College coaches with NBA potential

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Sep 24, 2013.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Jeff Goodman polled "more than 50 NBA guys" to see who they would hire if they sought a college coach. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=1559

1. Bill Self, Kansas

2. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke

3. Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State

4. Billy Donovan, Florida

5. Tom Izzo, Michigan State

Others receiving votes: Rick Pitino, Louisville; Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Tony Bennett, Virginia; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Anthony Grant, Alabama; Danny Manning, Tulsa; Greg Lansing, Indiana State

Bill Self at the top? I dont' see any reason K isn't at the top of this list. I would have guessed K, Izzo, Donovan and some other guy who didn't even receive a vote apparently as the top 4 (not that I'm complaining). Anthony Grant? Are you guys surprised at that one for an NBA head coaching gig at this point? I'm sure there are other surprises as well, I'm just not that familiar with some of the names. What do you guys think?
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    It would have been usefull if he had put the number of votes received for perspective.

I could see Self, but that could just be buying into what I've read about him

I would think K would #1, maybe it's just age and being on the backside of his career and absolutely no reason to really consider it.

I find it interesting that Pitino is on there but Calipari isnt. Didn't they both do pretty poorly as NBA coaches? Why is one on there and the other not?

Boheim I dont think would be a very good NBA coach, but that's based entirely on gut feeling

Didnt tommy amaker get run out of michigan? and he's supposed to be an NBA coach?

I have no idea who Gary Lansing is
  3. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    I think Billy could adapt and be a good NBA head coach, but I'd certainly be cautious about guys that run offenses/defenses that aren't very prevalent in the NBA game.

I don't think Billy or Pitino could run that famous full court press with as much success with more proven ballhandlers on the other team. And Boheim's zone probably wouldn't work too well either.
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    Billy runs an NBA-style offense. He also only presses selectively. The Gators have become tough as nails half-court defenders. We probably cause more 30-second violations than any other college team.
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    No Pitino?
    Just because he left that Boston massacre?
    Silly list IMO.

Remember, Pete Carroll left professional coaching with a losing record.
    But how many NFL teams wish they had him right now?
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Pitino was the first one listed in others receiving votes. When Goodman did these things at CBS, they usually listed the "others receiving votes" in order of how many votes they received. That'd put Pitino 6th.
  7. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I agree one would do well to remember the Carroll example. To me it says in coaching at all level it helps a great deal to land at the right spot at the right time.
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    I would put Shaka Smart at the top of my NBA list. He can really coach and he won't overshadow the star players. The other guys are too good/visible to work out. Eventually they would piss off the prima donna players on the team and get fired.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,203
    I think he would have a hard time of implementing his system at the NBA level. Only a few guys have done the perimeter oriented, high ball screen action well (the Van Gundy brothers come to mind). The NBA game favors the isos and running the offense through the low blocks so much given the wider lines, deeper arcs, hand check rules, etc. But the game has definitely changed in terms of the style of players and the whole "positionless" thing. Lots more small ball than there was, which means you have all sorts of 3-5 or even 4-5 pick and rolls you would seldom have previously, so who knows?
  10. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +485
    The NBA is primarily entertainment so you have different rules for different players. If you are "paying the bills" for the entire league like MJ did, you are allowed to hand check and travel to your heart's content. LeBron gets almost the same courtesy from the refs because he is now the guy that people want to watch and hence is the goose that is laying the golden eggs. You need to be able to coach around that.
  11. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    ... Maybe they're just better?
  12. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +485
    LOL