Chris Walker Eligible! (first game vs. Mizzou on Tuesday)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,233
    How good is it that even without him we are arguably the 3rd best team in the nation?
    Football season is thankfully fading into my rear view.!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,233
    Steal laptops, get thousands: Zero games.
  3. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Cam was kicked out of UF. After that, it's none of UF's business what happened to him.
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,454
    So now the question is who gave him the free stuff? Apparently not Florida.
  5. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
    We know that because of the letter posted; the folks looking out for his welfare helped him with travel, clothes, and transportation.

The amount deemed to have been taken from "agents" was stuff worth a paltry $270, which he'll have to repay to a charity of his choice.
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

Unless you read something I didn't the cash amounts were what totaled 270. Agents or others, not including the nice folks looking out for him, may have provided some or much of that other stuff. Its not detailed that I've seen.

Either way, the thought of Florida doing this is laughable. They didnt' need to cheat to get Walker. This stuff came from agents, nice people genuinely looking out for Chris, or greedy people pretending to look out for Chris.
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    No I didn't miss it but they so made a point to mention the benefits others got as well. If that's an issue they should be consistent in applying it. It's just an arbitrary decision making body.
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    With Chris Walker now eligible next Tuesday for an ESPN game does anyone think that Dickie V has had to change his travel plans?
  9. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Let me tell you guys about this DIE-PUH DANDY!!!
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

I don't know Born. This from "menopause"

I swear I didn't doctor a single one of those. They're from actual UK fans. A few days ago someone started a thread asking what your most "hated team" is. The entire thread listed probably 8 to 10 different teams. Florida wasn't mentioned. I think some of you overestimate the Florida hate. I get that UK fans were obnoxious in assuming they'd land Donovan, but don't confuse the two traits.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Also, Chris can see first hand how much Casey has benefited from Donovan's coaching.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I went and looked for myself. A little suprised to see this reaction, but that's what I'm seeing.
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Okay, I'm not mad at the NCAA any more, not after seeing the laundry list of infractions. This deserved a lengthy suspension.
    Time to move on. Case closed, and Walker is eligible in less than a week.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,676
    Exactly. If it was a 12-game suspension, then there is no way Walker could have made it to the court any sooner. That won't stop the conspiracy theories, though.
  15. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Yeah, it's hard to complain about the NCAA now. When we all thought this was just a trip to Kansas, it was one thing, but there appear to have been some (relatively) serious issues, and considering how seriously UF takes compliance, this was always going to be a thorough, slow-moving process.

Now, the fact that taking free cell phones is against the rules is a completely different question from whether or not it should be and whether the NCAA's whole system of player management is hopelessly silly and corrupt (hint: it is). But you can't exactly expect Walker to be Curt Flood in this case.
  16. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,233
    I was responding to the system that the NCAA uses to suspend players based on the payment received. My point was Cam did way worse, and never missed a snap. It has nothing to do with Florida. It has everything to do with the NCAA.
  17. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Ummm..yes!
  18. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Okay, but your post mentioned Cam stealing the laptop, which only happened at UF.

Also, the NCAA never found any evidence that Cam himself knew about any money, so they couldn't do anything to him.
  19. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,540

It all depends on when Willie Meggs gets involved.
  20. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
    What are you talking about? It's all written in the report; UF isn't implicated in any of it... all that stuff occurred while he was trying to make AAU games.

The official report was posted 2 pages back, but here it is again...

Men’s basketball student-athlete Chris Walker will be eligible to play for the University of Florida on Feb. 4 after sitting a total of 12 games, or 40 percent of the 2013-14 basketball season. Walker received preferential treatment from five people, including two agents. In addition, Walker will be required to donate the $270 received from the agents to a charity of his choice and serve 80 hours of community service for the remaining benefits received.

According to the facts of the case, which were agreed upon by the university and NCAA staff, when Walker was a prospect, he accepted free cell phones and service, airfare, lodging, meals and apparel. Additionally, individuals close to Walker received free airfare and lodging for nine different trips, including eight associated with Walker's non-scholastic basketball team competitions.

“The NCAA membership has expressed continued concern about how third-party influence, improper agent involvement and the role of nonscholastic basketball impact student-athletes and prospects,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs. “Out of concern for student-athletes’ wellbeing, our members have created rules that limit the involvement of these individuals. The 12 games Mr. Walker was required to sit out reflect the significance of these violations.”

Florida filed for reinstatement for Walker late Jan. 21. The NCAA then worked with Florida to finalize the facts until today’s decision.

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete’s eligibility be reinstated. The NCAA staff reviews each student-athlete reinstatement request individually based on its own merits, including the significance of the violations, and set of specific facts. After consideration by Division I Leadership Council on Jan. 17, the membership has directed the national office staff to consider when extenuating circumstances lend themselves to an alternative outcome for these types of decisions. The governance committees and Leadership Council have agreed to review such circumstances and provide feedback to the staff.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...da’s-chris-walker-reinstated-ncaa?division=d1