"CIA Admits It Was Behind Iran's Coup" The agency finally owns up to its role in 1953

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Aug 19, 2013.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +870
    Nothing new, but interesting to see them actually admit rather than not deny it. A little more context for why they hate us so much.

foreignpolicy.com

What would we do to another country if we found out that they had orchestrated the overthrow of our government?
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Between the Brits and the U.S., we sure did an excellent job of screwing up that region from 1900-1960. It was pure arrogance but it also bordered on total incompetence.

Maybe it's the proverbial make a mess so you have a job cleaning it up later.
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I think it was more of a matter of short sighted thinking than incompetence. But the arrogance part is correct. The CIA essentially had carte blanche to do almost anything until the COINTELPRO and international assassination stuff came to light in the 70s, and some policy changes made in the late 70s/early 80s. Unfortunately, the war on terror has seen us revert back to old habits in some ways.
  4. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    Big deal, I thought everyone already knew this. However, is there any significance in the fact that the Obama administration released this?
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I think as much was said in the OP. There are a lot of things that are "common knowledge" that aren't acknowledged by intel agencies.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I wonder what we'll be owning up to forty of fifty years from now.
  7. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    The radical mullahs would have taken over Iran anyway. The CIA only created a detour in the flow of events. The Shah did become a target due to his oppression of religious groups. In the long run the march of radical Islam was going to happen anyway. The US is always wheeling and dealing behind the scenes. It's how a super power gets things done.
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    This is ignoring that the "march of radical Islam" as you call it was mainly a reaction to Western meddling in the region. But your statement is classic hindisght bias in any case.
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    So overthrowing a democratically elected govt and installing a brutal dictator is "wheeling and dealing".

You certainly know how to present a situation in its best light. :laugh:

Our love of freedom, rights and the rule of law was a shining beacon for the world that day. So much so in that region, combined with our almost non-stop "wheeling and dealing" over there, that we have goat herders who couldn't otherwise give a chit about anyone more than 10 miles from them, signing up to martyr themselves 10,000 miles from home.

Nice job.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    I often wonder how things might be different if we had stood for the principals of our founding in our post-WWII foreign policy. Would we be viewed as heroes or would we be everybody's doorknob? Who knows, but it would have been nice if we were a little less ham-handed in our approach.

And I disagree with War on Iran. I've always felt that the Iranian populace (not the theocratic government) is the one that most fits in terms of being a strong ally to the U.S. Highly educated, more sophisticated than nearly all of their neighbors. . . In truth, the Iranian people are typically less radical as well.
  11. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,749
    Pretty sure this has been widely known for some time..so not exactly news.

I can somewhat understand Iran being pissed at us for our meddling 50 years ago...but really, whatever Western guilt people feel here is laughably misplaced.

Iran has been meddling with their neighbors for centuries...and continues to do it to this day. Any sympathy for them is wasted.
  12. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Naive much?
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    It's not western guilt as much as the understanding that meddling for short term gain has long term consequences, and thereby recognizing our role in the mess that is the ME. There reasons it is so easy for terrorists to recruit against us and why hating America is a central policy of a number of governments. Hopefully we use it to learn from our mistakes.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    You talking to our government, circa 1953?
  15. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I'm talking our government circa 1953-2013. Anyone who think this kind of thing hasn't gone on in various forms ad infinitum is indeed naive.
    It may occur in more or less benign ways. But we are inveterate meddlers, movers and shakers.
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    So this is your best answer to us overthrowing a democratically elected govt and installing a brutal dictator?

Just "wheeling and dealing".

And anyone who disagrees with such "wheeling and dealing" is naive....as is the idea of respecting rights.

I mean why would a country founded on protection of rights, ever consider the naive notion of respecting rights?

Heck, imagine the crazy naive notion of actually protecting rights? :eek:

Must give you cold chills.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I think you missed what I was saying.
  18. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    We don't disagree. I was very disappointed that we didn't jump on the opportunity to support the Iranian people in their recent uprising. We missed a great chance to help them topple the Theocrats. This is what you get when we (Obama) sit on the sidelines. On the other hand we don't know what clandestine efforts we may have made to help them. Obama talks idealism in public but what he does in secret may be another matter. Which is exactly what I am referring to when I say we've been involved in this sort of thing for as far back as I can remember. :ninja:
  19. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Oak, the history of the US reads like a spy thriller. Iran Contra comes to mind. We also stepped all over sovereign countries during the Viet Nam war (Cambodia, Laos). Even today we have a drone program that kills American citizens without trial. The example are endless C'mon man get real. The big boys make their own rules. Right now someone at the NSA may be reading our posts because I used the word drone.
  20. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    If you're saying our government was naive I would use a different word; arrogant. Remember that the OSS (which was the precursor to the CIA) pretty much did whatever they wanted to in WWII. It was a case of us or them. The CIA continued that attitude and added to that the idea that might makes right. We were the only real superpower then and we were pretty arrogant.