Chris Walker Officially Joins The Gators!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    You should talk with PJ Hairston or a UNC fan to see if they agree with you. Although, I don't mind the NCAA slow playing that decision. : )
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Why put any unnecessary pressure on the kid. It would be a big mistake to call him the next Horford, Noah or Percy Harvin.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678

I thought the same exact thing, but it came out yesterday that UNC hasn't actually applied for Hairston's reinstatement. They applied for McDonalds in December and he got reinstated yesterday. Sometimes, well most of the time, I think the NCAA deserves the blame (and definitely not the benefit of the doubt), but it seems with eligibility matters this may not always be the case.

I'm still astounded by how little anyone appears to know about Walker's issue. Is it JUST a visit to Kansas? Is it just the travel costs associated with the visit? If so, that's pretty cut and dry. I cant' think of a time when a player had their eligibility in question for longer than the amount of time they were to be (or were going to be) suspended. As little faith as I have in the NCAA, if they see Walker's issue as being one that warrants a 3 game suspension, I doubt they take 6 games to decide this.
  4. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    I found this quote to be very insightful about what we are hearing about Walker. It is in the article about Donovan that has its own thread.

"I made this comment after the [Kansas] game -- the fact that anyone is comparing Andrew Wiggins to LeBron James is nuts. It's just crazy. It's not fair to Wiggins ... he's a great player, he's gonna be one-and-done, he's gonna be a high draft pick. But it's not fair to him. And I'm not gonna let that happen to Chris."

It may be just me, but this gives the appearance that we will not know how good Walker is until he plays a game and that everything Donovan has said about being dominated by Young might not be the "exact" truth.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +829

I think BD is playing it perfectly with Walker. Mind you, I am hoping that he can add an offensive dimension to our 4 spot that we don't have right now. If it happens, we are going to be ridiculously good.
  6. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +350
    I wonder if he has ever had a conversation with Noah? Talk about a guy that blossomed between his first and second seasons.

I also wonder if he is rooming with Kasey Hill . I believe that both will return for their sophomore seasons
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    I wonder if some of that 'dominating' is Billy letting Pat be a little extra physical with him to get used to playing against bigger guys.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    I suspect it may have to do with the 50 pound weight advantage Young has on Walker and also the fact that Walker is playing at a much slower pace and with less aggression as he learns what we are doing. The easiest way to get dominated is to play indecisively.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Billy D announced that Walker won't play tomorrow against Fresno. Does anyone know if he will at least make the trip even if he doesn't play or dress out.

I still think it would be a good experience for him
  10. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    Yeah, even if he was just there, you would think it would help him get more comfortable with game time situations.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    Again, I suspect this is part of the suspension so he won't make the trip.
  12. CASontag

CASontag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209345978

Well so much for Hairston. Guess UNC had not shot of getting him reinstated. Adios! Guess we'll see Hairston play basketball next in the NBA.
  13. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    they are living together.
  14. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +350
    In the case of Wilbekin, Finney Smith and Harris, we at least knew they were suspended even if the minimum penalty was only speculation.

There has been no announcement that Chris Walker has been suspended. I am not sure why him making the trip to south florida and sitting on the bench in street clothes would be such a no no, now that he is enrolled in school and practicing.

Will he able to do this for the 3 home games coming up? Again the experience of watching Billy, the assistant coaches and players including those at the end of the bench would be helpful to his development.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    For one thing, the NCAA has pretty strict rules on travel, which may have something to do with it. Truth be told, I don't know, but I honestly doubt sitting at the end of the bench would be that much of a benefit to Walker. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
  16. aerogator70

aerogator70 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Since Billy D is trying to develop a "team", if allowed, I think it would be beneficial to Walker and the Gators to have him with the team and ride the pine when they travel. Doesn't sound like a big deal but I think it is kind of important.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    Traveling to Sunrise? Really? New York, I could see, but not Sunrise. The team is hanging out and practicing heavily over break, so Walker has plenty of time around the guys. It might help him get accustomed to the travel routine (getting your stuff packed, getting to the bus on time, flying with the team, rooming if it is an overnighter, getting back late after the game, etc.), but I don't see much benefit to it otherwise unless they are planning an extended stay somewhere with practices, which is what you get with the exempt or preseason tournaments.
  18. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    From another source

"Walker is expected to get clearance to begin practicing with the Gators when final exams end next week, but he could
    serve a 2-3 game suspension for an unofficial visit to Kansas that was paid for by Matt Ramker, former director of the Florida Rams, who has gotten a show cause and a five-year ban from the NCAA. Walker played AAU ball for Ramker
    '
  19. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Might Walker be in the midst of his suspension as we speak. I imagine the Savannah State game on 12/29, will give us some idea.
  20. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    If it's a 3 game suspension, Franz Beard has speculated as much, we won't see Walker until the Richmond game on January 4. That will get him one game under his belt going into SEC play.