Comparing QBs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +914
    I must admit, I'm envious of other teams when I see an Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw, or Manziel on the other sideline. How have we shot so many blanks in recent years with QB recruiting?
    Does anyone know the pedigree of those players I mentioned above? I'm wondering if we're picking raw talent over bonafide top level high school experience and leadership. I know Tebow played in the Florida High School Championships for Nease, did Driskel ever play for anything on the line in high school? My sense was he was a talented thrower on a crappy team. I know Murray was playing for Tampa, did he ever win anything at the high school level or at least make the playoffs? Did Shaw? Did Johnny Football?
    My point is: there are times, especially in important games, where Driskel acts like he just picked up the football for the first time. He has no awareness, no football sense, and you can see the pressure causes bad decisions and overthrows to open receivers. We really saw that in his very first game (was it Bama?) when he was overthrowing receivers by ten yards.
    Is it possible that we are picking kids with awesome game film but no real football savvy, and shouldn't we be limiting ourselves to talented QBs from powerhouse HS programs?
    FWIW, Purifoy played QB in Pensacola and played against some real humdingers in terms of powerhouse programs. He probably as more big game experience than Jeff. Another example would be JB IV, who apparently was awesome in high school....playing for a Catholic school against less than 5A powerhouses. Maybe we should be looking for talented kids who have already been battle tested at some of the upper levels of high school programs.
  2. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    I think we're all waiting for the next Tebow...but there won't be one...Timmy was a once in a generation player.
  3. flwgator2

flwgator2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Driskel beat Brissett, who also played at a powerhouse high school team with Dwyer High School with Elam, O'leary, Christian, and Clark. Grier may be great, maybe not he played with small high schools in North Carolina. We were saying the same thing with Driskel three years ago.
  4. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +914
    At this point, I'd be happy with the next Jevan Snead.
  5. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I just hope Grier has it all up there (his head) that is the most important evaluation part of a player can be.

He has the skill set, and IMO he has far out shown Driskel with his skills. He is more accurate, has just as good of an arm, and knows how to get rid of the ball.

I honestly think Driskel has the ability next year to not be great, but really really good, but the coaching staff has to adjust for him.

That deep ball thrown to Solomon Patton yesterday to me was beautiful, about as good as it could be. I would also like to see a 2 minute offense installed with this team. It would be nice to know this team can score at will.
  6. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +914
    Here's Murray's pedigree.
    Note all the accomplishments at the 4A level in Florida,

In 2008, under the combined leadership of Murray and Phillip Ely (a sophomore who came in for a stretch of seven games when Murray was injured), The Plant High Panthers won 14 games in a row after a close opening day loss. The Panthers continued to the state championship finally defeating Tallahassee Lincoln 34-14 in route to their 2nd title in three years.

As a junior, Murray completed 201-of-329 passing attempts for 4,012 yards and 51 touchdowns with seven interceptions.[3] He had a longest pass play of 78 yards that season.[3]

Murray received 53 scholarship offers,[4] and during his senior season he completed 118-of-195 passes for 2,285 yards and 33 touchdowns with five interceptions. The senior rushed for 257 yards on 26 carries with two touchdowns. He participated in the 2009 U.S. Army All-American Bowl on the same East team with Clemson Tigers quarterback Tajh Boyd.

Murray was named Hillsborough co-offensive player of the year along with teammate and favorite target, wide receiver Orson Charles. Voted All-Suncoast First Team. He was also voted the 4A Player of the Year therefore making him a finalist and leading contender for Florida's Mr. Football of 2008. Murray was named Parade All-American, Orlando Sentinel's All-Southern Top 12 Players SE, Press-Register's Super Southeast 120 (#10), and FSWA All-State first team quarterback.
  7. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +914
    By comparison, here are Driskel's high school awards:
    Driskel attended Paul J. Hagerty High School in Oviedo, Florida. During his career he threw for 4,844 yards and 36 touchdowns. As a senior in 2010 he was the Maxwell Football Club National High School Player of the Year and the Gatorade Florida Player of the Year.[1][2] He was ranked as the best pro-style quarterback recruit in his class by Rivals.com and Scout.com.[3][4]

Sounds like we got the numbers guy and Georgia got the Championships guy.
  8. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    did we recruit him?
  9. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    so much for Rivals and Scout...pro-style?? really??
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    Last year LSU, USC, and UT probably wished they had Driskel. And how did Manziel do against the Gators? I understand that there are concerns with JD, but he's our guy right now and the Murrays/Manziels of the world don't factor for our offense. Let's hope Jeff improves and makes some teams envious this year.
  11. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I think you mean those teams wish they had our defense.
  12. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    Re Murray - I'm not sure we've gotten a 4-5 star recruit from Plant HS (my alma mater, yay) in quite a while. There is or was a theory that for some reason the Plant coach doesn't or didn't like UF and steers players away from us.

Re Manziel - he was called "Johnny Football" in HS. So I assume he was great then too.

Brantley and Driskel were considered major recruiting coups at the time. We weren't the only schools that recruited them, especially Brantley who IIRC was originally going to Texas.
  13. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Driskel was recruited to be the next Tim Tebow when he should have been recruited to be the first Jeff Driskel.
  14. flowermoundgator

flowermoundgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Well GA, FINALLY won a game with out int... Remember last week, Alabama game, Florida Gams USC game, last year . So I am not sure Ga has anything great, but a stars guy as well
  15. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Raw talent and QB skills can only take you so far...

We need QBs with something between their ears...yes, each year there are only a handful of them...but we should be able to get ours in the end..
  16. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I don't know if Tebow is a once-in-a-generation player...Cam Newton came a year after him and was pretty damn amazing himself despite what some on here seem to think. What Tebow and Newton and guys like that have is not only superior athletic/physical gifts, but an understanding of the game and keeping their composure. Our last qb did not have any composure whatsoever, and our current QB is exhibiting similar traits.
  17. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    I'm going to do the unthinkable and give some props to Charlie Weis. I believe he saw what Driskel was capable of and what his limitations were and knew that he was not the answer for what Muschamp wanted in a QB. And so he went out and recruited someone who he thought would be better for the job. Frankly, if Weis had stayed, I believe the offense would be better than it is now. And I believe our starting QB would be Jacoby Brissett and we would be sitting at 2-0 right now.

Yes, I know Weis has sucked at Kansas. But it is Kansas. And it was his first year. And he is not head coach material. But I think he is a decent OC.
  18. gator2641

gator2641 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    I agree with this post. I watched a lot of other QBs yesterday and last week and then watched JD. No comparison. JD looks totally lost and timid. I have very little trust in him. And before you blast me....all gators fans at church this morning all agree JD is just bad.
    My son is LSU fan and pulls for gators for me. He texted me after the game and said we do not have a QB, but a great D.
  19. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Weis gets a lot of crap from Gator fans, and I don't think all of it is deserved, but he knows what a good pocket passing QB is. I don't think he would have been anymore successful here because he is just a crap college OC. Good play caller, awful at developing talent, which is huge. Although, I'm not completely sold on Pease as a developer of talent either.
  20. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    Why don't we have more QBs? And why is our hope all tied up in one player in 2015. We are recruiting too many DBs and not enough QBs. Come on Muschamp ----- stop thinking of only defense.......you're the Head ball coach now.