Criticisms of Wiggins

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    Sam Bowie redux
  2. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    I'm not sure why you think Wiggins has no skills. I'm guessing you just haven't seen him much. For a guy his size he has decent handles and is a better shooter at this stage of his career then LBJ. Why do you think Wiggins doesn't work his ass off on his game. He didn't get to be the best player in his class based purely on athleticism. Does he need to improve a ton sure but the base is there to build off of. Guys like Westbrook and George were much more works in progress than where Wiggins is right now.

Also, I wasn't comparing he and LBJ as players as much as comparing a player with a more polished game that translated easily like Carmelo/ Parker and out of this world athletes like LBJ/Wiggins. Also, truthfully no one is LBJ as an athlete, but Wiggins is the closest thing since.
  3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,560
    Except for his jump shot, I thought LeBron came into the league very polished. From the beginning, I was as amazed by his passing virtuosity as by his physical attributes. I got over my "Chosen One" skepticism immediately when I saw what a passing savant he was right out of high school.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
  5. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I wish he was at Kentucky, as bad as he is!
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    Meyer is correct. The hype machine regarding Wiggins was out of control and it is unfair to him. Parker and Randle are clearly ahead of him right now, but it is a long season.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    I think Randle #1 in college. Parker #2, Aaron Gordon #3 This is after a month of basketball. Wiggins like his dad is very talented. I don't see the intensity yet that his dad had at FSU. Who knows what Chris Walker will bring late in the season. Chris physically is behind these 3. Once he gets acclimated to college hoops and spends a year working on his body and any weaknesses, anything is possible. Hurry up Chris. #1 NBA pick, Randle or Parker, both different as to the reasons everyone has given. Myself I like Randle in that he is so physical.
  8. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Randle is a clone of Zach Randolph...he is really tough around the basket and could develop his outside shot. He sure does get away with a ton of traveling for college...it is almost like the college officials are allowing him the NBA travel steps but everyone else gets called for it.
  9. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    I know he's not on our team, but he's been the most hyped high school player since Lebron. Based on your observations, what do you think? I saw a guy who really did fit the Tracy McGrady mold in a lot of ways...with even less aggression. I think he's a dynamic athlete with a skillset that needs to be harnessed, and although it seems we kept him in check, he was still able to generate 26 points. If he continues to mature and grow, he's going to be pretty devastating come Tourney time. He may have more upside athletically, but I still think Parker or Randle are better right now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +712
    Seeing Wiggins in person tonight was an absolute treat. Guy moved so smoothly out there. SOmetimes I felt like he was on ice skates while everyone else was standing still. Effortless shot as well. Kid is going to do well in the NBA and glad we won't face him again.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    He played very well. Just such a rare athlete. The question, as when this thread started, is what his upside will be like. Can he develop a go-to move? Tonight, most of his points came off transition buckets or long, contested threes. They don't run much for him to be a catch and shoot player, I only remember a couple of pick and rolls wit him handling the ball (they weren't successful), he doesn't post up much, nor does he do much in that elbow/mid range area. His upside will ultimately be determined by what he learns to rely on and how he complements that.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    I'm still sticking by McGrady: that's his potential and what he can surpass. Sometime guys are just too talented for their own good though and just coast through on it.
  13. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    He reminded me a little bit of Bradley Beal in the first half tonight, kind of standing around and deferring too much but he showed why he gets the hype in the second half

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
    • Like Like x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,231
    If he ever puts it all together he really can be that good. Just needs consistency, which will come with time if he works at it, but it's pretty clear the pieces are there.
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    I don't get this hesitancy regarding Wiggins. All he needs to do is work on adding one element to his game each offseason like most players do and he will be accounted among the greats. With his raw talent alone he will do well in the NBA.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    I don't think anyone doubts that he will do well. The bigger question is how he compares to other elite candidates for next year's draft, in particular Randle and Parker.
  17. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    agree, also being compared to lebron james doesn't help the cause either. wiggins is a good player. we'll have to wait and see
  18. xUFxGators

xUFxGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Randle would be my first pick because he and Parker are the best >basketball< players out of the freshman, except I think Randle will carve out a Duncan like career as a fundamental double-double machine.
  19. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    im not seeing the duncan comparison at all. but i think i get the basic point of what you are trying to say. parker seems to be the best so far to me; strong, quick, can play inside and out and can jump out of the gym. randle is the third best out of the big 3 freshman this year in my opinion.
  20. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    He will without a doubt, have a better professional career than Sam Bowie. Sam was a tall stiff. Wiggins is on a young team that hasn't put it together to play together yet. They will figure it out over a long season. Freshman lessons are hard to swallow for Jayhawk fans.