Could next week be history for Florida's big 3 universities.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by EMMITTSMITHFAN, Sep 21, 2013.

1. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    This reminds me of how friends of mine and I had an ongoing joke (that I have sometimes made on the boards) about Joe Cohen...such a nice Jewish boy. ;)
  2. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +830
    We had all had African American QBs that were very good if not great so not sure this is a big deal.
  3. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    In 1972,it was a big deal when in September, Tennessee and Georgia Tech played each other and both stared black quaterbacks.41 years later, not so much.
  4. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,204
    I think this makes my earlier point. It has happened, and no one noticed -- just as no one likely noticed the last time all 3 were quarterbacked by QBs who happen to be white (which is more noteworthy to me -- the fact that little to nothing was made of *that* occurrence as the end of an era, etc.).
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +934
    Well there is a significant asymmetry with "first" and "last" events in that "first" events are novel and often obviously so, whereas "last" events have often occurred several times and don't let onto the fact that they are the last event until much later.

EDIT: One more bit of asymmetry: last events are sometimes reversible, but first events are always irreversible. UF, FSU, and UM can all start white QBs on the same day again in the future, pushing back the date of this "last", but they can never alter the date of the first time that they all started black QBs.