Common core assignment asks kids to choose 2 amendments from the Bill of Rights to remove

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Mar 31, 2014.

1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,536
    I have no problem with critical thinking exercises; however, if they don't have the proper background in class to know why the Constitution is the way it is, then it's just a meaningless exercise. The idea of school used to be to teach people to think and give them the tools to make educated decisions, be successful, etc. Lately the point of school is more to figure out how many tests the kids can take to make the system look good.
  2. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    I'm presuming you are referring to the Common Core Curriculum. I'm no fan of it either but confess to not knowing much about how it came to be and just who is responsible for it. So, I looked to see if I could find who is behind this monster. Guess what?

Diane Ravitch, the education historian who has become the leader of the movement against corporate-influenced school reform, gave this speech to the Modern Language Association on Jan. 11 about the past, present and future of the Common Core State Standards.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...g-you-need-to-know-about-common-core-ravitch/

Still curious but short of time, I decided to limit my research to see what I could discover about the organization Achieve, and its members, mentioned above.

Here's a list of Achieve's Board of Directors with my own notation of their political affiliation. The organization does not reveal that information. I looked it up as it is all a matter of public record.

Our Board of Directors

At the 1996 National Education Summit a bipartisan group of governors and corporate leaders decided to create and lead an organization dedicated to supporting standards-based education reform efforts across the states. To do so, they formed Achieve as an independent, bi-partisan, non-profit education reform organization.

To this day, Achieve remains the only education reform organization led by a Board of Directors of governors and business leaders. This unique perspective has enabled Achieve to set a bold and visionary agenda over the past 15 years, leading Education Week in 2006 to rank Achieve as one of the most influential education policy organizations in the nation.

Chair
    Craig R. Barrett ... Republican
    Former CEO/Chairman of the Board
    Intel Corporation
    Watch Craig R. Barrett's Views on American Education and Achieve

Board Members
    Mark B. Grier ... Republican
    Vice Chairman
    Prudential Financial, Inc.
    Watch Mark B. Grier's Views on American Education and Achieve

Governor Bill Haslam ... Republican
    State of Tennessee
    Watch Governor Haslam's Views on American Education and Achieve

Governor Dave Heineman ... Republican
    State of Nebraska
    Watch Governor Heineman's Views on American Education and Achieve

Governor Jay Nixon ... Democrat
    State of Missouri

Governor Deval Patrick ... Democrat
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Watch Governor Patrick's Views on American Education and Achieve

Chairman Emeritus ... Republican
    Louis V. Gerstner, Jr.
    Former Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
    IBM Corporation

President ... Unknown, but I would WAG Democrat
    Michael Cohen
    President
    Achieve
    Treasurer ... Unknown, but I would WAG Republican
    Peter Sayre
    Controller
    Prudential Financial, Inc.

Even more curious now, but still short of time, I checked the Staff page to see what it might reveal. Nothing. so I randomly picked one individual to see what I might find, if anything on him. I selected Stephen L. Pruitt, Ph. D.
    Senior Vice President, Content, Research & Development.

As I expected, I found nothing definitive as to his political association. BUT, I did discover he was hired in 2009 as Chief of Staff for Kathy Cox, the Georgia State Superintendent of Schools. Ms Cox is a Republican, leading me to make the WAG that Pruitt, too, is probably a Republican.

Point to all this, unless we know absolutely for sure that one political party or another is responsible for a policy we don't like, we should not irresponsibly assume or make charges that are not true.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,536
    Thanks for looking that up for us. I can tell you when people up here started complaining about common core, Bush was still in office - they called it the "Chicago Model" (no idea if that's accurate or not) before calling it Common Core. Plenty of parents showed up to complain about the books and what was covered, and from all walks of life. I think most look at this from either party and see it's simply a bad idea.
  4. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    I agree. It's why my older son and wife are homeschooling their 3. Younger son and wife have their 2 in a private school. Daughter and S-i-L's 3 year old is still in nursery school but will probably go private when the time comes.
  5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Liberals do indoctrinate children in school. Does "obama" sing song ring a bell? Or how about the entire anti NRA stand by schools? Dress like a Muslim day? Condom education vs abstinence education. Cultural inclusion vs America. Flying Mexican flag at Calif school.

My favorite was 9/11 was caused by "International Terrorists". Not one mention of Islam or Osama bL terrorists. Now in school books across USA!
  6. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    Schools indoctrinate. It's what they do. When you select an institution of learning for your child you are selecting the type of indoctrination you wish your child to have. If you home school, you have more control over what your child learns.

7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,332
    Should "selecting" government education come with such an obvious ideologic bent, though? I mean, on one cynical hand, sure, the government school would sell love of government, the expansion and centrality and primacy of the state. On a naively idealistic hand, though, shouldn't the government schools of a supposedly pluralist federal republic with no state religion be pretty ambivalent on indoctrination?

"Selected" of course, because nobody chooses government school, it chooses you. You can cooperate, or you can double dip from your time and treasure to educate you children apart from it.
  8. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,774
    one of the reasons Jeb won't get my vote
  10. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,536
    Our state "Common Core" tests begin tomorrow. They split them up into before and just after Spring Break so parents couldn't just leave the kids at home. A lot of parents are telling their kids to either fail the test on purpose or just turn the book over and "stare off". They're not allowed to bring books to read anymore to discourage kids from not taking the tests. Teachers have been told to tell the kids that they will be held back a year if they don't take it (not true) to get them to take it. My kid's taking it simply because she wants to and feels ready; however, many families are opting out.

Common Core is almost as contentious up here as Obamacare.
  11. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,940
    I can't believe this. Although I guess I should. This is not the public school system and teachers I sure was blessed to have. They were great.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    I'm just surprised this....... teacher didn't make them stomp on the Constitution.
  13. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    You are of course correct, the vast majority of children attending government schools are raised in homes by parents who are not in a position to proactively "select" a school for their children. By default these children are forced to attend schools in their respective zones of residence and subjected to a one-size-fits-all curriculum selected by committee.

Parents wanting to retain control over what their children are taught - and learn - will pay dearly for that right as private education is not cheap. Nor does the investment of time necessary to home school come cheaply. Clearly, it is a matter of parental priorities.
  14. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,536
    As far as the Common Core, all schools up here are involved-not just public :mad: the only advantage is the added religious ed for whatever religion-based school you pick.
  15. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    This surprised me, although I suppose it should not. Also made me curious to check the website of Gainesville's private Oak Hall School here in Gainesville. I know it only by reputation - which is good. My own children attended private schools in Atlanta, Georgia in the 80's and 90's. Core Curriculum was not an issue.

Oak Hall has incorporated core curriculum into their academic program.

http://www.oakhall.org/RelId/33637/ISvars/default/Home.htm

Lower School
    [​IMG] Where young lives get off to a great start!
    [​IMG]

The Lower School offers a warm, family-like atmosphere dedicated to meeting the social and emotional needs of each child.

The school promotes the development of the child, academically, through a balanced core curriculum, socially, through leadership opportunities, aesthetically, through programs in art and music, and physically, through a comprehensive physical education program.

The school is a co-educational day school for children in preschool through Grade 5.

Upper School
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oak Hall's Upper School curriculum is a challenging, college preparatory program consisting of a core curriculum and a wide range of electives. Building on the strong foundation established in the Middle School, this program prepares students for acceptance and success in competitive colleges and for success in life beyond college. Honors and Advanced Placement courses are offered in every academic department. Many semester- and year-long electives are also offered.

Oak Hall has high expectations for all students. Upper School classes emphasize both mastery of specific content and the skills necessary for success in college and in the years after college. These skills include self-reliance, critical reading and thinking, effective oral and written communications, problem solving, research techniques, and the use of technology as a tool in the acquisition of knowledge.

Beyond the core courses of English, history, math, science, and foreign language, students are encouraged to develop their aesthetic dimension through participation in a variety of art, music, and drama classes. They are also encouraged to participate in the school's athletic and outdoors programs in order to acquire an appreciation for physical fitness, cooperation, and the natural environment.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373

This is one of those instances where the bad guys from both sides agree. That alone should make you opposed to CC. A marriage of the Clintons/Bushs'/Exxon/Dow. Yikes!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,536
    See, I like how well rounded that is. And don't get me wrong -my daughter is in one of the best (top 10) schools, so they do well overall. But in areas that don't have the resources they teach just enough to get through the test so they can get the money.

Had friends who went to Oak Hall. They loved it. :)
  18. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    Not sure how an exercise in which the children are directed to learn about and evaluate the Bill of Rights amounts to "political indoctrination", but for those who are concerned, what are your thoughts about having children recite the Pledge of Allegiance? Or religious prayer in school?
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    There are some good things about CC, and I'm not sure its worse than current standards, either. But yes, its mostly driven by top-down big-money corporate-stlye reformers - i.e. not grass roots.
  20. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,536
    Pledge - fine and should be done every morning, which we did when I was younger whether it was Catholic school, Public school or Private- non-denominational.

Prayer in school - no. If a group of kids want to hold prayers for school events or whatever (i.e., locker rooms), and they're all of the same faith and in agreement, that's fine though. Not in classrooms, though.