Church nativity scene displays bleeding Trayvon

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    The Catholic Church teaches no such thing as having "only faith" as a reason to believe in its spiritual doctrine. One of the epistemological slogans, if you will, of Catholicism is fides et ratio; faith and reason. Big love to Thomas Aquinas.
  2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Once upon a time, liberal democrats would have been outraged at suCH a blatant act of disrespect.. when yourparty hasto whore itself out to anything goes crowed, you have to accept this garbage as ok.
  3. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Fair enough, I suppose, I think. Then again, how do you know what I was taught? NTL, reason is not empiricism and faith has its own epistemological method as a way of understanding and the reasoning it uses to get there is not based on empirical substantiation.

Likewise re:Thomas Aquinas.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    What are you babbling about?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bushmaster

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Exhibit #1.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    it has something to do with liberals. I'm guessing he doesn't like them.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bushmaster

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Read gentlemen. Its not that hard.
  8. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Appears YOU have become a god, jdr. Check your "likes". Appears you have surpassed the Pope in Chomps world.:)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Read somewhere that out of over 30,000 archaeological digs not one refutes the history in the Bible. Many "peoples" mentioned in the Bible have been challenged only to have been eventually discovered. Take my link as a whole and the evidence is overwhelming.

You're a researcher. Somebody help me out please. What's the name of the book where the researcher went out to disprove Christianity and is now one of it's greatest apologists?
  10. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Found it. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.

A seasoned journalist chases down the biggest story on record in The Case for Christ. Retracing his own spiritual journey from atheism to faith, former Chicago Tribune legal editor Lee Strobel cross-examines a dozen experts with tough, point-blank questions in search of credible evidence that Jesus of Nazareth was positively the Son of God. This riveting quest for the truth about history's most compelling figure reads like a captivating, fast-paced novel, yet it's anything but fiction!

Part 1 Examining the record
    Can the Biographies of Jesus be Trusted?
    • Do the Biographies of Jesus Stand up to the Scrutiny?
    • Were Jesus' Biographies Reliably Preserved for Us?
    • Is there Credible Evidence for Jesus outside His Biographies?
    • Does Archaeology Confirm or Contradict Jesus' Biographies?
    • Is the Jesus of History the same Jesus of Faith?
      Part 2 Analyzing Jesus
    • Was Jesus really convinced that He was the Son of God?
    • Was Jesus Crazy when He claimed to be the Son of God?
    • Did Jesus Fulfill the Attributes of God?
    • Did Jesus - and Jesus Alone - Match the Identy of the Messiah?
      Part 3 Researching the Resurrection
    • Was Jesus' death a sham and his resurrection a hoax?
    • Was Jesus' body really absent from His tomb?
    • Was Jesus seen alive after His death on the Cross?
    • Are there any supporting facts that point to the Resurrection?
      Conclusion The Verdict of History
    • What does the evidence establish and what does it mean today?

I have it on good authority copies are readily available in Richmond.:D

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=715617&sp=72595&kw=the case for christ&event=PPCSRC&p=1020037
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Chomp, double triple dare ya to read it! I'll buy.
  12. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    I've seen in the past where some archeological digs have bolstered support for stories that appear in the Bible. I don't find that surprising at all since the Bible does serve a historical count in many ways. But yes, as a researcher, my skepticism lies more in "how much" (noting that I am not an expert on this history). In other words, I can't say for sure whether 30k archeological digs absolutely confirm Bible stories since I've not reviewed them myself nor am I an expert in the area. Perhaps one could say I am skeptically neutral on this issue, and by skeptical I don't mean "dismissive" only that I have reservations.
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Archeology certainly hasnt "proved" any of the more fantastical claims in the Bible either, nor is it in the business of "refuting" religious belief. The bible largely does cover real places and historical events, so its not surprising that places mentioned in the Bible are mentioned in the historical record, or in relics of the past. But there is only so much archeology can do, there are many gaps that can't be filled in via written sources or by digging them up. There is a ton of speculation, and little evidence. I think Freud (and others) had a theory on monotheism and Akhenaton (of Egypt), rampantly speculating that Akhenaton was Moses (or Moses was a follower). Most scholars don't take it seriously any more.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Interesting read for a train ride:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/does-archaeology-support-the-bible

1. At this point it is relevant to comment on two world-famous archaeologists with whom I had the privilege of working as an area supervisor with the American Schools of Oriental Research at the excavation of Gezer in Israel many years ago. Each of them (at two separate excavations) gave wonderful lectures to 140 American college students.

At the time of his lecture, Professor Nelson Glueck stated, “I have excavated for thirty years with a Bible in one hand and a trowel in the other, and in matters of historical perspective I have never found the Bible to be in error.” Being a world-class Jewish scholar, Professor Glueck would have meant the Old Testament when he referred to the Bible, but it is also true that at least on one occasion, to my knowledge, he defended the accuracy of the New Testament writings as well.

The other lecture was given by Professor George Ernest Wright of Harvard University. He spoke on the validity of the writings of Moses, especially the covenant documents in the Pentateuch. He stated that the research of Professor George Mendenhall had led to the conclusion—with which he agreed—that the covenant documents of Moses were a unity and must be dated to approximately 1500 BC.

In further conversation after the lecture, Professor Wright told me that he had lectured for 30 years to graduate students—especially at Harvard—and he had told them that they could forget Moses in the Pentateuch. He now acknowledged that for thirty years he had been wrong, and that Moses really had been personally involved in the actual writing of the Pentateuch.
  15. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Major Evidences Regarding the Person of Our Lord Jesus
    Events surrounding the words and actions of Jesus have been authenticated by archaeological discoveries.

1. Problems about the census at the time of our Lord’s birth have been resolved by the findings of important papyrus documents. These documents were found in Egypt inside sacred, embalmed crocodiles. The documents were the Jewish priestly writings that were written immediately before, during, and just after New Testament times.
      [​IMG]
      Part of an inscription about enrolling for the poll tax

The excavators Granfell and Hunt reported that their evidence showed that this was the first census (poll tax—enrollment) that took place in the time of Quirinius. (Another inscription has shown that Quirinius was in Syria twice—first as a military leader at a time of civil unrest, and later as Governor of Syria.) The census was probably delayed in Palestine because of that civil unrest.
    2. Those papyrus findings have thrown much light on the words our Lord used. It is indeed true that He spoke the language of His time on earth (Mark 12:37).
    3. Pilate is now better known because of a recovered inscription at Caesarea. The John Rylands papyrus (AD 125) records part of the trial before Pilate, fragments of which are recorded in John 18:31–33, 37–38.
    1. [​IMG]
    Both sides of the Rylands Papyrus
  16. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,191
    Do your research por favor! Nobody is promised tomorrow.