Chris Peterson expected to be named Washington's head coach

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Dec 6, 2013.

1. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    I was with you until this paragraph. Sarkisian would be a fool not to have taken that job. UW isn't USC, not even close. USC has way more upside and will out recruit Washington most years. Easy decision. USC most likely has as much if not more talent on the roster than Washington has. It would be a terrible, terrible, decision for Sarkisian not to take the USC job. That was an easy decision for him. Now giving him the USC job, that is shaky.
  2. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    I'm not sure I agree.

Admittedly, I've always thought that the reason the south has so much talent was all those small towns where Friday night football is everything. But the NW has a few big population centers vs a lot rural areas. Oregon seems to have plenty of talent on hand. The PAC-12's lack of success, and I believe the B1G too, is they recruit a type of player to win in their conference, rather than win on the national stage. It's a bit different preparing for Bama than preparing for Northwestern and the like week after week.

The stereotypes have been playing for years. When Nebraska was dominating, it was those big cornfed Nebraska farm-working boys. Or that fact other than corn, the only thing to do in Nebraska was to play football.

When it was Meatchicken, it was the cold that made those big boys dominant. It's hard for me to believe that per capita certain areas have more football-worthy athletes. I can see an early emphasis on the game playing a role.

Unless you're saying that somehow southern boys are somehow genetically superior, which my growing up in the south doesn't exactly validate.
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    You're of base.

NFL players by state:
    Washington 21st
    Oregon 31st
    Idaho 30th

"Perhaps most noteworthy, the states with the most players per capita are: Louisiana (1 NFL player per 73,119 people), South Carolina (1 per 85,655), Mississippi (1 per 92,728), Alabama (1 per 99,578), Florida (1 per 101,082), Georgia (1 per 101,975) and Montana (1 per 109,935)."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...n-california-florida-louisiana-texas-south-ca
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703

Thank you.

There are plenty of great coaches available every year. You just have to sell them the opportunity. Everyone has a price.

Arguing that there were no good coaches out there was a pro Muschamp position. Any kind of reasoning to keep him on I suppose.

Foley misses out on another opportunity again
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    The Northwest is beautiful. If I wasn't a Gator, I'd love to have gone to school at U Dub. Also, Seattle fans are pretty crazy and intense. You could build something great there. I recall some story years ago about Peterson's son having some sort of illness that requires him to receive treatment, which is why he never entertained any other jobs as his son was comfortable at the institution he was receiving care. Maybe he was looking for a place that could provide similar care since it was so integral to his decision making as it was before and Washington fit the bill.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Not sure it's such an obvious pick.

In terms of football tradition/status, sure, USC > UW
    But in terms of overbearing expectations, fans' opinions, and scrutiny, then USC > UW as well.

All depends on your perspective. Me? I'd jump at a move that takes you from the mid-majors to a big-time program. But a slightly lesser big-time program (UW) with much lesser expectations and scrutiny vs. a stronger big-time program (USC) but with intense scrutiny and expectation level...give me the slightly lesser program. I think there are parallels to the "grass is greener on the other side" theory. I have a hard time a 7-5 coach is magically going to start winning national titles just because he coaches for a slightly better program now. UW fans weren't exactly thrilled with the records the last couple of years. If he goes 9-3 every season in L.A., he won't last very long, or if he does, all of his hair will be gray after a few of those seasons.

If that guy was a championship coach, he would've done something noteworthy at UW by now. He made them respectable again -- but that's it. He's going to hope he can recruit himself to a national title like Gene Chizik at Auburn (Newton, Fairley, etc).
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    Petersen may be a step up from Sarkisian.
  8. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Thats just it though. He hadnt built much goodwill at Washington. One injury plagued season he could have been out the door at UW. At USC he probably gets 3 more years and more guaranteed money. If he had anything special going on at UW it may have been a tougher decision.
  9. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    You never know obviously. Is Peterson the next Urban Meyer or Dan Hawkins? Peterson is by far the more exciting hire.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    When Colorado hired Dan Hawkins, the Boise fans said that they chose the wrong coach from there. I think he'll do much better than his Boise HC predecessor did.
  11. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    I stand corrected. That's a perfect statistic to use.