Criticisms of Wiggins

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Nov 12, 2013.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,252
    I wish our crowd hadn't done the "overrated" chant for Wiggins. I figured that might bring him out of his shell and it did.

Not sure he can always shoot like that, however.

Bowie had hardly any pro career at all due to injuries. We'll never know how good he would have been without the injuries, but he was an outstanding player prior to the injuries - no stiff.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I'm not defending Sam because he played at UK. I wasn't born yet when he first played for the school. But I watched the 30 for 30 film called "Going Big" recently (which details his injury plagued career) and was shocked at how good he was. The NBA film I saw of him shows him as much more of a "stiff" than what it looks like he was in college. Different player.

By the way, I know the 30 for 30 series (and SEC storied) are old news by now, but if any of you haven't watched many of those documentaries then go do it now. They're phenomenal IMO. You can even find many on youtube. Just do it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Absolutely wrong. Sam Bowie was a great player and anything but a 'tall stiff". He just kept breaking his leg. I guess Jordan would have a tough time playing on a broken leg.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    First a rant.

Wiggans is the real deal. He already has the refs looking to make the call every time he touches the ball. Freshman year and he already gets that courtesy. Even Shaq didn't get that.

Now the rant is over.

Very talented kid. More of a Durant type than a Lebron type, but that is not a bad thing to be. He is VERY good.
  5. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I thought the refs did pretty well in the game. I was there didn't see it from yalls view but fouls seemed consistent for the most part. Felt like Young was getting hit a lot down low though and not getting calls but it was hard to tell from my seat
  6. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I can't disagree more. In the first half they did a great job but in the second they were atrocious. The ticky tacky fouls didn't bother me because they called those both ways. Instead it was the missed calls on Kansas that killed me. There were three in a row that got them back into the game. First Embiid elbowed Pat in the face 2x without a call and then a touch foul was called on PY, the second was a travel on Greene that wasn't called and subsequently led to a basket after the pass, and the third was an OOB call off Scottie.
  7. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I was at the game it's much harder to see. From where I sat I thought it was called decently and I didn't hear a ton of complaints around me(well more than usual of course). I haven't got to see the replay yet though of course. I try to give refs benefit of doubt because I am a USPTA official and work tournaments occasionally and I know it's tough sometimes. But there is no added pressure for high school tennis and college tennis I ref like major college basketball so it's much different of course lol.
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    There are some amazingly good true freshmen this year, and Wiggins is certainly one of, if not the best of the batch due to his amazing versatility.
  9. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Randle, Wiggins, Parker, Embiid will all be NBA studs. Embiid has only played for 3 yrs. Also, the giant on FSU's team-he's an NBA draft pick as well. Still learning the game, but fast.
    I'd take Randle 1st. Reminds me of Magic. Tough matchup for any team. Wiggins reminds me of Kobe
  10. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I was there, too. As always disputable calls on both sides, but I didn't think one or the other team got an advantage based on playing style.

Very impressed with Wiggins offensively, but harder to tell defensively. I don't know how much he had to do with Prather--middle was clogged, but don't know if that was Embiid, etc., or outside guys. I'm not enough of an NBA fan to know how well his game translates, or which lottery team would make the most sense (although sense doesn't seem to have much to do with it)
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    From Chad Ford (the citing of which just isn't as fun with Tupac not around...):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...id-creeps-top-3-julius-randle-dante-exum-fall
    • Informative Informative x 1