Coach Donovan in SW Florida

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rtgator, Aug 27, 2014.

1. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +898
    Coach Donovan spoke last night at a gathering of the Southwest Florida Gator Club.

Coach spoke highly of Teddy Dupay, who was in attendance. He talked about his recent success mentoring young players.

He then told a story about one close game early in Teddy's career at UF. The score was tied late in the game. So, Donovan called a play to run as the clock wound down. But, Teddy waved off the play and took a shot as time expired. He missed. Needless to say, Coach was angry with Teddy for waving off the play. The game went to overtime. With about a minute left in overtime and a 2 point lead, Coach wanted to run the clock down. When Teddy took a quick 3-pointer from the corner, Coach was furious. But, of course, the shot swished in, giving the Gators a 5-point lead. The opposing coach called time out. As Teddy approached the bench, he winked at Coach Donovan, and Coach said he got over being mad at him.

Here's an excerpt from the article about Coach's visit to Southwest Florida.

http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/college/2014/08/26/gators-basketball-team-lots-questions/14661035/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Good read. The raw materials are there for Billy to mold another solid team together! What struck me was '120 days without losing a game'. How unbelievable was that? UF never did anything like that before.

Regarding the record in the last four years,

that 2012 Florida team was a transition team similar to the 2014-15 team. After Macklin, Tyus, & Parsons finished at UF, Young, Murphy & Beal became first time starters along with Yeguete, Wilbekin, & Prather as key bench contributers. That 2012 group had to go through a lot of growing pains before coming close to their potential. The process may have even taken them several seasons with the changing line-ups. If history is any indication, this year's UF basketball team may similarly have its ups-and-downs.
  3. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    I would say Florida Basketball is back in the "Gated Community of great programs".we were in it after the second title but was foreclosed on and got kicked out. We have since paid our association fees and the Gators are in good standing along with UK, KU , UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, must put UCLA in there, and maybe Mich State.

UNC and UCLA only because of pedigree and legacy. The others with great programs and fan bases. Ours because of the Head Man. Although UF fan base is not great, BD made it happened and in my book he is the "greatest Gator"
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    Love the Dupay story! :cool:

I wish I had played with more of that shooter's attitude back in my high school "glory days" :D

Dupay is the one (and only) Donovan player I sometimes think back on to wonder what it would have been like if Donovan had given Dupay a "neon" green light to shoot (like a Maravich or Marshall Henderson). Team play is best, but it would have been fun to watch Dupay out-Jimmer Jimmer Fredette - as I'm confidant he could have.
  5. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    A hall of fame hitter is a guy who hits for power and average. Donovan has done that. He wins 20+ games and makes the tournament every year. The only exceptions were his first two years when he was building the program and the two years following the departure of Noah, Horford, Brewer and Green. As for the long ball (if my calculations are correct), back to back championships, 4 final fours, 6 elite 8s (including 4 in a row) and a national runner up.

Who would've guessed that an Irish basketball coach from Long Island would prove to be the Greatest Gator of em all!
  6. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Teddy called me right after that. He was incredibly humbled and gracious that Donovan said "UF Basketball wouldn't be what it is today without the City of Ft. Myers, as Teddy Dupay was the first to ommit," recognizing that Teddy played a big role in encouraging Parker, Wright, Haslem and Miller to sign with UF. Almost had him in tears. I'm glad some of you were there to hear it, and post it on here.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    I missed it for a work function :( I am dumb.
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Hmmmm - interesting..

The article included a couple of Donovan statements that I think are particularly important.

'We went 120 days without losing a game. That stands out so much to me. They knew what went into winning...We were a close-knitted team. And any time you pull off parts of the team, the dynamics of your team changes.”

Dupay was, and remains, quite obviously, a headstrong, independent and highly competent person. That story about the "...wind down the clock..." and miss, or make shots the coach didn't think should be taken is rather interesting. Even if you hit such shots or get the rebound 70-80% of the time, when you play that way, you won't go "...120 days without losing a game," unless, of course, you are playing a Wichita State type of schedule.

Nonetheless, although such a way of being is not necessarily best for a "team," for individuals, it is likely "best" for people. Unfortunately, most people are merely sheep in clothing.

Good point Osiris, Dupay was the big factor in Coach Donovan's early success. I was unaware that he also influenced Mr. Basketball Brent Wright and Major Parker, who both were a year before Dupay, Miller and Haslem.

Ohhhhh - g8r - it wasn't merely Noah and the other 3 seniors, but also, Richards and Humphries (the two seniors), meaning not merely the loss of the top 4, but the top 6 players on that team, and having almost nothing behind them, which meant going into the 2007-08 season with primarily freshman at the throttle and was the major reason for the following two relatively weak teams.

I thought that Devon Walker and his 12 minutes per game, was lost for the season with an ACL injury? Why is he mentioned there as if he will be on the team?

Thanks for the link rt.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  9. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    Channeling your inner Nats Moores?
  10. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Teddy was Billy's first commit, not his first signee. He committed as a sophomore, before any of those other guys did. He pounded the pavement hard to get other Florida HS stars to join the party. He had a lot of cred with all those guys.

Teddy was recruited by Billy when he was at Marshall, but he was leaning hard towards Duke (I believe) at the time. When Billy told him he was taking the Florida job, it changed the game.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    Aside from his role as a recruiter for Billy's first teams, Teddy's offensive game helped define the style of play that would be known as Billy ball.
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    Timing-wise, I'm not sure whether it could have happened, but could you imagine how fun a back court tandem of Jason Williams and Teddy Dupay would have been?!!?? :D
  13. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +873
    They faced off in the Orlando Pro-Am this summer. He said Williams could still play pro if he wanted to, he's that fluid. Teddy shredded the net for 30+. I missed that game, I really wanted to see it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Jason Williams and anybody else would be worth the price of admission. He was special.
    • Agree Agree x 1