College Football Playoff selection committee named

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Why is cultural diversity a must on a committee like this and why must there be a scholarly touch to it? They could have gone with two former long time successful coaches from each major conference and made everyone happy. This would be my list: Terry Donahue, Mike Bellotti, RC Slocum, Grant Teaffe, Tom Osborne, Lloyd Carr, Phillip Fulmer, Gary Barnett, Gene Stallings, Larry Coker, Rich Brooks, Spike Dykes. I know some of the guys on my list are very old and all white but my basic point is that diversity should only be important when it comes to covering each region and that Rice was chosen for the same reason she is a member of Augusta National: she satisfies two minority groups and isn't a whining liberal.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,864
    While I agree that "diversity" shouldn't be any primary factor in picking a committee, as far as I can tell, Rice was chosen because she's a very smart individual with leadership skills, diplomatic skills and a passion for football (her dad is a coach and she grew up learning the game).

Assuming it's a diversity ploy is an insult to her. Although if people thinking about diversity helped them make an excellent choice they might otherwise not have considered, that's cool.

Outside of not wanting a committee at all, my biggest gripe with the composition is that it is not balanced among the conferences. For a 13 person committee, the ACC, B1G, Big 12, PAC and SEC should get two members each and the last three should be truly independent. IMO.
  3. ElimiGator

ElimiGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    So what is the process for the 4 team selection? From what I've read the selection for the 4 teams will be based on.. "W/L, strength of schedule, head to head, conference champ., but pretty clear it's on the members to figure out." says Jeremy Fowler of CBS. What is pretty clear? Maybe I plan ahead too much or something but a year for something this big requires a pretty clear process plan. ...if you have a link to something clear post it please.
  4. rawgator22

rawgator22 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Women aren't a minority group.
  5. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Selection process is wide open -- subject to plenty human bias. These 13 people are going to select the 4 teams without any criteria. If you think the BCS process stunk, at least there WAS a process. This is from the official College Football Playoff website:

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/story?id=9825420
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +557
    I also heard that they could use injuries as a criteria. Say a team is undefeated but loses their star QB in the last game of regular season. That could keep them out of the playoffs because it would make them a different team then the one who went undefeated.
  7. ElimiGator

ElimiGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Awesome! ...flexibility ....believe is relevant .....many factors to inform their decision. Great. The government process has infilitrated us all. Bring back Sagarin! :clown2: