Crazy Uncle of modern conservatism on the March on Washington

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Aug 29, 2013.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    Yeah, it does seem weird to have Southern conservatives blasting the Democrats because they used to have a lot of Southern conservatives.
  2. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +522
    It's too bad he never joined the KKK and was promoted to Exalted Cyclops. Then he could have been a liberal hero..

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ds-KKK-History-Shows-Partisan-Double-Standard

From Byrd 's Obit...

As a young man, Mr. Byrd was an ‘exalted cyclops’ of the Ku Klux Klan. Although he apologized numerous times for what he considered a youthful indiscretion, his early votes in Congress--notably a filibuster against the 1964 Civil Rights Act--reflected racially separatist views.
  3. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    LittleBlueLW
    You don't see the ideological similarities in your signature statement and these comments?

A 1957 editorial written by Buckley, "Why the South Must Prevail" (National Review, 8/24/57), cited the "cultural superiority of white over Negro" in explaining why whites were "entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas where [they do] not predominate numerically." Appearing on NPR’s Fresh Air in 1989 (rebroadcast 2/28/08), he stood by the passage. "Well, I think that's absolutely correct," Buckley told host Terry Gross when she read it back to him.

A 1960 National Review editorial supported South Africa’s white minority rule (4/23/60): "The whites are entitled, we believe, to preeminence in South Africa." In a 1961 National Review column about colonialism—which the magazine once called "that brilliantly conceived structure" (William F. Buckley, John Judis)--Buckley explained that "black Africans" left alone "tend to revert to savagery." The same year, in a speech to the group Young Americans for Freedom, Buckley called citizens of the Congo "semi-savages" (National Review, 9/9/61).

National Review editors condemned the 1963 bombing of a black Birmingham Church that killed four children, but because it "set back the cause of the white people there so dramatically," the editors wondered "whether in fact the explosion was the act of a provocateur—of a Communist, or of a crazed Negro" (Chicago Reader, 8/26/05).

Just months before the 1965 Voting Rights Act was passed, Buckley warned in his syndicated column (2/18/65) that "chaos" and "mobocratic rule" might follow if "the entire Negro population in the South were suddenly given the vote." In his 1969 column "On Negro Inferiority" (4/8/69), Buckley heralded as "massive" and "apparently authoritative" academic racist Arthur Jensen's findings that blacks are less intelligent than whites and Asians.

Your signature blames the "danger" of the electorate.
    Buckley only went a little further by saying most blacks shouldn't be allowed to vote.
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Ah yes, the great Robert Byrd who was the democrats nominee for president that .... Whaaa????

Hey buddy, there were a bunch of southern democrats you could pick from who fit that bill (despite ob's chart above, I don't think many people think of WV as a northern state). Guess what? Many of them left the party over civil rights and ended up as republicans, and/or that's where their heirs landed. Don't you know anything about the history of the twentieth century?
  5. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +522
    No..it seems weird for liberals to single out conservatives for attacks on past held beliefs and forget abut those in their own house. Well, actually not weird, just hypocritical, which is ops normal for libs, so actually it's just another day on TH.
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,246
    Of course it is. I come from the south and my family, on both sides, go back before the civil war but there is no doubt who objected to the civil rights movement. It is what it is. Doesn't mean people can't change because they do. See the last days of George Wallace's life for an example.
  7. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Does Byrd being in the KKK mean that Buckley didn't write that stuff about the march?
  8. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    Well, I'll just take my lumps and bow out of the argument; knowing that I am perfectly fine describing myself as conservative, the way I defined it, not the way a couple of race baiting internet bad asses want to.

And thanks for the history lesson. It was enlightening, insightful and entertaining.

But isnt Buckley dead?
  9. FlyingGatorII

Ratings Received:
    +522
    Forgive me Row. I forgot about rule number 134.78 in your manual where poor decisions are OK if you were never your party's nominee for President. Your attacks are both superficial and hypocritical. Your attempt to tie anyone here with conservative beliefs with racist views is as typical and pathetic as usual. Like I said before, just another day on TH.
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,654
    you proved he was a liar- I sure as hell do not see that proof and I noticed they deleted your post calling him a liar-you are flat out a piece of work hoss
  11. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    I try not to read faux outrage into everything. It reads well and has a good message. That's all.
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    As to your proof, you'll have to read some history bill. I'm not wasting my time regurgitating the things we all should know as high school grads, let alone college.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  13. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,246
    I'm surprised you didn't see one of the logical replies to the post you were replying to.

Just because someone says they are a liberal doesn't mean they follow all the tenets which may have been originally laid down.

Just because someone calls themselves a conservative does not mean they follow all of the original tenets or those of another person who was a follower.

Just because someone call themselves a Christians does not mean they are in lock step with other Christians.
  14. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Yep
  15. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    I'm not really the one that you need to point this out to Hall. But thanks. Perhaps some others here could use this reminder while calling all conservatives racists.

Surely you didnt miss those?
  16. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Of course I didn't do as you allege though perhaps you have a guilty conscience. As I began this thread, others on TH and elsewhere have tried to make out MLK as a republican and a conservative whose ideas have been abandoned by liberals. The argument is on history and the obvious attempt to rewrite it by modern conservatives. If you are one and have made that claim, you lost. If not, you don't have to put on that shoe.
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Who did that?
  18. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,246
    I was trying to help you out. It wasn't a negative post aimed at you.
  19. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

I can accept that....

Which tenets do you not follow Buckley on but consider yourself a conservative?

Here's an example of what I mean:

Conservative Idea: Property Rights over Civil Rights
    Buckley argued that small southern merchants would be forced to serve customers they didn't want to because of civil rights legislation, i.e. restaurants, hotels would have to serve blacks in the same manner as whites

He determined that violated the small business owners rights.

Do you agree?

This isn't a 60's problem solved by civil rights legislation.
    Rand Paul is talking this crap right now in the republican party
  20. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,246
    I don't really call myself anything. Maybe a moderate but that really doesn't describe me any better than it may describe others. I don't follow tenets laid down by any party or person but rather take each thing as I see it.

I voted for Bush twice, Obama once, and last time I was so sick of all of them I vote for Gary Johnson. Put most all of the politicians in Washington in a bag and shake it. Which ones fall out first is anyone's guess. Politics is killing this country and we are all party to it.