Coaches Poll is out...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Oct 17, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,864
    Good guys roll in at #8.
    http://teamstre.am/17O9XB2

USA Today Top 25 Coaches' PollRANKINGTEAM

1Kentucky
    2Michigan State
    3Louisville
    4Duke
    5Arizona
    6Kansas
    7Syracuse
    8Florida
    9Michigan
    10Ohio State

Courtesy: USA Today

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  2. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Wow, that list is like a who's who of college basketball.
  3. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +785
    Sounds about right. Couldn't be more pumped for the season to begin!

What are everyone's thoughts on the first few games of the season?
  4. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    I feel we will struggle a little early due to a tough early season schedule, injuries healing and possible Walker making it it around Dec.
    At this point, with all these resolved in our favor, we will be a tough out. #8 is about right with all these things taken into account.

As for our schedule I am excited and thrilled to play UConn. Big East teams that have had glory get a lot of press year to year and if you play well against them the press takes notice. Bring em on!

With Kasey Hill fast breaking, I feel the excitement for Gator fans everywhere will be elevated!
  5. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +316
    because of injuries, suspensions and eligibility, I have reservations about our preseason.

Once January comes around, I am excited about the SEC slate and beyond.

My big hope is that we can secure a top 4 seed and play rounds 2 & 3 of the big dance in Orlando
  6. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

My Observations:

#8 Florida is only one point behind #7 Syracuse and two points ahead of #9 Michigan: I guess the coaches see these three teams as to be about even.

No other SEC teams are ranked except for #8 UF and #1 Kentucky. In others receiving votes, Tennessee appears to be the closest in breaking in to the top 25 if the vols could get off to a good preseason start. Other SEC teams receiving votes are Missouri, LSU, and Georgia of all people.

UF opponents in the poll:

- #1 Kentucky (play twice)
    - @ #21 Wisconsin
    - @ #19 UConn
    - #6 Kansas (& Andrew Wiggins)
    - #13 Memphis
    - FSU is unranked
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    If Florida can get by #21 Wisconsin than the Gators should have no problem staying in the top 10-15. Hill will need to play with poise in running this team. As seen below, I think Florida can line up a formidable starting five but may have problems with back-court depth. With all of the injuries, I think that this would be the probable line-up:

PG: 6'1 Kasey Hill/6'4 Dillon Graham
    SG: 6'4 Mike Frazier/ ?6'2 Eli Carter? (If Carter is still injured, it could be Graham)
    SF: 6'8 Dorian Finney-Smith/ ?6'6 Devon Walker (If Walker redshirts, it could be Prather)
    PF: 6'6 Casey Prather (May start over still recovering Yeguete)/ 6'7 Will Yeguete
    C: 6'9 Patric Young/ 6'10 Damonte Harris

Players that should be added to the team (bringing total to 12 schlarship athletes) later in the season:
    PG: 6'2 Scotty Wilbekin (back-court defense should improve with his return)
    C/PF: 6'10 Chris Walker

Questions about this team:

1. Out of Harris and Finney-Smith, who can play PF? Harris has a nice mid-range jumper while Finney-Smith could play the 'stretch 4' role similar to Erik Murphy.

2. Will Florida have a great front-court that can score & defend similar to the '06-'07 teams? If so, than look out. If Florida can add Walker than the Gators will have three athletic and tall (6'9 to 6'10) inside players for the first time since the '06-'07 teams; Yeguete, Prather, and Finney-Smith are a nice luxury bonus.

3. Will Florida have a great 3-pt shooting attack? Frazier will be the key volume shooter while Hill and Finney-Smith will take a significant number of shots. Will Graham, Devin Walker & Carter play a role here also?

4. In the early going, who can be the back-up PG behind Hill?
    It could be Dillon Graham and possibly point-forward Finney-Smith in running some plays.

5. Will the Gators play a 3-guard lineup this season?
    (i.e, PG: Hill SG: Carter SF: Wilbekin/Frazier)
    I hope not always; I would rather see a true SF play here like when Brewer or Parsons were here.

6. Finally, can the Gators still play a high quality efficient team defense and also efficient offense with this current group of players.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,451
    Do you guys think we have reached the "who's who" list of CBB? I've thought we were close but not sure if we made it yet.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    It sounded the other day in Donovan's presser as if both will (in addition to Prather). Some big pairings with Harris and some smaller things with Finney-Smith (almost sounded as if that would be his primary position) and Prather.

Good question. I don't see either Graham or Walker as being effective shooters, but Carter, Hill, and Finney-Smith can be at spots.

The problem here is twofold. First, if we play Prather and Finney-Smith mostly at the three, then you will have 80 minutes to split between four guards: Hill, Wilbekin, Carter, and Frazier (and you can add a fifth in Graham). That is entirely too few, especially when three of those are your best defender (Wilbekin), your best shooter (Frazier), and possibly your best overall player (Hill).

Second, Prather has proven the last two seasons that he is much, much better at the four than at the three. If you put him at the three, his lack of shooting range and ballhandling efficiency kills your floor spacing--all the more if you have someone like Yeguete next to him. That may work in spurts against certain opponents, but not regularly. We need shooting from the three or the lane becomes a cluster. Brewer and Parsons may not have been elite shooters, but they could space the floor enough that it created driving lanes and post-up opportunities.

Personally, I hope we do see Frazier at the three for 10+ minutes a game. That would ease the minutes crunch in the backcourt and increase the floor spacing immensely, which in turn will create a ton of opportunities for great dribble drive kids like Hill and Carter.
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +623
    It seems like the best teams of the last 20 years have one thing in common: length. These teams block lots of shots and alter even more, and then they get the rebounds. This season's team may come the closest in that regard to our two national champions than any other Gator team.

I'm of course talking about the ultimate roster, when we can send out Young, Harris, Finney-Smith, Walker, Yeguete, and Prather in waves. On the perimeter, we can send out BIG guards to shut down perimeter shooters.

I'm excited about this team. My only concern at this point is the number of 3-point marksmen available to us. Frasier will excel, but the others are questionable. I have a feeling that we'll be getting lots of 2s off dishes from Hill. I also have a feeling that Graham will surprise us with his shooting off the bench. He rushed his shots last season, but had a reputation in high school as a great shooter.
  11. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,713
    Can't wait! Could be a special year...
  12. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    Excellent discussion, in my opinion.

The early season is a question mark for two reasons:
    1 - Lots of injuries/suspensions meaning that the team won't have had much time to work together in practice. Billy D made the point the other day that Hill has yet to play in 5 on 5 situations, because he only had 8 or 9 healthy players.

2 - This group will need some time to develop a chemistry like last year's team had before the injury bug damaged them.

Further
    Walker, if and when he becomes eligible, will only have a limited game plan to work with due simply to a lack of experience with the offense and defense. We really can't expect him to contribute very much this year, but hopefully, by the end of the year, things will have slowed down enough for him to perform pretty well.

Regarding 3-pointers, everyone forgot Wilbekin in this discussion, who, last year, was the 3rd best 3-point percentage shooter (well ahead of both Boynton and Rosario) behind Frazier and Murphy, both of who were well over 40%.

Good point about Frazier needing to put in a fair amount of time at the 3. This fits well with Billy D's desire to get both Wilbekin and Hill on the floor at the same time. Think of that group with Prather at 4 and Finney-Smith at the 5 - wow, could they fly. May not happen, but given the versatility among these players, it might.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,993
    Very true. Has has really killed it on spot up threes the last two seasons. What has limited him in terms of volume is his inability to hit that pull up three off the high ball screen, but I suspect with Hill running more of that Wilbekin will get his fair share of those spot up opportunities this season. Same thing when we run some sets through Finney-Smith.
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,079
    It satisfies the basketball Gods. :hairy: