrossFit guy. Are there still guys doing bodybuilding? Hasn't the 50 something life span, blown out joints, dying liver, sex drive and adrenal function thrown this form of idiocy on the ash heap of history. Besides meatheads, outside of Staten Island and Seaside New Jersey, women hate that look.

I think CrossFit with the proper rest, nutrition and frequency is a good way to maintain fitness but like everything its starting to become a place where hipster women and men with eating disorders go to work themselves to death. I'll stick with BJJ, its functional, it gives you a great level fitness and flexibility and any of the guys want off that meathead site want to get stupid out in the real world in about 20 seconds I can have them on the ground needing a breathing tube and chest compressions. I just love it when meatheads start BJJ, all that gasping for breath, the wretching and vomiting up their 5 chicken breasts and $38 protein powder.

"Extreme muscle hypertrophy... the new retarded"
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dreamliner

Dreamliner All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,837
    "I don't play sports, but I'm the best around at exercising."

-- Crossfitter --
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. sailorgator

sailorgator Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +20
    i still dont get how exercising gets blown up into crossfit. the reason i exercise during off hours is so i can avoid all the wannabe "athletes" who think exercise is a sport. crossfit is so silly. take up local bjj, mma or boxing. join a track club. play in an evening basketball league. lift some weights in a safe manner or just exercise and let go of the silly fad.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  7. Dreamliner

Dreamliner All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,837
    I have come to regard the field of fitness and nutrition as fanatical.
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,810
    My brother is has become an avid Cross Fitter since retiring from the army, not at a gym but by doing the "cross fit exercise of the day" thing, whatever that is. He'd been doing an olympic routine since his SF days and then started getting into triathlons and similar endurance events during the "desk" segment of his army career. Now he has an awesome home gym and has become a scientist of fitness and strength training. He's a little guy though and has never tried to push the weight part too far. Crossfit has been the perfect system for him to build the kind of strength that will make him more competitive on the Triathlon circuit. He's 50 years old and has the body of an elite college athlete.
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,810
    There's a fanatical element to Cross Fit cut the concept itself is very smart. I would do it if I had the patience and the money. I do go to a gym, most during off-hours, but also train in Aikido. I started my gym routine because of Aikido. The dojo alone won't get you in good enough shape to be successful in the dojo. I lost 30 pounds, gained a lot of endurance and explosive strength. My improvement on the mat was dramatic and I've continued to progress.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,810
    If anything has blown out of proportion and become dangerous, it's MMA. People are going to start dying.
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto Senior

Ratings Received:
    +2,242
    This was an actual Crossfit competition, right?

Most people I see at local competitions should never do snatches, IMO. It has made me more appreciative of the human body though, as I've seen some contortions and load bearing that I would've never thought possible. Sometimes I applaud because I'm super impressed that all four parts of that dude's rotator cuff didn't snap on the spot.
  12. ian

ian Sophomore

Ratings Received:
    +514
    crossfit is the exact opposite of fight club... if you're in crossfit you must tell everyone that you're in cross fit
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Dreamliner

Dreamliner All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,837
    Being a Crossfitter means we can exercise better than you can!
  14. notfromgatorsports

notfromgatorsports Senior

Ratings Received:
    +1,858
    When it's cross fit it gets attention. But there are plenty of examples where people have snapped a tibia in half while doing a squat, or prolapsed their bowel under a heavy squat. Also, within a gym the hazards are there and rarely reported. Gyms choose poor equipment sometimes, for instance one of the Gainesville gyms from long ago had 'Sears' benches - so the supports were too close together. If you had 225 on the bar and stripped one side, the bar would flip over. I almost got crushed by one once because the guy next to me unloaded the bar. There's no reason to unload more than 45lbs at a time in order to be safe, and certainly, a gym should purchase better equipment than that. Also, there are examples every year where machines fail. For example, there was a cable pulldown machine that catastrophically broke, and the guy using it caved in his face as the cable broke and the pulldown bar slammed into him as he was pulling down. If he had inspected the machine before using it - as in taking 3 seconds to look at the cable and pulley wheels - he would have seen the cable was heavily frayed and avoided that machine.

This injury highlights something people rarely ever think of: the barbell. It's my understanding the barbell used in this incident was relatively cheap. When you watch powerlifting contests and the Olympics, you see bars that flex a lot. That's the type of bar you want. Some long time lifters I've spoken to claim that had this guy been using a top quality bar he likely would not have been injured much, if at all. The extreme flex in these bars would have changed the impact entirely. I haven't had a bar fall on me in that manner but from my experience with heavy weight, the better quality bar definitely feels 'softer' and easier to handle, control, etc.

Top quality bars are expensive, but if I construct another home gym for myself, that will be the first investment. Also, better quality bars, combined with quality bumper plates, make a difference in the longevity of your equipment.
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    Lot of hate for cross fit. I enjoyed watching the competitions on TV and the gym is getting so boring I quit going. At 40, I don't need to bench 250 lbs anymore.

I walked in Monday and gave it a shot. I signed up after The first session. The fastest, most fulfilling, and most fun hour of exercise of my life.

My two concerns are losing weight (I actually want to keep or add mass, but am sick of heavy lifting), and hurting my back. After the first day, I couldn't sleep because my whole body was sore to the core. It felt incredible.

I don't plan on doing heavy weight when it comes to the Olympic lifting.

I know why people rave about it who do it, because it's fun and addicting.

What I don't get is the haters. btw, it's just normal joes looking to stay in great shape I n most classes - not looking to show out and compete on ESPN.. And I would never work out with doofus hipsters.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  16. ian

ian Sophomore

Ratings Received:
    +514
    Watching their form is hilarious and the flopping around when doing pull ups is comical
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    I agree. I don't get the swinging pull-ups on TV. I do mine correctly as I'm not competing. I guess if you get your chin over the bar, no matter how, they consider it a pull up. Still, those people are machines.
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes All American

Ratings Received:
    +5,236
    I don't know if the stats back it up but everyone I know that's done cross fit has had some kind of injury, most pretty serious. I tore my patellar tendon off my knee cap. Took some bone with it requiring surgery within the week. It definitely makes working out more interesting though.
  19. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    I don't doubt it. Plenty of people have horrible form. I use less weight on all the Olympic style lifting than is recommended so I don't. My body feels great so far. In only about 6 weeks my core is much stronger than it was prior to crossfit and I feel much stronger overall. I do still worry about my back. I don't get into the competitive nature of it like some do. I think it causes people to rush and cut corners. I'm there for me.
  20. GameTime5

GameTime5 Junior

Ratings Received:
    +559
    I think a lot has to do with the individual. It's similar to driving a car. Cars aren't unsafe - people driving the cars are. Folks driving above the speed limit, not wearing seat belts, worried about the radio or texting. It's the same with crossfit - or any other physical activity. If you crossfit and use good form, your chances of getting injured are limited. Can it happen? Sure. You can be driving safe down the road and have a tire blowout and cause an accident.

Crossfit doesn't promote bad form, individuals do. Now with the competitive nature of it, I see where folks make the correlation. I always tell people that are interested to look around - pick a gym where you trust the coach. There are bad coaches out there. But more often than not there are good ones.

As for kipping, there is strength training and there is efficiency. Kipping is just an efficient tool.