Consolidated Candidate Thread for OC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mikehev, Dec 1, 2013.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Can't afford a yard sale coach, no bargain pick ups please.
  2. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    “Coach Muschamp talked to me about the situation,” Goolsby said. “He just told me that he will be evaluating guys and that he would let me know but that he wanted to get the offense. He told me that he wants a fast pace offense kind of like a spread but pro-style too. He told me they want to do a lot with the tight ends and run a lot of 12 personnel.”

Ugh. So, of the OC’s that have been brought up, who runs the pro-style fast paced tempo offense? I’m guessing Helton and Applewhite at the moment. Anyone else wanna shed some light?
  3. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    The best thing I've heard all season as it relates to college football is that WMC is going to change the offense and go with an up-tempo, attacking approach. Not sure about everyone else, but I thought that was a big step in winning back the fan base after a terrible year. That said, here are my thoughts on the 3 front-runners as it relates my personal level of excitement.

1. Norvell: Home-run hire. Can't wait for next season. We will be back on top in no time!
    2. Anderson: Excited about the offense. Excited about the season. This is going to be a good year and we are on the right track again!
    3. Helton: This was the big offensive change-up? Not excited.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  4. dohcvtecpower

dohcvtecpower Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I would love Norvell, but usually when the fans like someone it doesn't work out. My prediction would be Applewhite or Helton. I think Anderson is the dark horse.
  5. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    G8torsrul: "Ugh. So, of the OC’s that have been brought up, who runs the pro-style fast paced tempo offense? I’m guessing Helton and Applewhite at the moment. Anyone else wanna shed some light?"

Anderson runs a fast paced tempo.. But, like everyone else these days he runs some spread, and some read option. One of the advantages of Anderson is that he has run this offense at three schools, and installed, or at least helped Fedora, install it at two. He has learned from Fedora, but was on his own after Fedora left MTSU. The downside is that he is young and is looking for HC opportunities. I really value continuity when you get the right pieces in place.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +155

I’m OK with 2 of the 3. I’m not sure about Helton. Does Norvell run a pro style fast paced offense or is it more spread?
  7. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +155

I’m fine with Christenson, Anderson, Norvell or Montgomery in that order. You could even flip Anderson/Norvell and it wouldn’t matter much to me. I hope it’s not Applewhite or Helton. I’m not sure I’d be excited about the hire of either, but I’d be willing to watch CWM sink or swim while supporting him……until.
  8. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +199
    5I like Norvell and have mentioned him as one of my favorites, but have concerns after watching his offense against Stanford. Now granted, Stanford has a great D, but Norvell will face that a lot in the SEC. My biggest angst came when ASU was still very much in the game and had a 3rd and goal and 4th and goal and ran the same "stack up the beef" play that all our recent OC's have loved. Put all the bodies in the middle of the field and try and run it up the gut. Stopped on both plays and that was ball game. This troubles me with Norvell. Lack of vision at a critical juncture in the game. So He is no longer at the very top of my list. I still think he is a very good OC and would not mind him at Florida, but they were pretty vanilla against Stanford. After watching games this weekend, my top 5 is:

1. Bill Legg
    2. Sterlin Gilbert
    3. Mike Norvell
    4. Kenny Edenfield
    5. Dave Schramm

I really liked what I saw with Eastern Ill. and Gilbert. Balanced, fast paced attack, don't blink or you will miss something offense. They run plays in 15 seconds....I love it...... 553 yds, ,313 rushing 6.8 and 240 passing 8.9. Granted it was an inferior opponent, lower level and small school, but I don't think it will matter with him. He shredded the #4 ranked defense in the country. He exploits weaknesses. Give him the horses and athletes and he will produce. I expect somebody will grab him soon at a higher level. This weeks game with Towson should be a better indicator.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +155

I saw one 4th down play up the middle and agree it was not a great call and reminded me also of what we’ve seen in the past. Bootleg or an option run at least. Something that says, I see all of you up the middle and we’re not going that way.
  10. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Brown just resigned at Tex. Please no Applewhite.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    fwiw per one site:

"The offensive coordinator job at Florida remains in flux. We’re told the leading three candidates are UNC’s Blake Anderson, Arizona State’s Mike Norvell and Nebraska’s Tim Beck.
    Sources indicate UCLA’s Noel Mazzone had an early interest, but decided to stay in Westwood".
  12. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 5
  13. sammyice

sammyice New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I don't think there is any reason to cross off Noel Mazzone yet that is a BS rumor . He is a a great coach and turns programs around. He also has a great negotiator in Jimmy Sexton. All these rumors are put out by other agents to help there own guys out!!!!
  14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778
    I was in a hotel in Westwood for about two weeks on business. I understand why he wants to stay.
  15. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    The replacement OC is a done deal. The strategic offensive transfers and new offers indicate to me that the new OC is dictating transfers and new offers.
  16. Saukuf

Saukuf New Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    KIFFEN - PETRINO?????

Are you freaking kidding me?
  17. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Applewhite or Helton will not make any effective change in the program.

Norvell or Anderson might be able to do that, maybe.

Unsure about Beck or Mazzone, although, from what I hear, Beck might be Muschamp's first choice due to his run orientation.
  18. gregthegator

gregthegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    so far....ain't nobody wants to be in a LAME duck position...nor do I blame them...
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    you know who has been offered?
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    While I enjoy doing some speculation with this thing I am skeptical anybody has a clue on who Muschamp is going to hire. One thing we have learned with Muschamp and Foley is they are pretty good at keeping new hires a secret.