Criticisms of Wiggins

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Nov 12, 2013.

1. DGBarnes

DGBarnes New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Wiggins looks a little too mechanical sometimes with his movements, almost similar to Dwight Howard in the sense that he never really looks fluid or smooth. He comes off as being a bit stiff that's all. Not that it's THAT big of an issue, Lebron has pinches of the same thing and he does just fine.

Watching Parker on the other hand, he seems SUPER fluid and natural, no doubt he will be great.
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Parker really impressed me.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    I think a lot of the turnovers is the result of the crowded lanes right now that everyone is packing the paint. Once the UK guards starting hitting their shots and teams extend their defense, I suspect the turnovers drop significantly.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Especially when everyone realized he was actually something like three years older than he was thought to be also.

On the other hand, I'd say last nights freshmen lived up to the hype. This really is an impressive class.
  5. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Back to the thread topic. I was impressed by both Wiggins and Parker. Those two are fine players. Wait till February.

Wiggins can flat out move and he proved he can play defense already based on his second half performance against Duke. He is quick.
  6. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Interesting discussion in this thread. I agree this is the best class in some time, but it's really no contest who goes number one. Wiggins is a special talent. Parker and Randle are both wonderful players but the way I explain it to people is this: Wiggins has the potential to be the best player in the world some day, Parker has the ability to be top 5 and Randle top 20. That's an amazing compliment for all three but Wiggins is that special an athlete. He is so much stronger than people realize. They see his fluidity and leaping ability and speed but his strength surprises people.

I was texting with some people during the Kansas Duke game that Wiggins needed to get touches in the paint. He is a monster down there when he goes there. At the time he had 8 PTs and they were down. I give Self credit, he saw it too and got Wiggins some Iso touches and I thought that really changed the game.

As a basketball coach I love Parker's game and he undoubtedly has a better feel right now, I just don't think he projects quite as well as Wiggins. It's close though. I think both guys will be All NBA players in their future.

Randle is also very fun to watch. Plays hard and moves well although not like the other two. I see no reason a player that plays as hard as him won't keep improving his skills. As he continues to mature I think he will develop a beautiful inside out game. He's a multiple time All Star to me.

All in all like Rserina said what a fun class to follow and there are so many other players from this class I could see one day playing in an All Star game. Embiid and Walker just to name a couple. I really recommend to any big bball fans to see them play in person. You won't be disappointed.
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    I would put Randle ahead of Wiggins. He reminds me of a big Lebron. He is bigger and stronger than Wiggins and has a much better handle. He can play every position from the 1 through the 5. I expect his outside shot to get better over time.
  8. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Randle may very well be a better college player than Wiggins due to his consistent effort and how he imposes his will on the other team. However, as a potential Pro it's not very close. I think it's a pretty safe bet based on what I know about Wiggins that like LBJ he will learn how and when to take over games. It may not be until after a few years on the league but barring something bad happening everything I know about Wiggins leads me to believe he figures it out.

Like I said I love Randle and can get on board with him being the second best college Frosh behind Parker this year. Just don't think his upside is quite what Wiggin's is.
  9. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Interesting discussion.

All of these kids played pretty well Tuesday.
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    We should find out in the next few years. Who do you think will play in an NBA All-Star game first among the 3? My guess is Randle.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    I just don't see this yet. How many of his buckets (or drawn fouls) came outside of post up opportunities on the block? How much did he impact the game on offense outside of the blocks? How many good passes did he make? Or how many jumpers? How many times did he press the ball up the court (by my count, it was as many times as Cauley--once)?

Again, I love him as a collegiate player and from what I have seen in one game against a darn good post defense like MSU you may well be right that he is the odds on favorite to win collegiate player of the year. But the whole "big Lebron" and "he can play the 1 through 5" is crazy, even at the collegiate level, let alone the next.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Wiggins's athleticism and explosiveness are off the charts. Great length, soft hands, jumping ability, open court speed. But it is strictly based on potential right now. Randle and Parker are both miles ahead of him in skill level and basketball smarts. You know what you will get with those two at the next level. But it is hard to know about Wiggins. Granted, I was watching our game and only caught bits of the first half against Duke, then the whole second half, but outside of one good pass off the elbow and a couple of sick finishes in transition where he leaked out, I didn't see one thing that I thought would translate to the next level. Some things he can develop, like post moves or a perimeter shot. But what about court vision? Poise and competitiveness? Aggressiveness? I see those things in Randle and Parker in spades right now, less so in Wiggins. Granted, it is early. He reclassified. He played prep ball against pretty underwhelming Canadian competition. Lots of reasons to explain why his game isn't as developed as Randle's or Parker's.

As I said above, I completely see why you have to take Wiggins--he is probably the best athlete at the collegiate level since Vince Carter, only with far greater length and versatility (which is huge plus given the direction the league is going). Way too much upside. But I think it is crazy to brush aside the concerns.
  13. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Well said
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Interesting perspective from Kevin Durant:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-durant-says-andrew-wiggins-has---hall-of-famer--all-star--potential-063545336.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  15. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    :jeez: Not surprised at Kevin's perspective. I think he is right on. Parker is the better player now, but Wiggins potential strength and athleticism give him a higher upside. I literally just finished lunch with a NBA guy and both of us agreed Wiggins goes number 1 Parker most likely number 2 ( depends on team ). We see it almost like the year Carmelo and LBJ came out in that you knew how good Carmelo was as a shooter and showed what he could do as a freshman, but LBJ was a once in a generation athlete. Not comparing the actual players who are very different only that Parker is already polished and closer to what he will ultimately be and Wiggins is just a freakish athlete who as Durant said has even more room to get stronger and one thing nobody at the NBA really worries about is his ability to learn the game. He has grown so much the past few years and that work ethic that has allowed him to improve so much will lead him to getting so much better as a player.

Remember LBJ who always had an amazing feel as a passer did not have a great feel for scoring or asserting his will on a game. He was criticized on this a ton until he won a championship. These guys learn and grow as they mature and play with other great players.
  16. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    Next years draft is going to be ridiculous. You cant lose with Randle, Wiggins, or Parker. Not to mention, there are plenty of guys behind them that will be elite talents.

A good year to have guys like Walker and Hill, who will probably want to wait for a weaker draft.
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    haha and joe dumars toook darko #2
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    My guess is that Randle goes in the top 2. However, Parker looks like a great player.
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    Did anyone else have Moses Malone flashbacks watching Randle going at it offensively in the paint against MSU? He's a handful. Looking forward to seeing our guys battle him.

Agree that Parker is very impressive! We (reserina and others) discussed this some back when the high school All-Star games were being played.

Right now, I like Parker over Wiggins. But, haven't seen Wiggins in real games much yet. Almost every time I got a chance to sit down for a second and check out the Kansas/Duke game, he wasn't on the floor. Did see Parker hit a couple of sweet-looking jumpers.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    One thing I didn't include in the block quote for space reasons was that Durant working with Parker at his camp, so he may be a little biased.

Regardless, I don't see the comparison between Wiggins and Lebron. James was an absolute gym rat with great court vision, handle, competitiveness, etc. You predicted that with some work on his shot, he could be a multidimensional wing or point forward. As a rookie, the Cavs played him plenty at the one. Each year James--like Durant--has added something substantial to his package, but he was more than a bundle of athleticism coming out of high school.