Comparing QBs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Sep 8, 2013.

1. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    I would love a polished QB who can read the defense and make plays with his arm. That is what the offense needs. Grier fits that bill. Driskel is a spread QB. It was thought that he could be taught the pocket skills so he was listed as pro-style qb who can play well in the pocket, but I'm doubtful on that one.
  2. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Because we unfortunately we struck out on QBs the last 2 classes and had to settle for backup 3 star QBs. Then Brissett transferred...and Meyer left Muschamp with no QB options except for tight end Reed, can't throw Burton, and career backup Murphy.
  3. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Pease isn't that good of a recruiter, and we haven't proven anything on the field yet. I give him a lot of credit for getting Grier, but we should have gotten a better player last year.
  4. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Gee. I guess Driskel is chopped liver all right. Through two games he is completing 71% of his passes, with 2 ints. Yesterday he was just shy of 300 yds. He has thrown some beautiful deep balls the past two games.

I suggest that he has yet to play behind a healthy, competent Oline at Florida. (We entered the game yesterday without 2 preseason starters, and reports are that at least 2, maybe 3, others missed time in the second half.) If he is a little nervous in the pocket he has a right to be. He takes a hell of a lot of hits.

I believe that JD has one glaring fault; and it is on the coaches tot fix it somehow. He has got to recognize when a play isn't there and get rid of the ball. That's it.

I don't want to fault the HC or the OC for things that are beyond my expertise, but I do wonder if they are a little reluctant to play youngsters on offense unless they are "complete". I tend to think that we have enough evidence that the best ball carriers and playmakers need to participate; even if, when they are on the field, there has to be simplified assignments that give them a chance to use their athleticism. We seem to need play makers. I often felt that way about Debose last year. Just let him go and beat someone deep. That may well be a foolish, and simplistic view.

I note that there is no such reluctance to get kiddies on the field on defense.

WRT to the post above; I think Pease had a late start on recruiting last year and the Gators had Brissett and Driskel, with the possibility that one or the other would redshirt.
  5. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    ^Agreed. It's unfortunate that people (UF “fans") are so busy shredding our QB to bits that they don't see the bigger picture. He's not Danny or Rex, he can't do what they did, and they can't do what he can, but we can win with this team.
  6. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    How much of it is talent? How much is qb development? How much is offense philosophy? Play calling?
    How much is coaches vs player?
  7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    He did better against us than any Gator QB since Tebow did in any game. He completed 23 of 30 passes with no TDs or INTs. The only reason A&M lost the game was they stopped using Manziel in the 2nd half. He threw only 10 passes in the 2nd half (completed 70% of them). They went away from what he did in the 1st half and it was our game that made Texas A&M use him more for the remainder of the season. We are the reason he won the Heisman. Many A&M fans called in after the game and questioned Sumlin why they put the brakes on Manziel.
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    True. What was really bizarre is he threw awesome passes with the defender either all over him or about to crush him. Yet, under no pressure he would over throw easy passes or throw ugly INTs. There was an easy TD pass he missed on too.
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    There are tons and tons of 3 star QBs better than Jeff. Jeff is one of the worst QBs in the SEC and he was pretty much the highest rated one out of HS.
  10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I was piling on Jeff yesterday but I have to disagree that he is timid. Some if his best throws yesterday came just as he was being crushed. But ALL of those throws were when the pressure was up the middle in his face. He has zero awareness in the pocket when the pressure comes from outside.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  11. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    How JBIV was ahead of Cam in 2007 is beyond me....
  12. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    This is a ridiculous quote, or you really don't watch college football...driskell didn't play well it happens...now I would agree that this was his gimmy shitty game....probably short leash now but I wouldn't trade JD , for Murray, Manziel, any of those guys...he needs to develop and still plenty of time left this year. Running 2 types of offenses isn't easy....one being a throwing or running pistol model, and somewhat of a pro style...it's tough...he just didn't close...not everyone does every game....but he's definitely on the clock now...
  13. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    Name some, please. Let me get a pillow first. Might be a while...

I agree our offense can be pretty painful at times, but it's not all on Driskel.