Chris Walker Eligible! (first game vs. Mizzou on Tuesday)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Jan 29, 2014.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Hate to toot my own horn (not really though), but it seems what I suggested COULD be the case WAS the case.

- The NCAA may not have been ridiculously slow. In fairness, I said I thought they probably were, but I said theoretically we couldn't have known that. It turns out they took 8 days to act on UF's request to reinstate him.

- The NCAA didn't take longer to clear him than he would have had to miss had they acted sooner. I said this was at least possible. They made the announcement today and he's not eligible till next week. No time missed.

- I also said it was possible that there was more to Walker than just the Kansas trip.

Some people will get caught up in the dollar total. But IMO this wasn't a misinterpretation of the rules or a misstep or technicality regarding a recruiting visit. There's more than a quantity here, there's a quality IMO. But hey, if the rules were the way I wanted them, none of this would have cost Walker a single game. I'm happy for the kid and hope this delay brings him back for a sophomore season.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    did you miss this part? "he accepted free cell phones and service, airfare, lodging, meals and apparel. ...".

it's over with, I am ready to move on! and see him play.
  3. aerogator70

aerogator70 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    You do have to wonder why the University waited until the 21st of January to ask for his reinstatement. I certainly hope there is more to the story.
  4. G8tr69

G8tr69 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Finally, YES!!! :)
  5. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Wonderful news. Now that he is eligible, let's give the kid a break. He is an important addition to the team but he is not the teams savior! This team does not need a savior, it is ranked #3 at the moment. CW is an immensely talented freshman who has never played a game against college competition. Let us savor the fact that we will get to see him play an not load him down with unrealistic expectations. He will help, no doubt about it. But he isn't going to pick the team up and carry it to an NC. Four seniors have done the heavy lifting. Welcome aboard Chris. Count on us for support and appreciation. So glad something has finally gone right for you:)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    Oops, I guess all those basketball tournaments that our travel coach and a couple of other parents paid for tourney fees, lodging and food so the boys could play and get better made them ineligible.
  7. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Presumably, your coach and the parents are not sports agents, as opposed to Chris Walker's situation. If not, you're okay.
  8. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    Reports on Twitter that the plan is for Walker to come back at least one more season.

Edit: I should let it be known that this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I guess the feel is that no matter how good Walker looks at this point, he probably won't be a lottery.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Not that school officials will be particularly candid, but I would like to see the media covering the Gators be aggressive with the UAA about seeking an explanation of the Jan. 21 reinstatement request. It doesn't make sense on many levels, unless it was a negotiated date so the NCAA could appear to have acted expediently.
  10. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    My assumption as to why they did not file until the 21st is because they were encouraged not to. I still think this was a case of the NCAA moving at a snail's pace. Once the NCAA gave the word to UF that he would be cleared if they filed, then UF filed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Now that we know that Walker is serving a 12 game suspension, I think it is impossible to really rate the NCAA's investigation speed. Maybe they moved slow. Maybe it was fast. What we do know is that the NCAA did not do the one thing that would have been absolutely unacceptable in extending the investigation beyond the term of the suspension, so this is ultimately ok by me. Walker did the crime, so he has to do the time. And thankfully for all of us, the time is almost up.
  12. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Seems pretty clear to me that UF knew that he needed to serve a significant suspension and that's why they did not apply for reinstatement til Jan 21. My guess is Billy wanted to be kept out of the loop to avoid having to talk about it when asked.... he kept saying the administration was handling it. Not happy about the lack of transparency in these issues, but at least he will be cleared for the last 10 games of the SEC schedule.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    The real benefit from C Wok will come in rebounding and shot blocking.
    And statistically it's probably the place where we need the most help right now.
    Now Dorian can stay perched on the wing and either attempt the 3 or drive to the basket.
    At the very least we have another body that can give 5 fouls and spell Patric, Yeguete & Dorian.
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    This is definitely believable to me, since Walker never once balked on coming here, even when he knew he was going to miss the SEC preseason. Otherwise, he could have saved himself the headache, gone to Europe and showcased his talent.
  15. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    I hope to see him back because reports from practice have said he has a long way to go, but you never know who is in his ear, and it will depend on how much he actually plays and shows on the court.
  16. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    You were not the only one saying this. I think most people were putting 2 and 2 together seeing as how the Kansas player on the same trip was eligible, not hard to see that there had to be something else.
  17. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Agreed. Walker can help with rebounding and especially shot blocking. Probably wont be the case right away but there is a good chance by March, he may be the team's best shot blocker. Walker can jump threw the roof and cover a lot of range. Will be a nice addition.
  18. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    True...he will be a valuable addition to the lineup, but we're already a title contender without him, so he doesn't need to carry that much of a burden. Ease him into the games and let him shine. Billy will get the maximum out of CW, don't worry.
  19. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,380
    So after watching the way things happen in college sports in recent months....

If an NCAA player uses an unauthorized cell phone to report a rape by another NCAA player, who gets the harshest punishment? o_O
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Bryan85

Bryan85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    This goes with the scale of suspended games I posted here last week. So they deemed the extra benefits warranted a 12 game suspension.
    Some free trips, a phone and phone service.... worth about, what, $1,500? Quite consistent with the scale, eh?

NCAA SCALE

The NCAA uses a sliding scale as one measure to determine punishment in impermissible benefits cases. This is the likely rate for a basketball player determined to have received an impermissible benefit:

Benefit Suspension
    $501-$700 3 games
    $701-$1,000 6 games
    $1,001 or more 9 games