1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

"CIA Admits It Was Behind Iran's Coup" The agency finally owns up to its role in 1953

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Aug 19, 2013.

1. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Also remember that the USSR now had the bomb and much of the global power struggle was viewed through that lens. We were trying to follow a policy of containment and we stepped on a lot of folks in the process.
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    Yep. And I'm not sure that situation isn't a lot like Egypt. Yes, we could publicly call them out, but given our reputation in the region, that may be the worst thing for the opposition. As I've speculated before, wouldn't surprise me a bit if our "condemnation" of the Egyptian military wasn't both planned and requested by them.
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    I remember it. I remember living (at a young age till mid-high school) with the specter of that looming over all our heads. I had more than a few nightmares about it as a kid.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    I'm in full agreement with you that we do these things and have done them for quite some time.

Maybe it won't make a difference if American citizens voice disapproval of overt and covert meddling in the affairs of others.... especially on the level of installing brutal dictators. But for sure, silence is tacit approval. I just don't think we should be silent and accept that we must behave like this, just because we have behaved like this in the past.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    We have allowed the executive branch to arrogate too much power to itself. Our president, whatever party, has power and authority at his disposal to make war, hold citizens incommunicado and without warrant, assassinate almost anyone, take your land, ruin companies and industries, use the IRS as a weapon and much more. We did this to ourselves by not holding anyone accountable and by not being informed voters.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    Lee Harvey Oswald will still have done it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    I agree with all this. And think we need to be vocal in our disapproval of these activities, as well as in how we vote. Unfortunately, an open ended "war on terror" provides never ending rationalizations and opportunities for these abrogations of power.
  8. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    What forums would you use to voice disapproval of our policies?
  9. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    While I don't necessarily disagree with your premise...it's a point better made on, say, Guatemala or Venezuela rather than Iran.

Again, Iran's meddled in everyone's affairs for thousands of years. Anyone pitying them is literally wasting their breath.
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    As long as they don't play by the rules, we don't have to? I thought that kind of relative morality was for the liberals?
  11. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    Sadly, there is precious little morality in international affairs. This has been true of mankind since the dawn of humanity until now. And, unfortunately, many countries (like Iran) won't respect a moral stand. They'll seek to take advantage of it and do everything to screw us over.
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,882
    I am more concerned with our interests than theirs. Long term our ME policy wasn't beneficial for us - we helped sew the seeds of fundamentalism, facilitate backwards economies that produce more terrorists than GDP (the GDP of the entire Arab world is about 15-20% of the U.S. even with all of that oil and slightly more people), 3 wars we have had to fight, trillions of dollars over the decades and now as the autocracies we helped prop up finally fall, the inevitable instability we will have to navigate for decades probably at a minimum.

Iran may have the worst history imaginable, doesn't have anything to do with whether what we did was right for us. Subjugating a people by force or proxy always comes back to bite you in the ***, sometimes it takes longer than other times, but in the end it never works out well. Pakistan will be next (our history there is as bad or worse than Iran), and they are more dangerous than anything to date, with more people, a more sensitive geopolitical situation, and with nukes.
  13. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    If one thinks of countries as only it's leaders your last point might be valid, however, in overthrowing a democratically elected government we violated the will of the countries citizens, who surely did not deserve this.
  14. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    In other news, the US has screwed up the entire world which was formerly perfect.
    • Like Like x 1