Chris Walker...Clearinghouse

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by LetItFly, Aug 18, 2013.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Love the panhandle. Not the schools. My brother just resigned from Mosely after just two years. My sister in-law teaches at Lynn Haven elementary and has sent two kids through LH, Mowat and Mosely. I go by what they tell me compared to what we experienced with our kids.

FWIW, there are schools in every state that don't prepare kids for college. We probably have more in Chicago than the upper half of Florida.
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    There is a big difference between high schools that do not do a good job of preparing students for college and high schools that do not understand what needs to be done to meet the very minimal requirements for an athlete to be initially qualified.
  3. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Those high schools should be fined, teachers fired and new grads hired. No excuse. If you suck at your job, you are fired. If you don't even understand how to do your job, you never should have been hired in the first place.
  4. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +901
    BUMP

Now that we know Eli Carter is good to go, is this^^^ still the latest we have on Chris?
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    FWIW, I go to every high school reunion, I go home twice a year and gave part of my inheritance from my mom to fund literacy programs in Bay Country. I've even insisted that my kids spend time at this facility so they know what their grandmother stood for. I still contribute time and money to political campaigns in Bay County.

Being frustrated with the community where you grew up isn't the same as hating it. I love UF, but I'm very concerned about where it's headed right now.

I moved my family to a community and a school district in Illinois that I knew would provide the most for my kids, most notably the programming my autistic son was going to need. In the ensuing years, I've had the opportunity to compare this district and the Illinois education system to Florida's. Illinois isn't even in the top third, but the comparisons to Florida's are like Division 1 vs Division 3, especially when it comes to special ed. That is where I am most ashamed of Florida's education system. It's in the bottom three, and the panhandle gets the worst of it. They pay teachers less than we pay sanitation workers. My brother was a 29 year veteran in the army with a BS from West Point and a MA from UF. He was paid $37k a year to teach in Bay County. In his last job, he was in charge of all US military operations in 25 African countries. That was hard, but it made sense. Teaching in Bay Country Florida made no sense.
    • Like Like x 1