Chris Walker...Clearinghouse

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by LetItFly, Aug 18, 2013.

1. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,464
    So I wonder what the chances are that he will try to go to the pros after the season? Hopefully the draft will be loaded.
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I think everyone wonders this. The most connected posters seem confident he's planning on returning for his sophomore year, as far as I've noticed at least.

I don't think there's a question about this being a strong draft next year. I think Walker has all the reason in the world to return for a second year. He's a freak athlete with tons of potential - and we all know how much NBA gm's like potential. This would likely secure him a fairly high draft slot even in a loaded draft - but just think if he stayed longer, improved, and entered into a weaker draft the following year. The only risk with returning is if, for some reason, his potential came into question after an extended stay in college (failure to develop, more time to nit pick, etc). If I were him, my only concern would be deciding between staying two years and staying more than two years unless my family really, really needed the money.
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    Also have to consider how much he likes or dislikes school. Financially, I think it is a no brainer to stay with the upcoming draft class but he may really hate school or struggle to remain eligible. Really, coming in spring semester he doesn't actually have to remain eligible at all though it would hurt UF.
  4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Might be a silly question but is he still eligible for the NBA draft if he only plays half a season of college ball? I guess it's age-dependent as much as anything
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    He could go overseas and play one year and be NBA eligible.

Not that I am wishing that!

I suspect that he sees how well BD and his staff prepare "bigs" for the NBA and he will want as much as he needs to get there. It might just be one semester. I trust BD to give him the real evaluation after the next season is over.
  6. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +365
    He would not be a good Gator if he did that. I hope that he is and realizes his responsibilities to those that are looking out for his best interests.

The '04's had the world as their oyster and still left school in good stead. Those boys were GREAT Gators. Love them all.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Purely an age issue. He could play video games for a year and be eligible.

Also, its true he wouldn't have to stay academically eligible for any amount of time to be eligible to play next spring. Worst case would mean an APR hit in the future because of this. I seem to remember UF's APR score being high enough that it one kid couldn't mess it up too bad. Just don't want a theme to develop. All Walker has to do, like any player, is leave college on pace to graduate in 4 years. IMO, this is why summer school (in college) is so helpful. They can load up on hours while basketball takes up only a little bit of their time.
  8. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I thought this was wrong when I read this and it turns out that it is. The NBA collective bargaining agreement:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080227065646/http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-X.php#section1

says:

thus it is not purely an age issue but rather an issue of when a player's high school class graduates. Since Walker's class graduated in May 2013, then he can be eligible for the next NBA draft. The importance of this distinction is that if a player changes his graduation class as recruits do every year, it does NOT change their age, but it does change when they are eligible for the NBA draft.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Congrats! You got me. I meant age as in time - not something tied to what the player does in the year after high school - which is what the poster I was replying to was asking. Obviously you never see a kid jump straight from HS to the NBA just because he got held back at some point and is a year older. Thanks for specifying, even though it turned out irrelevant. Next time assess the essence of a post before wasting time looking up the NBA CBA.

Like I said... Walker could play video games for a year and end up eligible.

Tell me, did you check for any grammar and punctuation errors? Gotta be something somewhere...
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    David Jones ‏@DaveJonesUFbeat 1h
    Hearing Chris Walker may be looking at JUCO route instead of #Gators.
  11. alietigator

alietigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    Wow, what a terrible terrible bball news day
  12. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +30
    It is not a matter of got you. It is a matter of getting these rules complex. Oddly the press generally reports this one correctly as far as they go.

I wonder if a guy graduates from high school at age 20, if he would be able to go directly to the NBA draft? I think there was some discussion last year that maybe McGary could have gone directly from high school to the NBA draft. Also maybe Drummond was the same the year before. So maybe you will see that jump from time to time too making it a combination of number of years since your high school class graduated and age.
  13. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    JUCO for a semester to get into good academic standing then transfer to Florida after the fall semester............?
  14. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I guess it depends on the JUCO he picks.
  15. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +30
    That is what I just said on another site. This could be going to a high school completion program to get a high school diploma without online courses so the NCAA will accept them. Or it could be he is going to go to JUCO if he does not get into UF in December.
  16. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    There are insiders who have their thumb on the pulse of this more than I do, but I'm not hearing a lot of optimism for him playing at all this upcoming season.
  17. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    This is largely dissapointing if true. It seemed like he was working hard to get into school and right at the end he backs off.

Why not be a part of big time NCAA basketball and make a run at the final four? 3 online classes seems very doable.

Maybe he can be convinced to finish what he started.
  18. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Here is what I hear from good people who know Chris and the coaches all too well:

A. He's going to get cleared.
    B. He will be here second semester.
    C. He is not thinking of juco nor has he. He's a Gator.
    D. The relationship between Chris and Kasey Hill and the relationship with Billy Donovan have everything to do with why he will be a Gator in December.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    Awesome.
  20. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Fantastic Franz. Thanks for clearing that up.