Consolidated Candidate Thread for OC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mikehev, Dec 1, 2013.

1. pnpgator

pnpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    Agreed, unfortunately seems like Muschamp prefers guys he knows as part of his old boys club or at the very least guys he is very familiar with.
  2. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    Did Champ have connections to Weiss and Pease? Wondering aloud as I don't remember.
  3. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    Neither Pease nor Weiss were in Muschamp's imaginary "old boys club".
  4. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27

1. My basis is we are not jut talking about KB playing career, he has been a coach as well. For giggles let's use Malzhan, no playing career , a high school coach, got his shot. So Demosthenes wasn't Malzhan even more of a risk than KB would be. I mean I'm sure whatever line of work you are in and looking at potential candidates, you look at a body of work over time?? It's football...you are just mesmerized by who you think is smart. Your perception is too grandiose assuming smarts lays a role. It matters just like thousands of live snaps at a high level at QB. Football not curing cancer, a football mind is needed. I out KB in the convo if a d2 wide receiver that has coached for 8 years is his competition.

2 never said a good coach can't come from smaller school, they can, but it's a crap shoot. As risky as KB

3 from my perspective I'm glad YOU are not making decisions because I'm not sure your ability to think outside the box or see what is in from of your face.

4. It's football
  5. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    It sounds to me like Muschamp is after Norvell or Helton, not necessarily in that order. While it may be beyond Muschamp's control, the fact that he is waiting until after bowl season to announce his hire can't help recruiting.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,616
    Norvell appears to have more experience implementing and running this system. I think he would be a far superior choice based on that experience.

This would be Helton's first go round installing a new system if I read his resume correctly. He has done well calling plays and coaching in systems that were already installed.

If we can't get Norvell, I'd think another guy who has successfully installed a spread offense somewhere, and done it quickly is what we need.
  7. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +199
    I really don't care if it is a proven guy or young gun, my final list has both. I would like to see an OC that can produce, be innovative, adjust on the fly, dare to be different and have results to prove it. I started looking at prospects after the LSU game knowing what was coming.
    My "Hit List" includes young, old, experienced, green. But I have looked long and hard at 34 different guys(yes KB, Helton and Mularkey were on the list, but got cut, only Kerwin made the Sweet sixteen) then pared that down to the "Sweet Sixteen". While many are grateful that I don't have the decision to hire, My "Elite Eight" would be (in no particular order):
    Young Guns:
    Mike Norvell
    - This would be top choice at this point. Many have said that he is close with Graham and understandable, but I would hope that if they are so close, that Graham would not begrudge this young man an opportunity to advance.
    Kenny Edenfield - may well be my 2nd choice. Top 17 in the country 2 of his 3 season with Troy. Also like that he dropped 721 on Tennessee, the most ever given up.
    Mike Yurcich - Another so called reach, but he can move the football and score points. My only knock on him is he is more pass oriented and not so balanced.
    Sterlin Gilbert - Eastern Illinois, Why is this guy at the top of my list, I don't know why. I have a huge gut instinct and have tried to talk myself out of it. Took EIU from 2-9 to 7-5 and now 11-1 this year with only loss against Northern Illinois by 4. I liked what I saw against Northern Illinois. I will know more when I watch his team play at 2pm tomorrow in the FCS playoffs on ESPN 3.

Experienced Guys
    Dave Schramm
    - has coached every offensive position, which I think helps an OC understanding all aspects. He has been recruiting coordinator for 15 years. Can't argue with his success. Probably will not be seeking a HC job.
    Dave Taaffe - a wealth of experience and took UCF from 119th offense to where they are today. The job he did with Maryland was fantastic. Runs a balanced attack.
    Tony Franklin - Sonny Dykes loves this guy and the numbers tell why. As OC of Kentucky he took them to the 2nd rated passing offense in the country and 1th in total offense...that's right Kentucky. He has got Cal at the # 33 spot, I would take that.
    Bill Legg - his record speaks for itself. In 2012, he led Marshall to sixth in total offense and Numero Uno in pass offense in the nation, but more importantly 2nd in the nation in 3rd down efficiency....in 2013 44.6 PPG (6th), 513 YPG (9th), Red Zone 91 % (9th), 3rd Down (5th) avg. 293 Yds. Passing and 219 Rushing Balance....Balance....Balance...
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    Agreed.
  9. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Nice work. You sound like me. I spent last night watching you tube videos of Arizona state like I was making the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,616
    Good stuff, rogo.

You've clearly put a ton more thought and research into this than me and probably most anyone else not named Muschamp. I like you're call on Legg. Successful guy and I noticed his RZ stats are very strong. With our defense, if we play strong RZ offense, that alone will win us a lot of games. Not that I don't also want to see us move the ball, but we've got to get it in the end zone when we have the opportunity.

Did you consider the Colorado Mining School guy referenced in another thread? Britt I think.
  11. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
  12. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +199
    No did not look at Stitt. Looked at FBS and FCS only. But an intriguing candidate..
  13. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Do we not have rep now?

Like the way you are thinking Rogo and I have to say, I would be happy if you DID have a part in making the decision. Well thought out and researched post. I would ban you for that. You are supposed to be a fanatic! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,616
    To do "rep", there is a set of "rep" icons you can use; they appear if you mouse over near the reply link at the bottom of the post. You can Like, Agree, Disagree and several others. I hit you with a Like on yours as an example.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27

Nice info! Innovation, and ability to adjust on the fly is probably most critical point you made. Problem is there is zero margin for error ! All of these guys bring a lot to the table and potentially could work out. But I don't think any of them would allow will to totally let the guy do his thing. IMO we should go with a cam Cameron type hire. So mularkey is tops for me.

Pease seemed like such a great hire and we loved it at the time. Sure he was a sac lamb, but it didn't work. I've had the experience of getting a year to turn a sales territory around after years of success. It was a nightmare, I failed miserably. Micromanaged everything and managed nothing. At the end of the day I feel you have to keep it simple and stay the course. When a coaching staff is looking over there shoulder and down to the equipment guys people fear being fired, it makes for a crappy work environment. No mater what you are doing.

So my point is that hiring a tried and true, experienced OC , that you trust to hand the keys to should be the pick. All of the names make sense in most scenarios. But when you add the pressure that next year anything less than 9-3 might put you out, you go with steady and sensible. It's also why I favor gator or muschamp ties. IMO it does make a difference. Not huge make or break, but a nice addition to a resume.

And for that other than mularkey I like Brian white as well! He'll Galen hall lives in gainesville now so maybe add him to the list, kidding of course.
  16. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +534
    @Frank_Frangie: On UF OC search: UNC OC Blake Anderson now has been contacted. To gauge interest. Will listen, but will want to bring OL C Chris Kapilovic.
  17. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
  18. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I don't think Blake Anderson is a bad choice
  19. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Any chance Norvell goes to Boise as HC if they don't nab Harsin or perhaps Wilcox?
  20. gilchristgator

gilchristgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    What about Auburns Rhett Lashlee? He's been with Malhzan since high school and has to know his offensive philosophy inside out. I know Auburns offense is the flavor of the moment and many will say Malhzan is the real oc, but Lashlee may be a bargain pickup.