Cornhole Timmy B out at CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GboroGator, Jan 14, 2014.

1. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Are you sure about this? He's spent the last decade blasting the WWL.
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    not sure. but saw tweets from a few espn people saying brando should come. a couple news sites have speculated, nothing confirmed but i got a feeling itl happen.
  3. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    I used to think this way, but once you listen to musburger, Vern is awesome. I also love how Vern mixes up names while calling a game, very entertaining to hear what he comes up with.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,260
    First step toward getting the pro SEC West bias out of that studio. The East has never existed to Brando, except for Florida whom he hates. It just really sucked to have the face of SEC football so openly hate its best team during the Urban years. I don't at all doubt that Meyer was a dick to Brando at some point and Brando never let it go. They deserved each other, but our program deserves better treatment by its flagship network.
  5. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Verne and Gary are by FAR my favorite broadcast in the country. Two guys who genuinely know and love football and the SEC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    Not a fan of Brando but this is concerning, anymore the newer announcers are wretchedly awful, just look at what fox rolls out.
  7. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,115
    Not a fan, but he wasn't that bad.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,672
    Can't hold a candle to king and Childers though.
  9. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,672
    I think Palmer & pollack is a great tandem...seems like they relate to the younger audience and both played so there's a wealth of knowledge between the two
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    both are color guys, and are usually paired with Rease? Davis who is a nice play by play announcer.
  11. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,672
    there's no doubt if they got behinf the microphones they would do a great job, in my opinion.
  12. swangator

swangator Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    It's easy to gripe about sports announcers and analysts because there are so many bad ones out there. I don't get bothered much by any of them choosing rather to just ignore the bluster, but brando was one of the few exceptions and I absolutely would not watch or listen to him. I'd mute the TV and put on music in the background rather than listen to that guy so I applaud his departure.

Unfortunately, ESPN for some truly inexplicable reason has a knack for hiring every low life that they can get there hands on. Ray Lewis??? Of all the ex=nfl guys they put that scumbag on the set?? Keyshawn Johnson, Merril Hoge who I loathe (and I'm a Steeler fan), Michael Irvin ... they even brought back one of the biggest jackasses in broadcasting history (and I have first hand knowledge) in Keith Olbermann. Paul Finebaum who truly has a face for radio ... I could go on and on. So I fully expect brando to have a plum assignment soon at ESPN.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. swampdeaf

swampdeaf Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Now that were talking announcers, the other day I watched the 87 uf - fsu game on youtube and you will never guess who CBS had paired up to call the game. Ole Verne did the play by play and Lee Corso did the commentary / analysis. Talk about a hoot!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,280
    Agree that compared to Mussberger, Verne is great... no matter how much he screws up.

He just loves the game and the big moments. He doesn't let personal biases color his broadcast. And he's not too full of himself.

But he is lucky to have GD there covering for his mistakes. And backing up what Bengerman posted, GD is great breaking things downs for the average fan as well as calling out plays he expects to see, and weaknesses in defenses. He complements Verne very well, so they make a good team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. denny_crane

denny_crane Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I hate that Speilman is so bad, because he seems like a decent guy but just doesn't have the timing or voice for a good color guy.

Brando, I've had 2 chances to meet him in social situations. 1st one he was very respectful to others around and pretty informative. 2nd- King of Doucheville.
  16. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    Ok, I get that I am clearly in the minority here... But I'm curious to know if every other SEC team boards (Ok, save maybe LSU) does not share the same opinion of him as it appears a majority of you do here?
    Now was (is) there a more SEC sports centric daily show on TV? Granted, he took calls and discussed football and basket ball teams from across the nation, but day in and day out, the majority of discussion was SEC centric in my opinion.
    Was he opinionated? You bet! Did he at least attempt to put some logic or rational behind it? Again, I'd say yes!
    Maybe its just that being of the same generation, I can easily relate to him.
    You gotta admit that he was not above putting his FSU loving producer in his place when it was appropriate! And as for his "relationship" with Urban, he (on air) stated that while at Utah, Urban was very approachable and was often a guest of the show. Once Urban went to UF, Urban changed, and was not as easily approached to be on the show. IMO Brando took that as showing his true colors and that he was now "too good/big" to do such things and felt jilted. You know... like a majority of the fan base felt jilted when he took the Ohio State job.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    He's not a fan of the Gators... This was too obvious, so why should any Gator/fan care to watch him? Maybe I just caught the times when he didn't like us much and he actually does.... I don't know, but his show was okay... but too often boring.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  18. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I will never forget the UF- FSU game in the rain in Tally a few years ago. Brando could hardly contain himself saying the rain could be the great equalizer. Tebow and Co. put an end to that idea in a hurry.

Good do a local news show Brando. That way I can probably never hear your dribble again.
  19. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    Nessler and Blackledge for me.....Palmer has been getting on my nerves.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    Yep... he needs to loosen-up... literaly. He wears tight-a$$ coats.
    • Winner Winner x 1