Coach Roper's quotes on Driskel....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Mar 27, 2014.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,080
    I don't mean this the wrong way but everything will show on the field in the games this fall. Until then I am "skittish" about this fall considering how last season went. I will pull for my Gators no matter what but it would be nice to get through one game and not be totally intoxicated by the end of the fourth quarter like I was last year. :D
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,067
    I heard the TV manufacturing industry had a significant icrease of sales in Florida last football season.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    Gator fans need to get off the "We went 11-2" argument.

We had a great season because:

1.) We had the best defense in the country
    2.) Caleb Sturgis
    3.) Mike Gilly

Our offense was still atrocious that year (see Vandy, Miz, and LA Laf games). Almost had 5 losses because we could not score enough points.

In any event, I am confident that going back to a read-option/spread will be a great move. Sounds cliché, but I believe we can do what Auburn did (but also beat FSU).

Go Gators
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,986
    You misunderstand. Speaking for self, I don't read any "hate" for JD. I read skepticism about anything positive this staff would try to tell us after the last few years of BS. I've always thought JD was a good QB, but he's never going to reach his potential as long as the offensive line straight-up sucks due to coaching and recruiting errors that have been 100% on the staff. JD getting hurt last year was the most predictable event in sports with this line.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,953
    My interpretation of his coahspeak? "Man, if I can't get production out of this guy, I am in trouble. No one else is close to competing. And if he fails I am going to throw the rest of the offense under the bus."
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    What does this mean? You can do this dissection with literally any team that has a good year. It's nonsensical.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    It means that JD didn't "lead us to 11-2." Look at the stats.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    Also, you cannot do that dissection with literally any team that has a good year. Very few "good' teams can go 11-2 and have the offensive stats we had that year.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The QB is always the "leader," regardless. That's how it works, for better or worse.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorstew

Gatorstew Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    One of the downsides of the shotgun is actually taking your eyes OFF the receivers and the D for a split second in order to receive the snap and losing that valuable time to make reads ( 25-33% of lost time based on a 3-4 second read just to catch the ball) Under center you can drop back quickly AND still keep your eyes downfield. However, as we've seen that's not necessarily JD's bag, which works out well in our case. So it seems like a good fit.

Buzz words coming from Roper such as 'very fast release' and 'looking the correct direction based on the D coverage' are not coach speak. Those would be flat out lies and Roper doesn't strike me as a sunshine pumper. He's basically saying JD's got the tools and is making correct decisions thus far. How the O-Line can hold up for him and if JD can translate his potential into the games remains to be seen. But I do like our chances.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    11-2 is a weak argument for JD. 11-2 was because of the defense and running game. Hopefully JD plays well this year.
  12. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,427
    But it also means he didn't lose us many games because he took care of the Ball with the exception of the UGA game and bowl game. He did however win us a few games. Texas A&M game is a great one to start with. Without driskel making some plays we don't win that game. Same with the game where he had 170+ yards rushing (tenn or vandy I think) and to add to your post. Most teams win a majority of there games because they are more productive in one or two facets of the game whether it's great defense and special teams (like us in '12) or great offense ok special teams and no defense (like Texas A&M, clemson, West virginia, etc) there isn't exactly a plethora of ultra balanced teams that dominate every facet of the game all season long. Plus you mentioned gilly and his 1000 yard season which is offense and a 1000 yard rusher is usually the goal, we had issue on offense no doubt but you can't degrade what driskel did or better yet didn't do (cause us to lose) because one wants to heap praise elsewhere. I don't remember Greg McElroy dominating or winning many games, but he limited his turnovers and "managed" the game to allow bama's defense , SP teams and running backs to do what they do. . Would you say McElroy didn't "lead" bama to the success they enjoyed?
  13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,427
    One big stat your not looking at is turnovers. Going into the UGA game we only turned the ball over 4 times all year. Which means in addition to him winning a few games for us that year he didn't cost us many either. Remember he was driving us for a potential tie against UGA and a trip to the seccg when our best offensive players reed fumbled at the 5 yard line.

Give him a little credit, his stats weren't eye popping heisman numbers but they were not bad. We were not a passing team in '12 but his td to Int ratio wasn't bad and stats were ok when you count his feet, he had a good completion percentage and ball security.

And '13 wasn't that bad for the whole 2 games he played. He had nearly 500 yards passing, 69% completion % and nearly 8 yards per completion. He had 3 Int which is what I think people hang onto but one was the play he broke his leg and the 2 against miami only 1 was a bad throw over the middle, the other one Tracy Howard got was the wrong route by the receiver, which is understandable since driskel missed all of offseason practice with the appendectomy he had.

In the only season he played significant amount of snaps he had more than a 2 to 1 td - int ratio, nearly 65% completions, threw 12 tds and over 1200 yards and ran for over 400 yards and 4 tds. All leading to a 11-2 record. Not bad for a "horrible" qb.
  14. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    Seems to me to be THE quote of this thread.
    And gosh... a slant... an actual slant pass?
  15. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,778
    A few stiff drinks certainly numbed the pain, I feel ya.
  16. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,778
    Why would he pump sunshine, you would think he would downplay if anything. I like the guy already, has confidence.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    This Staff? Did you think Coach Meyer was Mr. Transparent? We never knew whether Percy Harvin was done for the year or was going to be available to gain 200 yards in total O.

Meyer, Spurrier, Saban, Tressel, Miles none of them "leveled" with the fans about depth charts, injuries, game plans, etc…

To say its something unique to "this staff" is wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. thedyc09

thedyc09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    JD was huge in the running game (broke a certain record against Vandy, as I recall) and his lack of turnovers kept the defense fresh late into games. He was instrumental in many of our wins that year.
  19. 183gator

183gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    System : previous offense Driskell square peg in a round hole
    current offense Driskell round peg in a round hole
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,308
    Agreed. Sounds to me like he's excited about coaching JD. He's had to work wonders at Duke the last few years and he's glad to have a guy with so much talent to play with.