Crazed Lefties on Seattle City Council to Consider Repealing Head Tax

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jun 11, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,362
    Ha ha! Seattleites have already collected enough signatures (including two from my household) to have this put on the ballot as a referendum and the city council knows the head tax is going to be voted down in November, so I guess they're trying to save face, and no doubt their jobs. I think this might finally be the tipping point on the homeless problem here.

Seattle City Council to consider repealing head tax

Seattle City Council is expected to vote Tuesday on legislation that would repeal the city’s recently passed head tax.

Seven Seattle council members and Mayor Jenny Durkan released a statement Monday that said: "We heard you."

"It is clear that the ordinance will lead to a prolonged, expensive political fight over the next five months that will do nothing to tackle our urgent housing and homelessness crisis," the statement read. "These challenges can only be addressed together as a city, and as importantly, as a state and a region."

Council President Bruce Harrell sponsored the legislation to repeal a $275-per-employee tax on businesses grossing more than $20 million in revenue.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,195
    Maybe they can just get the money for that stuff by increasing everyone's property taxes there. Sounds like a good cause.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,483
    The title of your thread is wrong. If you are repealing a tax, you are a crazed rightie. But, good to support the job creators. More jobs, more revenue, better products and services. @fastsix, you had me fooled!
  4. finorman

finorman GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +733
    I’d like to vote for raising taxes in Seattle.... I don’t have ID or an address but as I understand it that’s not a problem in your beautiful city.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +30,981
    Looks like the City Council sees the writing on the wall.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. mutz87

mutz87 Famishus Vulgarus VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,782
    • Like Like x 3
  7. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,362
    Yep, tens of thousands of illegal immigrants voted here. trump's voter fraud commission will find them any day now. Oh wait, no it won't, trump couldn't find any illegal votes to justify its existence so trump disbanded his voter fraud commission. Never mind.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +6,195
    Lol most just refused to cooperate.
  9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,362
  10. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,985
    "Rash Head Tax" sounds very unhealthy. It's bad enough that you have it, it seems unfair to enforce a tax on those who may be afflicted. If you leave the dermatological implications out of it--'head tax'--is it proper that city government accrue revenue based on sexual practices??
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,811
    I guess the residents want to bear the costs themselves instead of passing them on to corporations. :shrug:
  12. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,589
    The residents caused the problem because they voted in the people who declared it a Sanctuary and made homelessness a lifestyle. So, yes, they should have to carry the burden.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,627
  14. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,362
    It was a done deal as soon as they announced it was being considered. They could let stick around until the November elections, and have it repealed by the referendum, or get it out of the news right now. No city council elections until 2019 and people have short memories, so their choice was obvious. There is also a huge property tax levy on the 2018 ballot for education that would have been hurt by all of this. There was no upside to keeping this around once it was obvious it was going to be repealed one way or another.

This is the way it's supposed to work when the people we elect do something stupid; we're supposed to rein them in and we did. I just hope people keep the pressure on them to show results now that we see pressure can make a difference. I also think the city council just got a wake up call. It's easy to let bad decisions slide around here right now because there's so much money in this city, but we already spend $60 million a year on the homeless. At the very least there shouldn't be tents on the sidewalk across from the Space Needle, especially when those idiots aren't even from here.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,627
    Wife and kids were there for6 days last week, I flew out for the weekend, and we saw lot of homeless everywhere and they weren't shy about asking for cash. Definitely took something away from the experience. Seeing some of the same in Anchorage. Opiods are to blame for a lot of it from what I can tell. Big pharma and pain docs should be locked up and profits confiscated and dedicated to the problem. Once again,gubmnt regulators failed and continue to fail to do their job. FDA and justice department handling of the issue was a joke. 60 minutes did a good report on it. Why pay for thee agencies if they are so damn incompetent?
  16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,362
    I definitely have "compassion fatigue". Every now and then I'll see something that still gets through - saw some teenage kid eating out of the garbage cans at Pike Place Market and gave him money to buy some food, but for every moment like that, there are a dozen asshole adults with their tents in the middle of the sidewalk surrounded by garbage and stolen items that make me not want to care. We really need to differentiate between the homeless people here who want help, and those who simply choose to live that life. I'm sure the latter is the minority, but they are visible and annoying minority that ruin it for everyone. It's hard to justify another $50 million in homeless spending when some idiots from West Virginia put their tent right in the middle of one of the most heavily touristed parts of the city and dare the city to remove them...and the city doesn't. That's really everything wrong about this issue in one story.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +6,195
  18. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,798
    Gotta love Bernie!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,362
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +36,819
    Lol... like they need an excuses to steal more money from their residents... :eek:;):D
    • Like Like x 1