Conditioning for a very specific event

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by StrangeGator, Jan 5, 2012.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    A week from Tuesday will be my 54th birthday. Per tradition at my dojo, Sensei will throw me 54 times at the end of class. I've done this for seven years, but he throws harder and expects more each year. I was in crappy shape and not progressing much the first four. The fifth year, I had progressed a lot on the mat, but I was in terrible shape. I was so gassed that I lost count. Don't think I went past 45 throws. I had just started to work out two years ago, and barely made it to 52. Last year I did very well and made to sixty throws. He always adds more if he thinks you can take it. I've cut back on my Tabata work recently to focus on strength and I recently noticed some decline in my cardio capacity. Now I have less than two weeks to get ready for this ordeal. What kind of HIIT routine should I do to prepared for this? My thinking is to take a break from heavy weights and do nothing but interval work. I could go three days a week and get five workouts in before my birthday. Can I increase my capacity in that amount of time?

FWIW, this past Tuesday night, we observed another dojo ritual, "the 108 throws." Each of us picks a technique and you take turns throwing and being thrown by one partner for 12 turns, then you change partners. You do this until everyone has done nine cycles. We do this class silently, which is very cool. I was doing great through the first seven partners. Then I ended up with Sensei. I can't quite explain what Shomen Uchi Irimi Nage is, but I can assure you that most people would be gassed after four of them. I could barely get off the mat by the eighth one. Don't now how I got through 12. Fortunately, my final partner was a 5'6" 110 woman. (Sensei is about 5'10" 220)

We take an entire one hour class to do 108 throws. The "birthday throws" are done with just a few seconds between each one. Sometimes he combines a throw with a joint lock, then forces you up with your wrist still immobilized, then throws you again.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Happy impending birthday. And here's the good news: you can't do a whole hell of a lot in two weeks. So don't worry about it! :wink:

But seriously, if you want to 'harden' yourself mentally by doing some crazy intense cardio, you're not going to lose any appreciable strength by laying off the weights in the interim. Just make sure you go into your ordeal rested.

My two cents.
  3. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    Id think burpees, deck squats, things like that might be good for conditioning & being able to get your body up and down quickly and in a more or less ergonomic fashion. Just be careful of your shoulders if you do a high volume of burpees.
  4. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Did a lot of burpees in my Tabata routine on Wednesday. Also did a Tabata circuit going back and forth between dips and pull ups. that was a bitch. Was going to do a similar routine tomorrow, but with more emphasis on core, glutes and quads. Will also do some sprints on the eliptical.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Fortunately, I started this on Sunday, so I'm already two workouts into it, plus the class this past Tuesday night, which was a lot like a long Tabata workout. If nothing else, I'll probably lose some weight. Losing the 35 pounds two years ago made a big difference for me in the dojo. I was bouncing up after every throw.

One thing I can do before class that day is get thoroughly oxygenated. The martial artists I see doing the most dynamic non-stop mat work are the same people who do Za-Zen almost every day. Their lung capacity is incredible. Wish I had time for that. I guess I would if I wasn't working out so much.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Comfort yourself in this: 55 throws is abnormally rigorous. It may 'kill' you. On the other hand, absent the training you've undertaken - and all that weight you've lost - well, there's a difference between dead and ugly-dead.
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +780
    I've upped the ante a bit. We're starting a new beginning session later that week, so I'm inviting a few friends and acquaintances to come to the dojo and watch that night. Not only do I have to get through it. I have to look good. Otherwise, I'll scare them off.

My falls have been exceptional lately. I've found a way to get a nice little stretch out of my back falls. My hard break falls are very sound. I always land completely flat and get a very good slap in there. I execute my forward rolls perfectly, usually coming all the way up to my feet. Truthfully, executing these falls with efficiency and finesse is more important than being in shape. Few of the senior students are in half the shape I'm in, but they know the techniques so well, it takes them half the effort. Plus they're much more adept at their breathing. Some Aikidoka and Judoka claim to have significantly greater lung mass because of all the breathing exercises they've done over the years. My Sensei has been training in Judo since he was eight and Aikido since he was 15. He's 63 now. I've never seen him out of breath.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Sounds good. I doubt that any amount of conditioning would compensate for bad falling technique. When it comes to a competitive endeavor, the best are generally those who've learned how to manage fatigue (and punishment), not induce it.