Comments On Popular Diets

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Not rating them, mind you, just various comments:

Mediterranean Diet: I'm leading with this one because we hear that no one diet has been studied more and with more positive outcomes. And no doubt most Americans would be healthier if on this diet. But is it the diet or the lifestyle ? Here's where it gets murky. And are some components of the diet more significant that others ? Indeed, studies suggest that no single component of the diet is as important as alcohol consumption. Studies consistently show a correlation between alcohol use and health and longevity. Want to live forever ? Take up drinking!

The Eat Right For Your Blood-Type Diet: Basically a load of horse****.

The 17-Day Diet: I know a man who lost 42 lbs. in 90 days on this diet. It does work ... but not for the reasons claimed. One such claim is the necessity of alternating higher-calorie and lower-calorie days to 'confuse the metabolism.' Nonsense. You can't confuse the metabolism. Just another crass marketing ploy. Yes, alternating calories may appeal to the psychological need for variety. But the diet works, like Atkins works, insofar as it establishes a calorie deficit.

Paleo: Undoubtedly most Americans would be healthier if their diet consisted of mostly meat and vegetables. And one good reason to love it is because the government hates it. But I find the cult-like devotion to the diet annoying. And I doubt that there is as much to learn from our primal ancestors as we think. And this notion of 'bringing out the genotype' sounds like broscience. Bodybuilders, powerlifters and the vast majority of competitive athletes get their grains and are decidedly not frail. Grains aren't killing people. Eating too much food is killing people.

Atkins Diet: Works insofar as it establishes a calorie deficit. There, I said it. Insulin is not the primary driver of fat storage. Moreover, restrict calories, regardless of foods chosen, and your insulin will likely go down. Besides, who wants to have a body like Robert Atkins did ?

Choose To Lose Diet: Predicated on the notion that fat is making us fat. This is what the government started thirty years ago. Where did that get us ? Besides, the French consume 60% more fat than we do and have a 30% lower rate of obesity and heart disease.

The Abs Diet: Also immensely popular. I like it because it doesn't demonize carbs in general and grains in particular. However, unless it has been edited since it first came out, urging people to eat five to six times a day and giving them license to eat unlimited amounts of designated 'healthy foods' is a recipe for disaster.

Ornish Diet: Tried it, several years ago, for a few months. My total cholesterol dropped to 170. My HDL dropped to 32! So, I started eating fat again. Also, I ditched the running, in favor of strength training ... and my total cholesterol went up again ... but my HDL nearly doubled! Besides, who wants to have a body like Dean Ornish ?
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    What about the DASH diet? I have no idea what it is nor did I care to really read much about it but I saw it was voted the 'best' diet of 2011 on msn.com

I dont know if you consider it a diet but I had great success with intermitent fasting, thanks Dream for the constant beating of the drum, for lack of better words, on that one. It's pretty easy to lose weight when you're ingesting 500-1000 less calories than you burn in a day.

Its also easy to not eat said calories if you just dont bring them into the house all the time. good bye cookies and ice cream every single trip to the grocery store! also now when I do eat them they're much more enjoyable.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I forgot about the DASH diet. Basically, more veggies and less fat and sodium. I'm certainly onboard with more veggies. But fat (and meat) have become a convenient (and lazy) bogeyman.

Good call on Intermittent Fasting. I didn't list it because I consider it more of an eating strategy than a diet. In fact, you could conceivably couple IF with most of the diets I referenced. Indeed, IF seems to be fairly popular with the Paleo crowd these days.

On not bringing goodies home, so as not to have them in the pantry, this is obviously a productive ploy for some. Others I know will get in the car and drive to the convenience store for a fix. :wink:

I'd prefer to see people eating smaller (and maybe much smaller) amounts of the foods they enjoy. I've seen two studies suggesting greater weight-loss success, and better long-term adherence with moderate amounts of sugar as compared to abstinence. But in the end: W-I-N.

(W)hatever

(I)s

(N)ecessary.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Are you winking at me? Stop winking at me, the 7-11 is just so close.

No mention of the plant based diet? Not sure if there is one in particular but I have friends who are all about blaming all modern diseases on eating meat. This same friend ordered fried tofu at lunch with me.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Speaking of ploys to eat less goodies. If I bring home things I want to limit eating I break them down into smaller portions in the pantry or fridge. So, break down a bag of chips into 10 single serving bags or so. It works for me.
  6. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    Look at doing advocare.... 24 day challenge
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I don't have anything against good-natured vegans. But the dogmatic ones should be pummeled about the head and shoulders with a good-sized pork chop.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    What is it ? Ordinarily I'm fairly shy. :wink: but if you'll describe it I may comment.
  9. imnotcrazyiswear

imnotcrazyiswear New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I promise I ran (not drove) to the convenience store for that honey bun...

When I used actual diets, South Beach Diet was what I used. I never felt (too) deprived or constantly starving, snacking is allowed, and weight loss came in a satisfying amount of time. However, I was 18-23 years old when using it. Don't know how it would work for me today...
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    ... just out of curiousity, is there any reason why it wouldn't work now ? Has something changed ?

I find this an interesting topic, peoples' "eating personality", for lack of a better term. Though, as a personal trainer, I function as a sort of eating coach - and have to be prepared to make concrete recommendations - very often I find out what has worked for people in the past and inquire as to why they're not doing it now.

But for the record, I wouldn't follow any diet that didn't let you eat hamburgers and at least an occasional honeybun. :wink:
  11. imnotcrazyiswear

imnotcrazyiswear New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I'm sure it would still work; I only questioned age because I've always heard it was harder to lose weight as you get older. Also, I used the South Beach Diet to shed 15-20 pounds off...not 90 pounds.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Well, I'm 55, and I'm here to tell you that it is NOT harder to lose weight as you get older.

Now, it is true that as we age, we tend to lose muscle. But this is primarily because we are less active and are less prone to really challenge our muscles as we get older. That's why all my trainees do at least a little bit of strength training, regardless of age.