Congratulations to the 2014 SEC Champs: FLORIDA GATORS!

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by WESGATORS, May 15, 2014.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    At the college level, Augie Garrido won a national title at Texas with a team like UF's: good coaching controlling the momentum of the game, good pitching, small ball combined with timely hitting, and good defense. It's a recipe that can produce the biggest results.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    I haven't been able to watch many games since I moved to Europe a couple years back (+7 from ET) but I seem to recollect pitch clocks and pitchers that never worked the count. This often resulted in quick games. I will admit there were a lot of "matchups" late in the games which I felt he overanalyzed/overmanaged and they really extended the later innings. When you have a Paco or something similar, you go with your guy rather than utilizing him for a total of 1-2 hitters.
  3. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    I don't recall any Augie team at Texas that was an offense juggernaut. The two years I spent in Austin and two years I was in Houston, UT had very mediocre offenses to say the least. He did have Jungmann, Stafford and some other fantastic arms during that time. Augie has utilized that methodology for decades as far as I know. Maineri at LSU seems to be more offensively oriented. Same with Mike Martin at the SWAC.

Jim Morris hasn't had a great team in quite a few years (this year is probably the exception) but I seem to recall some pretty good Miami offenses over the years. They had some guys that could mash.
  4. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Let's not forget last year. UCLA didn't have a guy that could break a bottle with a baseball bat and won it all. With the current bats and balls, this kind of team really has a chance.
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +660
    You guys got me curious about the game times. I just took a small sample from a few years (home SEC games: 2008, 2009, 2014):

2008, average game time 2:39 (this excludes a 4-hour extra inning game in the last SEC game of the season, with it the number is 2:45), 2 games over 3:00
    2009, average game time 2:52, 6 games over 3:00
    2014, average game time 2:48, 5 games over 3:00

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    2:39 is a pretty quick game. 2:48 isn't bad either. 2:52 is probably normal. Getting over 3:10 would be on the bad side. 2:39 is more in line with my memory as I seem to recall a few games where I was thinking, "Now what" given it was over pretty quick. It usually involved more tailgating, post game discussions at Dockside, or hitting one of our favorite Gainesville dinner joints.
  7. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,928
    Yeah buddy!
  8. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +513
    Congrats Gators! Team, support, staff, coaches. Excellent turnaround from a rough start. Very impressive.
  9. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Do we dog pile again if

Not to beat a dead horse but just to show how misleading samples/averages can be, our last five games have been:

4:02
    3:17
    4:03
    2:58
    3:19
  10. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    Per WES' stats, 5 games over 3:00 and yet 4 of the last 5 have been over 3:00? The odds of that are VERY slim. something seems amiss here in these stats.
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +660
    I just used the 15 home SEC games; he's referring to the last 5 games home/away conference play or not. One of those games, though was an 11-inning game; another was the Vandy blowout game.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  12. IowaGator

IowaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Sorry I do not want to see any dogpiles until June 24 af the earliest!! Way too much chance of injury!!!