Confessions of an SEC bag man

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Apr 10, 2014.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. swampsitter

swampsitter Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Unbelievable
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,898
  4. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Very errr, aaaah....creative.
  5. wulimaster

wulimaster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I've sort of felt for some time that the probability of this having been true all along is high and that there's probably nothing SO special about my alma mater's athletic program that it would somehow achieve success doing it some other, different way than all the others. This, together with how easily a game is decided by referees (the Swindle, et al), takes some of the magic out of it for me. Still, it's my alma mater, and if every other school is going to do it then mine should do it very, very well. Perverse maybe but if this is how the system operates then participating in it is fair. That said, I'd love to come a day when most of us are THIS passionate about our alma mater's academic victories. All this scheming and cloak-and-dagger for football wins... there are higher stakes to play for out there.

So anyway, we'll be at the O & B game, like we are every year hoping to see evidence that all this is paying off lol
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    blech. No sources, no names, no cred. It gets hits and gets read and that is what he is looking for. I seriously doubt a "bag man" would talk to some reporter, just like that. Ask a 5 time convicted felon in jail about the frequency of other people breaking the law and there is about a 99% chance he will say "I did not do it, but everyone else does". Color me skeptical.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    If this was Bleacher Report I would agree. But SB Nation does a good job holding their staff to integrity. Every major recruit's commitment is bought and paid for. Even the ones who sign with UF.
  8. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    I would go on the assumption that this is true, because it fits with the known realities.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    Right, it is an NCAA wide conspiracy and not one single credible source has been willing to step forth and talk about it. It is happening at every institution, with every recuit and there is nothing that can be done because not one single person will step forward. The larger the implied conspiracy, the less likely it is to be true. How many thousands of people across the country would need to be involved in this and not a single one of them decided to use this for their own personal gain? I just am not buying that everyone is crooked. Sorry.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Trent asked us for a Mustang per his FCA driver/coach. Bama gave him a used Navigator his Fr. Year. Upgraded to new black tricked-out Yukon the next year.
    FACT
  11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    There's definitely a significant amount of cash in college football players' hands that can't be accounted for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,513
    Someone is paying for all the tattoos these players are covered in.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362

why would this be any different from PEDs in competetive sports? with so much at stake there will always be cheating. In order to beat a doped up field you have to dope yourself. I think its comical that so many marginalize lance armstrong's achievements but let miguel indurain or even greg lemond's legacy go relatively untarnished. Half of the field was disqualified just a few years after lemond's hey day. there is no way a clean cyclist can compete day after day with guys who are using EPO in order to recover. Track and field, baseball and now crossfit games are all full of PEDs. I equate paying for players in college to gaining that edge

think about the money and egos involved in college football. the whales that fund this sort of thing get what they want. take the average fanatic on this board. think about how angry, happy, sick, proud etc etc they get by watching the gators. now give them an endless supply of money and the ego and power to do intimitaley involve themselves and genuinely affect the performance of their team. i just dont see how anyone thinks college athletics isn't rampant with this.

if you kill one cockroach there are several others hiding.
    how many shop lifters get caught?
    political scandal is the same.

the parallels are endless and they support the articles claim.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,446
    Very difficult to tell how widespread it is or what quantity of cash we're talking about unless you're right in it.

But you know this is going on to some extent in most universities and to a very large extent in some. Hopefully we're pretty clean these days, but I'd be surprised if there isn't some pay for play going on, even at a school like ours that really emphasizes "doing it the right way".
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I don't know about now, but I heard from a couple of players in the early 90's that this went on at UF. One said they would have money waiting on their bed when they got back from games, another said even after probation they could get what they needed if they asked the right people.
    I also know of a current NFL guy and former FSU player that had a car given to him when he was in school.

I would lean towards this happening most places.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    Well this explains everything ! There's was no way all those #1 positional players ( nkemdiche, tunsil, treadwell, etc) liked ole miss just cause. :D

Looking at the last 10+ years it would seem they had been saving their 'bag Man" money for that year:)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Evey major program is cheating in some way it just matters to what extent
    They had really good connections to two of them but everybody in the SEC is cheating. It is not like they ran out money after last year.
  18. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    Oh I know that, I was just being funny since olé miss hasn't been very great the last 7-10 years and haven't really pulled that type of top talent in a single class in sometime. Even last year's class pales in comparison to 2013 class IMO. But they should be much improved this year.

What I truly wonder AZ was which school this anonymous " bag man" was working for. It's sad but as I kept reading the article I just kept thinking It was us. I guess I have a 1 in 14 chance of being correct. :)
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think the author talked to multiple people.

I know you were joking. They just had a perfect storm of connections that year besides Tunsil. But this is why I always laugh when people get excited about a Mississippi kid visiting or naming UF a favorite. We all know how this story ends the kid will end up at Ole Miss or Miss State. I remember last year FSU fans getting pumped about Pack's commitment. It will be interesting to see if Bama can pull the top LB from Mississippi this year
  20. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    I remember you telling that nole poster that fsu was going to lose a WR the next week pack was gone and shortly after that so was sousa. Lol. I remember that conversation.

His name escapes me at this moment but there was that DE named us one of his leaders but ultimately signed with miss st. Wasn't a surprise really, since most figured he wouldn't leave the area.