Could UF upset UGA next season?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jhbyrd, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,817
    I’m looking forward to the exchange between you guys after the Florida-Georgia game :D

We need to keep this thread alive so you have plenty of I told you so material and old posts to spoon feed each other.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    He could be right and UF again has bad luck on injuries/suspensions ( in spite of the odds against it) and UGA's good injury/suspension luck continues.

I just learned last season you should not count your healthy player chickens before they hatch. Especially before spring practice and summer suspension season. Chem's claimed certainty has little credibility until after fall practice. Let's see how it plays out. If only male teenagers didn't make dumb decisions.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,658
    Are you expecting the new staff to make the difference? We essentially had the same DL last game and there will be fewer on the field this October. Admittedly we did not have our LB corp available or healthy. I wish Miss St had played a closer game last season(31-3) then I could feel that our better roster could make a difference with CDM's offense. But even then the equalizer to that is that Miss St had a mature system in place while we are first season in it with questionable QB play(at this point). I really hope we keep it close. But right now I don't think we win without some good fortune- TOs, pick 6s, fumbles. If it happens that way I will gladly take it!
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,808
    With an improved strength and conditioning program, better special teams, better offense (an offence) better morale, better coaching and some new studs, we could have a decent team. If whoever is QB can just dump it off to our play-makers things could get pretty good. Opens up the deeper stuff. Georgia should have some drop off, not much. I always think we can beat them.

Lets see how the spring game unfolds. More will be revealed soon...

Go Gators.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    UF QB finally has the play makers to dump it off too. A healthy Toney has top tier moves. Cleveland with a healed ankle is a deep threat. Scarlett who missed UGA is very good in tight traffic. 6 foot 4 hurdles champion Grimes can get the 50/50 balls. Van Jefferson is extremely good at getting open.

If Franks can't see the open WRS this year he will likely be replaced.

UGA's 5 star WR Mecole Hardman has better straight away speed but Toney has better moves in traffic.

:::: Mecole Hardman Jr. on Hudl

:::: Kadarius Toney on Hudl

UF's CBs also have the high end speed like Hardman.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    You just made my point as LBs are very important to stopping the run and pass. UGA was able to get mismatches due to our missing LBs. Going to a 3 -4 we can move some of our high rated DEs like CECE to LB so adding those DEs to the returning suspended and injured LBS should fill that gap next UGA game. If they put more muscle on quick 6-6 LB Moon watch out.

The Miss state that faced UGA last season did not have the athletes UF will have the next UGA game.

Looking at Rivals if you total the number of 5/4 start recruits from 2014 to 2017 on the MSU team that faced UGA last season MSU had 1 FIVE star recruit and 18 FOUR star recruits.

The UF team that will face UGA next season ( based on 2015 thru 2018 Rivals classes) has recruited 3 FIVE star recruits and 43 FOUR star recruits. If UF clears Grimes and Jefferson it is 4 FIVE star recruits and 44 FOUR star recruits.

So Mullen will have 4 FIVE star recruits and 44 FOUR star recruits to play UGA next season versus 1 FIVE star and 18 FOUR star recruits he had last season. Shows why he left MSU.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +599
    As though Alabama's defense is a "typical" SEC defense...lol

But if they do, they should have a decided edge. One should never expect the maximum result from potential...
  8. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    LSU and Bama have a battle of premier defenses every year. UGA faces LSU the game prior to UF.
  9. eightiesgator

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Bama's defenses have been substantially better than ANYONE over the past decade, even ours and LSUs. But you said "FSU's QB sent down to an SEC defense "as if ALL SEC defenses are simply better than anyone else's, dadgumit!" FSU's QB could have just as easily gone down to a season-ending injury against Clemson, NC State or Miami's defense.

When a player goes down to injury, it is usually due to a freak accident, rather than a strong defense. We lost players for the season or for the career against teams like Ball State.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,063
    Let me get this straight. Florida finished last season 4-7, while losing six out of the last seven games. They had poor play from the offensive and defensive lines, and couldn't tackle. And now they're going to beat last season's runner-up to the national champion, who returns their QB and almost all of their OL and DL. Seriously? All because we're returning a half dozen or so players who were part of a criminal conspiracy last year, and we have FOUR (count-em, 1-2-3-4!) 5-star players on the team. What does Georgia have, ten 5-star players on their roster? Fifteen? UF probably needs to be a 10-2 kind of team before they beat the team that Georgia will field this year, unless they crash the team bus or fumble the game away. So we are counting on people who have a history of committing crime to (a) not commit crimes this year, and (b) save the team from having a rebuilding year and beat one of the best teams in the conference.

Bringing a team from a losing culture to a winning culture takes time (typically more than a year). Did Urban Meyer win big in his first season at UF? No, he didn't. Did Nick Saban win big in his first season in his first year at Bama? No, in fact, he lost to a directional school in Louisiana. What did Urban Meyer do in his first six months at UF? He kicked 11 players off the team, some of which were top recruits. They just couldn't get with the program. You could argue that he sacrificed a little from his first year so he could win bigger in his second year (which he did). And Meyer had the players on his team in 2005 to win that national championship in 2006. But they still couldn't get past nine wins in 2005 and couldn't make it to the SECCG. What does that tell you?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    Doesn't change that
    the SEC is known for defense and that LSU is known nationally for its defense. Bama is not the only good SEC defense. Even lower tier Vandy has put out good defenses before their coach went to PennState. LSU who you misinformedly said is not very good on defense had more players in the NFL than Bama.

Link: Which colleges and conferences have the most NFL players? LSU, Ohio State and SEC, Big Ten rank high

Link: For the 11th year in a row, the SEC has the most players selected in the NFL draft

If they can't play they can't play. UF had an very abnormal amount missing last year. Assuming it will repeat is illogical.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  12. eightiesgator

Ratings Received:
    +599
    First of all, you can't read. I NEVER said LSU is not very good on defense. Where did you get THAT from?!?

What I said was that LSU's defenses has not been as good as Alabama's over the past five years. And that is a fact.

Second, the SEC did not have more top 30 defenses than anyone else last year. The Big Ten had seven Top 30 defenses, while the ACC had five.

Third, not all SEC defenses are strong. Here are the Bottom Half of the SEC last year in total defense:

Ole Miss: 115th
    Arkansas: 101st
    Kentucky: 92d
    Mizzou: 82d
    Tennessee: 81st
    Texas A&M: 78th
    Vandy: 65th

Lots of teams were known for having great things -- in the past. Fun fact! Didja know that Florida was once known for having good OFFENSES?

Dial 1-800-WHOCARES? I don;t pilot-fish the freaking SEC. I still remember 1984.

I certainly hope you made excuses for Muschamp's two dozen lost starters in 2013 as well while you're at it.

You make it sound like "Gee, if only Scarlett and Calloway and our other nine backups were here, why, Florida would have competed for a playoff spot!"

What's next? Bragging that we won the Mighty SEC East in Mac's first two seasons?

Byrd, your unbridled enthusiasm is admirable, but sometimes you make expectations of greatness when the ingredients for greatness simply isn't there.

Wake up! We have a deep, experienced team this year, and we should rebound to the level of 9-4 in Mullen's transition year. Would I be happy if we ran the table and woon it all?!? Damned right I would be, as we all would be!!

But don't make Florida's greatness our Divine Right of Kings. Mullen, the staff, the players and the fans have to be patient.

Mods, I sincerely apologize if I went off to strong, but DAMN!!
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    You implied there was a big gap between Bama all SEC defenses but most of the games UGA opponent LSU plays against Bama are toe to toe on defense. No big gap and UGA plays LSU prior to our game.

You are missing the point. It is not the specific SEC team. My point was injuries happen especially versus tough defenses which the SEC has plenty of. And UGA plays LSU, Missouri and South Carolina who have good defensive coaches before they play UF. LSU /Bama games are trench warfare as they both have great defenses.

You act as though Alabama's DL is the only one in the SEC who can take out a QB. If Bama is a little bit higher on defense (than the LSU team that has put more talent in the NFL) it does not change the fact that injuries happen especially versus tough defenses. LSU has very good DLs returning like 5 star Tyler Shelvin. Even UGA opponents like Missouri and South Carolina have good DLs.

I said that UF could upset UGA. Where did I claim greatness? Those who claim it is highly unlikely for UF to beat a more talented UGA ignore history. Key injuries can even things out. Loaded Bama just lost to Auburn after excessive LB injuries.

Totally agree that 9-4 is possible depending on our injury luck. So what happens if a deep and experienced UF team gets good breaks on the injury front before UGA? Highly unlikely to beat an injured younger UGA team? Nope it would be a close game that we could win. Not highly unlikely UF could win.

Agree there is no Divine Right of Kings for UF. The point is that we should be patient to see how the injuries/ suspensions play out before surrendering to UGA this early in the process.

UF has filled huge gaps that we had versus UGA last season. As an example 5 star Grimes and 3 new 4 star WRS fill the UGA game WR gap 4 star Callaway's suspension caused. Scarlett fills the RB gap his suspension last year caused. UGA lost their leaders on defense.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,581
    I think it would be an upset if we don't beat them!
  15. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,808
    I still think UF could beat Georgia. Things are stacked against us, but weirder things have happened.

Besides having some offensive play-makers, we'll need to shut down some receivers too or it could be a long afternoon.

Let's see how we look at the Spring game.

Go Gators.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,658
    and 9-4 is a big challenge, especially if we lose one or two of our first five. I'm thinking 7 wins is a good first season. If we lose to both georgia and fsu I will be disappointed no matter what. georgia is an understandable loss, hope we do not get blown out. I hope we and miami beat fsu. My feeling at this point is that will matter in recruiting and right now I think recruiting is most important.

There is nothing wrong with unbridled enthusiasm but as you see it needs to be based on something logical and reasonable, not fantasy.

The year Muschamp beat them we were nothing special, we just got out there and outplayed them. If we are more ready we can win if a couple good things happen during the game. The fake FG for TD turned it all in our favor that game and georgia just never got back up. That could happen again especially with Mullen calling it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,817
    North Texas State also comes to mind
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    Reality is the UF gaps at RB, LB and WR during the UGA game have been filled if the new additions stay healthy. Reality is UGA lost their leaders on defense. That is not a fantasy. Now we wait to see how things really play out on the health situation and which players develop.

The sky is not falling. Reality is last year's terrible gaps are being filled.

Link: Florida's offense boasts depth at all offensive positions
  19. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,383
    Good point Malscott. Hopefully we will see there is a good reason why Saban and Meyer wanted Emory Jones.
  20. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,658
    No doubt we will be better. But regarding georgia I'm not sure how much those gaps cost us last season... hopefully that turns out to be the fix. But I still see a georgia team and staff that stifled Mullen and creamed us both last season. If we beat georgia Mullen is on his way. If we beat georgia and fsu Mullen will become an "it" coach and recruiting could go very well.
    • Agree Agree x 1