Chris "Sky" Walker eligible

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 08gatorbait, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417 / 46 / -18
    here is why i love college basketball, we lose a few games early but we all know we are getting some studs coming in/back from injury. they should gel well during the SEC schedule and continue to improve into march. really excited about this team. glad chris walker will be available for kentucky because we will need him trying to contain WCS and julius randle.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235 / 78 / -20
    OK guys, don't get overly optimistic. It takes a while to get a group of players in sync, that doesn't just happen. Also, against Kansas, Hill will surely be somewhat weak (takes a while to build the strength back), and I question whether Wilbekin will be a full go. But at least D. Walker should be full go by Kansas. Now C. Walker has a long way to go. He has never even worked with the team. He is way behind.

Like I said, don't get overly excited just because, for almost the first time this year, so "good" news occurs.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +531 / 33 / -5
    I don't care how out of sync he is. He's still talented and healthy and that's a lot more than we've had lately.
  4. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +389 / 21 / -2
    He's a warm body we can throw on the floor, that's a freaking plus right now :D
  5. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329 / 58 / -14
    Yeah, but the sooner they get on the floor together, the sooner that team chemistry starts to build up. We realize this will be a different looking team in February.

It's hard not to get overly-optimistic if you've followed the Gators all year. We've gotten nothing but bad news going back to the summer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329 / 58 / -14
    And he'll naturally fit in more and more with what this team will do as the year progresses.
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 9 / -2
    Yes, we need to get him rolling as soon as possible. Patric tends to pick up an early foul, so it's important that he not have to worry about foul #2. Chris will help that, and BD will try and find a simplified way to help him in team defense until he gets more acclimated to all the technical details. I think you'll see Pat and Will pretty much coaching Chris on the floor, directing him to this or that spot, in the early games. But the near future is very bright indeed.
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511 / 26 / -28
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,203 / 35 / -8
    If there is anything I know it is no one seems to know for certain when Walker will play. Maybe Billy does but to say there have been conflicting reports would be the understatement of the century.
  10. Crono139

Crono139 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +53 / 3 / -0
    The NCAA is starting their Christmas vacation early this year.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,109 / 66 / -15
    The main thing I want from Walker is simply depth at the five. Once Hill and Wilbekin are fully healthy, we will have a long, athletic, talented, and versatile eight-man rotation of Hill, Wilbekin, Frazier, D. Walker, Prather, DFS, Yeguete, and Young. That is a nice group that can go big or small, can press and run, can go man or zone, can score inside out and space the floor, whatever. But it is short on length and numbers at the four and five. Kurtz has played very well at times and I don't expect him to lose all of his minutes just yet, but he can't play the five and if there is foul trouble for either Young or Yeguete, you end up with DFS at the five--not an ideal proposition. If Walker can open with a couple of good shifts per game at the five while he gets into game shape and learns what we are doing, then hopefully as the season wears on he can start increasing that upward toward being a contributor in the rotation rather than a minutes-filler.
  12. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207 / 13 / -4
    Franz hinted at this in an earlier thought of the day that it was possible that Chris Walker could get a 2-3 game suspension once he becomes eligible for his recruiting trip to Kansas
  13. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +531 / 33 / -5
    So if the Kansas game had been a week later, they would have benefited from illegally recruiting a player? Got to love how the NCAA works.
  14. jmoliver

jmoliver Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +77 / 9 / -0
    I wonder how the NCAA violation for Walker even works. If the AAU coach paid for the trip and that is supposed to be the trigger, how is a basically homeless kid supposed to know it is wrong. Why is it even on him? I would assume this would happen a lot but not to a blueblood team.
  15. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +726 / 24 / -13
    I kinda hope he is more than a minutes filler. I don't expect him to be Randle or anything. But he has great blocking instinct and rebounds pretty well. He may struggle scoring some because you aren't getting 20 dunks a night in College ball lol, his post moves I haven't really seen enough of to know how much work they need. But I'd hope by game three or four he is putting in 15-20 minutes for us. I think his length and his leaping ability could make the paint a nightmare for anyone playing us. If he's at the four and Young is in the middle...good luck getting inside :p

I mean I try not to expect a ton from freshman, but he is a top ten recruit. Most of those guys can basically come in and make immediate impacts. Hill has had issues scoring but he still is a great passer. So even if Walker isn't doing well putting points up, I'd hope his blocking and rebounding would still transition into the college game enough to make him a productive player.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,109 / 66 / -15
    I think you are underestimating how much missing ten weeks of practice time and six weeks of games will put you behind as a freshman. He has missed all the install work on our offensive sets, our pick and roll coverages, our zones, our press, our inbounds plays and coverages, our end of game scenarios, et al, not to mention the game and practice conditioning you just can't get on your own. You can't just live on your size and athleticism at this level--that is the single biggest lesson for a big.

Kasey Hill is much farther ahead of Walker in terms of court awareness, skill development, etc., but he still struggled early on after being our starting point guard from the beginning of practice in October. No way you can expect Walker to get going out of the gate.
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511 / 26 / -28

Looking at past NCAA decisions, they don't care if the kid knows or should have known. They end up having to walk the line between protecting the concept of amateurism and penalizing the very same student athletes they're trying to put first.

I can't say I'd trust them to take a case by case look into deciding which kid should have known and which shouldn't. Probably safer if they just decide an illegal benefit is illegal.
  18. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,444 / 31 / -8
    Given the Harris situation, I will be happy just to give the up-close guys a break. Stick him out there and say "see ball, rebound it or block it" and let him grow a little. I hate this idea that he is our next O-A-D and we need to squeeze every drop of production out of him. Let's just enjoy the ride and see how things progress towards March.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Crono139

Crono139 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +53 / 3 / -0
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  20. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +726 / 24 / -13
    So it went from everyone saying he should be available to no chance. I love the NCAA :mad: