Crazy Uncle of modern conservatism on the March on Washington

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Aug 29, 2013.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I'm glad you are being amused, but I have no idea what "the entire Democratic Party" did in the 60s and 70s. Seems like there was a great deal of disunity in politics on all sorts of things back then, like the war, civil rights, and other issues. Not to mention that the parties did no reflect the left/right polarization of 2013. Maybe you need to be more specific in your rant.
  2. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    Not ranting. Just amused by the spin by those who support the party that voted against equal rights then and now.
  3. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

What's more amazing is that conservatives here don't know anything about the people who created the political movement they follow today.

Ronald Reagan & other conservatives (and the rest of the educated world) have anointed him the father of modern conservatism....not me.

Still need to make personal attacks instead of a educated relevant point here?

Conservatives called MLK a racist, Lewis a troublemaker, Evers a racist too.

I guess you're just a another "Buckley/Goldwater/Reagan" conservative
    :laugh:
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26

As if the righties on TH and elsewhere haven't be trying to claim MLK as their own and whose principles liberals have now abandoned. Don't get into an argument about history if you can't stand losing.

BTW, Goldwater - the Republican presidential candidate of that period - ran against the civil rights act, so we not only have the leader of the conservative intellectuals but their political leader as well, both on the the wrong side of history and enemies of everything MLK fought for.
  5. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +697
    But whenever it gets pointed out to the left that the Democrats voted against the civil rights act they try and claim the parties were reversed then. So by that 'spin' wouldn't Goldwater be yours? More spin in three, two, one.......
  6. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I've voted for the party who's president signed and supported the Voting Rights and Civil Rights legislation into law in the 60s, and the New Deal in the 30s, so, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not terribly troubled by the fact that before I was born some Southern racists were Democrats who gave varying support or opposition to those things. The Democratic party goes back to Andrew Jackson, and you can find many, many historical issues that that party was on the wrong side of. Those people are basically all dead now. As an adult capable of thinking, I'm aware that history isnt black and white (excuse the pun), divided between good guys and bad guys, especially if were purely basing this on political parties. My voting preferences arent based off of party platforms from 1865, or 1930 or 1964.
  7. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,999
    You are very thin skinned. Nary a personal attack in my previous post.

I dont know a lot about any of those guys you mention. I am a lot younger than you are obviously. When I think conservative, I think of it more on a personal level than a national party level. I think, among other things, be smart with your money and live your life as to honor your God, family, country and fellow man. There is not a political party that resonates any of those ideas IMO.

You and Row obviously have a different meaning for conservative and I now realize that. I aint one of em and its just too bad in all your vitriol you cant converse about a subject that obviously is sensitive to you.
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,383
    No, it doesn't mean that conservatives feel that way today. Not at all. But the march is being recreated on its 50th anniversary, and there's certainly nothing wrong with looking at how Americans viewed the original one at the time.
    It is what it is.
  9. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    You mean some Democrats, right? Because some did vote for it, and a Democratic president signed it into law. This is an extremely dubious argument you're making. I think when people like you point this out, the intent is more to rile up certain people, rather than make any kind of intelligent point.
  10. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You are so wrong that it will be a complete waste of breath arguing with you. Here, read some history and get back to us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

You can also read this summation by MLK himself:

http://www.thekingcenter.org/archive/document/mlk-republican-nomination-barry-goldwater
  11. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,999
    See my response to 996.

Question: Is there anything more recent than a dead President from the 80s to impugn conservatives with? And likewise, isnt it sad that the movement that MLK started hasnt been championed by any leader effective enough to see it continue?
  12. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +697
    The record clearly shows who voted for what. The rest is spin. Democrats led the vote against civil rights. Just as they continue to lead the vote on policy that keeps the black man down today.
  13. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Putting aside your bulls..t last sentiments - whatever they mean - the argument is on history. You lost.
  14. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Stop feeding the troll, guys.
  15. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,383
    Liberal Democrats voted for the bill, conservative Southern Democrats opposed it. Simple as that.
  16. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Then a history lesson...

The idea of being conservative but not a republican... Buckley's

Sensitive?
    Not. You by your own admission use the label and don't know what it means.
    Or its history.

I'm sensitive in pointing that out to you? :jeez:

Buckley & the National Review aren't some old historical bunch you don't know about because of your age...

They're the people leading the conservative movement right now...today...

Its amazing.
    When a person like Ronald Reagan says he's from Buckley's lineage of conservatism and conservatives deny the truth in that statement but all swear to be Reagan conservatives...

What other conclusion could someone come to other than you don't know what you're talking about?
  17. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,999
    what?
  18. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    And conservative republicans - like the man the party nominated as their presidential candidate that year - voted against it. We all know now that none of those republicans who voted for it would still be in the party today, or they'd be "primaried", out See Sen Lugar of Indiana, most recently.
  19. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I already have.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    What a weird argument here

The pattern here seems fairly obvious and it ain't one of political parties.