Copying files from CD

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Jan 10, 2014.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,720
    Can someone help me? I finally got a CD to work in my new Dell computer. The folder with files on the CD that I want to copy onto my computer are shown listed on the Windows 8 desktop or rather whatever the page is called that shows "Library," "Documents," "Music," etc. There is nothing that shows me how to copy the folder/files into the folder that I created in "Documents" where I want them saved.

There is no "save" in the File menu. There is no help under "Help" (which refers to some screen, with an arrow by Files and so forth, that I have never seen before nor know how to find, so it makes no sense at all. It must be for Windows 7 or something). There is no help in "Windows 8 for Dummies."

I have no idea how to copy these files. Can someone help me?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,720
    I experimented until I found that right-clicking on a listed file from the CD opens a box with "copy" in it. So I copied the file. Then I went to the folder where I wanted to save it, right-clicked on that folder, and clicked on "paste" from the box. That saved the file. I don't know if copying and pasting is the way you're supposed to save files, but it worked.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,836
    If you move something from a folder/CD/USB etc etc.. to another folder, it is basically saving it. You can use CTRL + Left Click to copy and Shift + Left click to Move a file (completely move from one folder to another).
  4. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,720
    I've finally got the hang of copying by (accidentally?) finding a toolbar or whatever that was hidden, with "move to," "copy to" etc. on it.

A new mystery has arisen as I try to learn about Windows 8. Today a website told me that to download something, if I was in Metro Windows 8 I would have to change to Classic Windows 8. Not knowing what I was in, I went ahead and downloaded successfully.

I went to the index of "Windows 8 for Dummies" to find out about Classic and Metro, and there's not a word in it about them.
  5. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +229
    I don’t recall ever hearing the term ‘Classic’ used in reference to Windows 8 but I am sure it means the old style Coke (or Windows) which is technically known now as Desktop. Metro was the original intended name of the style of victim interface for the new Windows family of products until Microsoft discovered that someone (in Germany, I believe) owned the trademark and was not about to let the fine folks in Microsoft use it.

So, the ‘Classic’ is the old view while the ‘Metro’ (now called the Start Screen) is the new cleaner looking version.