Chris Walker Filling Out

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Jun 11, 2014.

1. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Okay Guys...
    If this keeps up... I am gonna have to go out and get the Rosetta Stone version for "Geek 101"....
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I have a good excuse. I own a 3d animation company in my spare time (designing computer animations for litigation support, such as car accident reconstructions, medical procedures and anatomical diagrams and functions, etc), so I use a lot of the same software and equipment as Weta - they are the best in the industry. X-Men movies, the LOTR movies, Iron Man, Avengers, Godzilla, etc.

That said, they emailed me and confirmed that they had nothing to do with the Walker picture and haven't heard any rumors about any computer enhancements being made.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  3. ampage21

ampage21 Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Nope you're right. Frazier can actually shoot ;)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,451
    You don't think they're similar physically? If they're both 6'-4" and 210, that's at least a start.

I'm guessing Frazier can't become the athlete Wade is/was, but I hope Teddy convinces him to train toward that goal and - thereby - improve his ability (and mentality) to go to the basket.
  5. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    Someone needs to teach him how to avoid charges...
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Chris W has a rare level of athleticism. Once he gets the hang of this system and a bit of experience, he's going to be a player people all over the country are going to tune in to see next year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    This I agree with, but they do not resemble each other in any way besides maybe height and even that's not really too similar if you include arms hands reach etc... Frazier is a lights out shooter, if wade could shoot like he can we wouldn't know the name Jordan anymore..
  8. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    According to LeBron, D Wade is about 6'2", so Frazier might be taller. But then Frazier is probably shorter than listed too. Doesn't matter as long as the guy can keep shooting like he did last year.
  9. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    Comparisons aside, it is interesting to hear that Frazier is working to develop as a guard who can use his power as he drives to the basket. It sounds like he could really round out his game.

Also good to hear that Walker is doing well with his strength/weight training. He has a chance to have a very big season.

Hopefully, Hill is developing a complementary outside game to go with his natural ability to penetrate and dish.
  10. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +600
    He is taller go to draft express and check his sock measurement

Predraft Measurements
    YearSourceHeight w/o ShoesHeight w/shoesWeightWingspanStanding ReachBody FatNo Step VertMax Vert
    2003NBA Pre-Draft Camp6' 3.75"6' 4.75"2126' 10.75"8' 6"6.731.535.0

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz34rZCILtb
    http://www.draftexpress.com
  11. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I don't think anyone was comparing Frazier to Wade... Just saying that he has sufficient size to go through people on his way to the rim so he should be more aggressive.

I think the biggest thing Frazier needs to work on is his handle. He has zero ability to break anyone down off the dribble, which really limits his ability to penetrate unless he has a wide open lane. He's good once he actually does get to the rim, though. He really was good finishing in transition last season.

As for Walker... I expect we'll be playing a lot faster next season. Watching Hill throw up lobs to Walker in transition is going to be a lot of fun.
  12. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Hey rserina, that's not nice.

Just because I have a son who's a filmmaker, so, I learn a lot more about this than most people about such things, doesn't make one a "dork." Now realize that I am assuming the negative connotations that tend to associate with the term "dork," whereas "geek," which used to rank about with dork regarding negative connotations (people who everyone made fun of in high school), today, a lot of mature women are telling young women to "marry the geeks" because in today's society, they tend to be pretty successful, so, that term no longer carries the negative connotations it used to, however, I think that "dork" is still a detrimental term.

That's not nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Regarding playing faster next year, realize that Horford and the freshmen will have only had 6 months to work with the team when the season starts, and that both Walker and Murphy will only have had 9 months.

Don't expect to see the type of highly sophisticated cohesion you saw the past two years from this upcoming group.
  14. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +600
    The team will be significantly faster and more athletic
  15. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Faster doesn't automatically mean better or more cohesive. It just means... Faster.

Kasey taking over full-time PG duties for Scottie is almost definitely going to lead to us playing faster.
  16. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +663
    It's all on the agenda, but Fraz doesn't need to be the greatest beating people off the dribble right now because his shooting accuracy & range makes his shot fake really effective to break defenders down and get a step
  17. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    I think you mean nerd. Geek is still negative. I would definitely tell my daughter to marry a nerd and not a geek. Geeks are usually just fanboys.

http://slackprop.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/on-geek-versus-nerd/
  18. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Not that any of these words are (or should be) offensive to anyone that's not in HS or younger, the word "geek" did also undergo a recent cultural transition:

Geek

"Although often considered as a pejorative, the term is also used self-referentially without malice or as a source of pride. Its meaning has evolved to connote 'someone who is interested in a subject (usually intellectual or complex) for its own sake.'"

Geek chic

"Geek chic", also the title of a book, refers to a minor fashion trend that arose in the mid 2000s in which young individuals adopted stereotypically "geeky" fashions, such as oversized black horn-rimmed glasses, suspenders/braces, and highwater trousers. The glasses—sometimes worn with non-prescription lenses or without lenses—quickly became the defining aspect of the trend, with the media identifying various celebrities as "trying geek" or "going geek" for wearing such glasses, such as David Beckham, Justin Timberlake, and Myleene Klass. Meanwhile, in the sports world, many NBA players wore "geek glasses" during post-game interviews, drawing comparisons to Steve Urkel.

As many of the other identifying characteristics of the trend, such as clip-on suspenders worn with short-sleeved shirts, were unsuitable for the business environment into which young adherents were entering, the trend quickly died out. However, heightened media awareness of the hipster subculture, which had simultaneously embraced thick-rimmed glasses, led to a conflation of hipster aesthetics with "geek chic." As a result, the media and social commentators continued erroneously referring to hipsters as "geek chic" after the trend had faded. The term is now nominally used in the world of retail optics, where it is similarly erroneously applied to both hipsters as well as retro style.

Self-application
    In the wake of the fashion trend, the term "geek chic" was appropriated by some self-identified "geeks" to refer to a new, socially acceptable role in a technologically advanced society

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek#Geek_chic
  19. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    Exactly. The definition at the top is why you don't marry a Geek unless they are also a Nerd. Just being interested in a subject gets you no where. You have to turn that interest into a career. Most just become fanboys instead.
  20. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I agree. But years in which we have a group as cohesive as the one that just graduated will be rare. Our team defense will be nowhere near as good. HOWEVER...the defense will be good, perhaps excellent, purely on the strength of length and athleticism. Rebounding might even be better. Walker is gonna be an eraser around the hoop.

My biggest concern for our success is finding consistent outside shooters to help MFII out. Coaches are already studying that UConn tape...