Comcast Internet, what can I do?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by OrlandoG8tr, Apr 21, 2018.

1. OrlandoG8tr

OrlandoG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Hey there fellow posters, wanted to get your thoughts on my Comcast Internet service.

So before we get any furthers, yes Comcast is terrible, I hate them as well, but sadly I am in one of those areas where Comcast is the only game in town in regards to internet. There is one company that specializes in Business Internet (but also offers Residential Internet) but honestly their rates aren't any better. Besides that, the only other option is Satellite Internet which from everything I've heard is okay if all you do is check e-mail. Absolutely unusable for streaming.

My story is this, I am on a promotion for Internet and very Basic TV (the TV part I don't even need) for $40/month. I just received a phone call from Comcast on Thursday telling me that my promotion is coming to an end. They offered me a new "promotion" but it's $62 for the same service. I called Comcast back and asked if there were any Internet only promotions and they indicated no. They also pushed the fact that if I do nothing I would go to the regular rate which would be $79. They indicated that even if I went to Internet only I would still pay more than $62 which of course would be idiotic.

I feel like this is absolutely ridiculous. For two years I was paying $19.99/month for Internet only. That ended last year and I had to go on the Internet and very Basic TV package for $40/month. Now they want to jack it up to $62/month. So literally in the last year and a half they have raised my rate around $43/month.

I understand everything goes up and was anticipating something like a $5 or $10/month increase. But to me $22/month is just absolutely ridiculous. I told the Comcast rep I would think it over. I am thinking about attempting to play hard ball with them to see if they will budge. I am going to call them next week to tell them I will pay $50/month at most and if they can't do that I will cancel my service.

I remember not having internet during 2008 and it was absolutely terrible. Luckily this time it wouldn't be as bad as my workplace does allow access to a few personal websites (e-mail, news, etc.) and unlike in 2008 I would still have internet through my iPhone. Also unlike 2008 there are so many more places where I could just take my laptop, buy something and then get on their wifi.

Have any of you all had any luck in getting Comcast to budge in terms of lowering your bill? If I do have to play hard ball and cancel internet for a month will Comcast then let me just sign up again? I figure even if I cancel for a month that would make my rate the same over a 4 month period. So essentially every 4 months I would have to cancel my internet. At this point I'm just looking for any advice or strategies.
  2. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,562
    They are an evil company, but I feel your pain. I'm not in your area, but the best deal I ever got out of them was to go to the store in person to see what they would offer. Better offer than the three people I spoke with on the phone.
    Also I bought my own modem and wireless router setup so I don't have that $10/ month fee.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,010
    Call and say you want to cancel. They will transfer you to retention which will offer you the best deal possible to stay.

You will still be paying more than current, but I bet it's less than the $62.

Having worked in the industry once (not Comcast) I can tell you it takes 6 to 9 months before a new installation becomes profitable. Sometimes even longer if the price is very low. And any issue where the company has to roll a truck and send a tech out, and it's another six months plus of losses.

Of course, losing a customer is the biggest loss, which is why retention will have the best price for you.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,441
    Can you sign up for another provider like AT&T? Once you have signed on you can then take advantage of a new customer deal.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OrlandoG8tr

OrlandoG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Good overall advice so far! Thank you. Unfortunately no AT&T is not available where I live. It's either Comcast, a business internet company that also offers residential internet (looked them up, did not get good reviews) or Satellite Internet.
  6. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    100% agree. You have to get the retention department.
  7. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,562
    Lmao Comcast just called me. Tell me we aren't being monitored!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15,141
    Where do you live that you cannot get AT&T Internet? My mother lives in the boonies - no public utilities, terrible cell tower coverage and no cable - yet, she can buy Internet service from AT&T. Another check is the satelite TV providers - sometimes they partner with another group for Internet.

Another thought - check with your cell phone provider and see how much Hotspot data they give you. I know Sprint has what I consider to be a decent amount of hotspot data you can connect to via your wifi on your laptop. My niece hits the limit each month because she uses it to watch movies. The Best Unlimited Data Plans April 2018

Ultimately, you'll need to threaten to cancel service to get any leverage. Of course, if there are no alternatives then you're likely screwed.
  9. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,575
    Big Brother sez you are!

;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gil_the_Gator

Gil_the_Gator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +549
    We need to break local cable/broadband monopolies. Even Google couldn't do it, thanks to corrupt local government that developed cozy relationships with Comcast and their ilk. I think the next step is municipal broadband, or having broadband be treated as a semipublic utility.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,253
    Don't forget about DSL too. It has gotten a lot faster in the last few years, still not up to cable speeds, but it may be an option in your area.
  12. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,627
    Anyone out there using Sling. They offer a lot of channels for $40 a month and you can add more for $5. Is it a good deal?
  13. Gil_the_Gator

Gil_the_Gator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +549
    I actually just changed from Sling to YouTube TV. They're both good options, but YouTube gives you local channels without having to use an antenna and I've found the connection to be more reliable. Plus YouTube has unlimited cloud DVR storage included, which is really nice.

YouTube doesn't offer a few channels that Sling has, however, notably History and HGTV.

There are some other options like that out there, so shop around to see what fits your viewing habits.
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,521
    YouTube tv isn’t offered everywhere.
  15. Gil_the_Gator

Gil_the_Gator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Well that sucks, because it works great.
  16. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,929
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,096
    Used car salesmen stand back in awe of the sleazery of these companies. I thought we lived in a capitalist system where competition brought out the best in service providers. What the heck am I thinking.:mad:
  18. prayingliketebow4life

prayingliketebow4life Sophomore

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Try calling around the holidays: thanksgiving, christmas, new years. They typically will have really good promotions during those times. The promo's change every week. You just have to keep calling until you finally get someone on the phone that will hook you up. Just have to be persistent.