Coming ACA Impacts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by baygator1, Jul 25, 2013.

1. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,274
    I made some adjustments to my personal health policy a couple days ago and received some interesting information from my agent related to changes coming over the next year due to the ACA.

For context:
    I have a medically underwritten policy with BCBS-FL. Because I'm in good health according to all the ways it was measured when I was medically evaluated, the cost for getting a health policy on my own was much cheaper for me (out of pocket cost) than joining my employer's group policy (which is not medically underwritten).

I have not had a single claim against my policy since inception a little over two years ago - no office visit, no problems, no nothing. Yet my plan costs have been increasing over the past 18 months to the point where I needed to make adjustments to my deductible to lower my out of pocket cost.

Here's what I found out from my agent during that process:
    * After January 1, 2014, I will no longer have the option to change my plan to anything other than one of the four ACA 'exchange' plan options.
    * Regardless of what I do, I, along with others who have BCBS-FL individual policies, will be transitioned into one of the ACA 'exchange' plans effective July 1, 2014. At that point I will no longer have the option to have my own, medically underwritten plan which benefits me and my family financially.
    * The exchange plans are not medically underwritten, so I can expect a significant cost increase (estimate I was given was similar in cost to my employer's plan) which effectively doubles my out of pocket cost for coverage levels similar to what I have now.

Here's the summary I took away from talking with my agent:
    If I want to keep a health policy I'm losing choices by being forced into an ACA exchange on July 1, 2014, my out of pocket costs are projected to increase significantly and the cost of the exchange plan will likely dictate that I am forced into an exchange policy that offers much lower benefit levels than I have now with my individual, medically underwritten policy (which will further increase my out of pocket costs).

The significant cost increases folks like me will see with the transition into the exchange will both offset the costs of providing policies that aren't medically underwritten to everyone, and help pay for the coverage of others who will have to be subsidized on one of the ACA exchange plans based on an income/ability to pay test. Or, to say it differently, taking money from me and giving it to someone else.

Repeal and replace.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    The more the layers of this stink bomb are peeled back, the more stories like Bays will come out.
  3. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +870
    We as a Nation deserve the worst medical care at the highest price.

We as a Nation voted in 0bamao and our Senators and Reps.
  4. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,539
    The AHCA will certainly limit choice. For instance, a 27 year old healthy single male will HAVE TO have maternity as part of his coverage under the Exchange plans. I know, I know; if, I, as a man, protest subsidizing women's health care I am relegated to the most evil, vile, pathetic creature known to man = a white Republican. So much for the "pro choice" crowd.
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,461
    but...but....but.... he said we could keep our plan and our doctors!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. KelticGator

KelticGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +293
    So when will you know the details of the new policies you will have to join?
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,045
    :huh:

Who invented Obama-scam/extortion/tax?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,274
    She expected to have more information in October - recommended I call back then.

I also need to add, she presented this information to me very objectively with no blame/slant/political nonsense. It was really a straightforward discussion focused on the law's applicability to my situation based on what they know right now.
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Kind of a strange argument. A healthy 27 year old single woman who never wants to have kids has to buy that coverage too. The money you pay for insurance goes into "subsidizing" a whole bunch of things that you personally will never experience. If you get to pick and choose the perils your policy covers like a cafeteria menu, that defeats the purpose of insurance. Certain conditions afflict men more unequally than women, they can't opt out of those either. Like I said, a strange argument.
  10. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    I have a high deductible plan with Aetna, which saves me a significant amount of money versus my employer sponsored plan. I've contacted Aetna on a couple of recent occasions to determine if my current plan will be available to me next year and they either can't answer the question or choose not to. Very frustrating.

If I were the democrats, I'd find enough votes in the house and senate during debt ceiling negotiations to de-fund Obamacare. They could blame republicans for taking it away while avoiding the long term political risks associated with this piece of crap legislation.
  11. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +346
    We went up 10% to cover our new medical devices taxes. Luckily we can pass it along unlike physicians that are locked into insurance plans. They just have to give you poor care.
  12. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,539
    Kind of a strange argument. A healthy 27 year old single woman who never wants to have kids has to buy that coverage too. The money you pay for insurance goes into "subsidizing" a whole bunch of things that you personally will never experience. If you get to pick and choose the perils your policy covers like a cafeteria menu, that defeats the purpose of insurance. Certain conditions afflict men more unequally than women, they can't opt out of those either. Like I said, a strange argument.

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?p=6701158#post6701158#ixzz2a5Zhw0Lu

Strange argument? You are confusing customization of the product with actuarially pricing it. In your scenario you eliminate the customization of the product (policy). In every freakin' industry (cars, phones, legal services, etc.) we have MORE and MORE customization and in many of these industries the price is going down; however, God forbid we have CHOICE (my point) in Health insurance. What you are saying is "everyone gets the color health insurance they want as long as it's black." Yeah, well, that worked for Henry Ford 100 years ago but it is an antiquated method of delivering a product in 2013. So, it's okay to have choice when it comes to reproductive rights but not okay to have choice when it comes to financing my risk? It's hypocrisy on the issue of choice.
  13. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    WTF are you talking about? As it currently stands now, maternity coverage is an option, and an expensive one at that. I know. I just added it and it doubled my premium.

And maternity isn't an affliction. You're comparing the decision to have a baby to what? The decision to have cancer or an auto accident?
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Sorry, but insurance doesnt function the way phone plans do. If everyone got to pay only for the type of losses they think that they will incur, then you can't properly price insurance. Moreover, it would actually be more expensive (to the point of pricing everyone out of the market), not less if you tried to. If the state regulators say that pregnancy must be covered on a base-level insurance plan (which was already true in some states), then that peril must be priced for everyone entering the risk pool. Just like if they say heart disease must be covered, or diabetes, or whatever. Yes, your premium is subsidizing someone's pregnacy, but their premium is subsidizing whatever you have higher risk of incuring, because everyone is spreading their risk around. Long story short, customization doesnt really work in insurance, almost every regulated product you buy is a "one size fits all" standard policy. Only the (unregulated) non-standard market works on an individual basis, and even then they try to standardize as much as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,359
    If one wants maternity benefits they alone should pay for it. I don't think that subsidizing one's sexaul escapades should be a responsibility of society. Those that want children should not be subsidized by others. One person might want 10 children, why should
    everyone pay for their wants.
    With all the "pills" and protection today, only a fool will get pregnant if they don't want to.
    A family is the responsibilty of the parents along with the cost associated with it. The size of the family is up to the individual. If you want it, pay for it.
  16. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Its amazing how unpopular the ACA is yet we can't get it repealed? Is it just NY and CA that are in favor of this? lol
  17. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,359
    Why we can't get it repealed.
    It's the dumb and dumber factor.
    The dumb? Politicians in Washington.
    The dumber? The voters who elected them.
  18. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +870
    "Sorry, but insurance doesnt function the way phone plans do. If everyone got to pay only for the type of losses they think that they will incur, then you can't properly price insurance."

above does not compute.

Why then can you do so with homeowners insurance? Car insurance within the limits of law (get or not get rental). Commercial liability insurance too. How about dental insurance.

Don't tell me that we are not subsidizing all the unemployed unwed women popping out babies or getting knocked up and getting abortions! That's what it's all about !

My home insurance is very customized. It is a custom home.

As is my jewelry and personal property insurance. Customized to that exact stuff !!
  19. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +634
    it takes a village.
  20. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    I think you need to take a step back and reevaluate.