Chris "Sky" Walker eligible

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 08gatorbait, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    as long as we have him for march I will be OK. watching this guys youtube video's you can tell he is the kind of player that we don't have at UF. seems like he could be sort of a stretch 4. we will need him vs kentucky, i would hope walker could guard cauley-stein leaving pat/will to handle julius randle is who is so physical. there's a reason this guy the highest rated gator on the draft boards, and we havn't even seen him play yet. its a good reason to be excited.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    This was bound to happen. Either it is purported suspension or it is the clearinghouse. Whatever the case, Walker being enrolled and practicing was no guarantee he would play right away.
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Actually I just read from the press conference with Donovan it seems he is making the decision to let him practice for awhile before playing him it seems. So I can't blame the NCAA on that. Wonder what happens if Young and Yueg get in foul trouble though if he's on the bench and eligible..does Donovan put him in or go really small o_O.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Not exactly. He dodged Franz's question regarding the suspension, but he essentially said Walker can practice beginning this Saturday assuming A) UF admissions clears him and B) NCAA clearinghouse qualifies him. He then added that once those two things happen, then they would deal with anything else afterward. His statement that Walker won't play against Memphis pretty clearly suggests that even if A and B happened this week and he could practice Saturday, there may still be something awaiting him. So, yes, there is something related to the NCAA, whether that concerns the clearinghouse or a possible suspension.
  5. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Really. I took it as Donovan basically saying he won't have much practice time so he won't be ready to play basically. I don't read between lines well.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,056
    These things seem to change fast but from what I have read in the past there may be a three game suspension coming from the NCAA due to a visit he took. Now that may already be old info and not applicable today but that was the understanding I had.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Watch the last three minutes of the practice interview on Gatorvision. The questions kind of get at it.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,036
  9. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    K. So back to being mad at the NCAA. Screw them!
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Why? If an illegal visit was made, punishment is in order. I say we make Kansas forfeit tonight's game, win or lose.
  11. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    1. Technically this wouldn't be Kansas's issue either. A poor kid is trying to change his life by finding a school that best suits him to give him a better life. His AAU coach helps the kid out by helping him get a trip to the school to see more of a program to make sure he makes the right decision. Neither Kansas nor Florida should be punished for it. I think there is a huge difference between this and illegal benefits. This is helping a kid given lesser opportunities the same as middle and upper class kids. It's not like Kansas paid the kid or the agent tried to influence the kid towards a particular school
  12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,331
    But if you allow that to happen, it opens the door to abuse, and people would definitely abuse it.
  13. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +864
    Well we didn't have a whole hell of a lot of talent on offense those years outside of Nick and to an extent, Marreese. There's a reason only Nick and Teddy were the only Gators under Billy to have 3 games with 27+ points (until Prather joined them) and Nick was still putting up sick assist #'s at the same time. He carried those teams. Nick had to score, as nobody was capable of generating their own O without his assists (like Prather this year, or CP later in his career). Erv played off the ball for the most part. If Nick was on this team, you'd see a different player
  14. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    Since he's still not on the team etc, shouldn't Billy still not be talking about him? Did he sign a financial aid agreeement or sign a new LOI?
  15. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    True. Sad huh.
  16. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Too bad that AAU coaches can't be penalized by the NCAA. Many of them are on the take.

I suppose the NCAA could ban involvement with AAU coaches that run afoul, with the penalty being immediate inelgibility by the student athlete. That might discourage high schoolers from joining up with them.
  17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I believe the staff can talk about a kid after the LOI is signed. Having an LOI doesn't equal eligibility, though.
  18. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I could handle an NCAA suspension with an explanation a lot better than one of those mysterious suspensions with nary an explanation. I am grateful that I haven't seen the "transfer" word lately, except for "transfers in" as opposed to the former MO.
  19. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    You're correct. There's simply no way he can just show up and start playing in games. He will need a while to understand our offenses/plays, develop chemistry with teammates, learn the defenses and philosophy behind them, etc. The suspension is essentially a non-event, because he'll need a few weeks to adapt to everything in order to meaningfully contribute.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  20. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    After the Memphis game, we have this schedule:

Fresno State
    Savannah State
    Richmond
    South Carolina
    Arkansas
    Georgia
    Auburn

That's not exactly murderer's row. I know Richmond beat us a couple years ago, and I'm not sure what the state of Arkansas' team is (and we certainly saw last year how difficult a game at Fayetteville can be), but that's as reasonable a stretch as any for Walker to sit out some games and then work himself back into shape.

It would be nice to have Walker reasonably well-cemented into the rotation by the January 23 game at Alabama. He won't be at his full powers by then, of course, but hopefully he'll be at a point where he's contributing.