Chris Peterson expected to be named Washington's head coach

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Dec 6, 2013.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,832
    I am going to disagree with this premise. He was Peterson's OC before, whether he was complete or not. If this is a HR hire by UW, and I do, then he is free to hire whomever he wants. Now if Peterson is more preoccupied with non-coaching stuff now and needs a "real" OC then he may be looking for someone else. I see Pease as OC with Peterson as any OC with SOS. They serve a purpose but the HC has some pretty big sway. JMHO
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    The Huskies haven't done much since '93, but I attribute that to a string of bad coaching hires. If you look at their accomplishments prior to 93, the used to be a pretty dominant program:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Huskies_football

I'll I know is Washington State football just got a lot more interesting. Leach vs Peterson in the Apple Cup should be fun.
  3. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    Yes. It's about quality of life and opportunity. There's really no substitute for living around civilized people.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    No kidding. Oregon loses Chip Kelly and UW gains Chris Petersen... ouch. That rivalry may have shifted.
  5. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Maybe my Duke analogy earlier was bad, but the idea that 'a school was great in the past so they're just a coach away from being great again' seems suspicious. How has that worked for schools like BYU, Colorado, or Georgia Tech? And I'm not including schools that maybe be premier jobs but have only caught lightning in a bottle for a year or two since their prime (like ND or UT).

The college football landscape has changed drastically in the BCS era, for which UW and the majority of the schools I just mentioned have been largely irrelevant (minus UT, only 1 national championship appearance by ND). Schools that have gotten behind the curve have a LOT of catching up to do, and if Petersen really goes to UW because he thinks he's got a better chance of winning a national championship, I hope he realizes the work he's got to do to catch-up.
  6. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    They've been a good program that used to be much better. Their facilities are good, they have a good alumni base, nice region, nice stadium and they have a chance to become great again. And let's not forget this. I still thank UW for this win.
  7. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    I think we could have had Petersen if not for one thing... geography.

He seems to be a snowy mountains/trees/salmon type of guy.

This is the guy I would have wanted if we weren't bringing Muschamp back.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    Agreed. More than any other major conference, the Pac-10 is wide open. A team on the bottom one season might contend the next. Arizona struggled this year, but could rise up in the next. Oregon was expected to contend for the NC, and instead probably won't even be in a BCS game. With the right leadership, and with a couple of decent seasons of recruiting, Peterson might very well have the Huskies in the Pac-10 title game, and maybe even more. Then again, he could just as well struggle for a .500 season. It'll be interesting to see how he transitions to a more prominent program.
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Maybe he just likes the Northwest?

Oh and everyone who said no good coaches were available can eat their words. Nearly every coach is available nearly every year. What you were really saying is that you're fine with our current situation and believe that Muschamp is better than nearly every other division 1 (all 120 of them) coaches out there.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Zanso

Zanso Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
  11. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +478
    Its a dang shame we didn't get him.
  12. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    why do you say that it is not like the other guys that have left Boise have been successful. I definitely would not want him as a coach of UF even thought I think he has a chance to make it work at UW
  13. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Napoleon Kaufman was a beast. One of the first CFB players I remember following.
  14. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    I just get don't this line of reasoning. What kind of catching up do they need to do? In terms of what?

And UW should not be compared to Ga Tech, BYU, or Colorado. UW is more along the lines of an Auburn, Tennessee, Penn State. They are a west coast school obviously so they just don't get the same kind of exposure. Even in the 1990s when they were mostly a dominant program, they were not often on TV -- nor were good enough to usually be included in the annual November national championship hunt (though they were close a number of times and even won a split title in 1991).

Here is what UW offers
    • Superb modern facilities
    • Rabid, upper-middle class fan base
    • like UF, is a premier major research institution with serious academics, yet not so serious (such as ND, Duke, Vandy, etc) to disqualify many elite prospects.
    • Flagship university of not just Washington, but the Pacific NW
    • Seattle and its many blue-chip football prospects
    • Brand recognition on the west coast
    • Prestige
    • Excellent football history where one would find himself using the terms "powerhouse," "traditionally strong," "multiple National Championsips," and "many Pac-8/10 championships" to describe the history of the program.
    I see football programs as brands. Though UW has struggled in recent years, the brand remains strong. Fans spend money on UW football. Students go to the games. People care. May not seem like it over on the east coast, but it is true. This is not like Wazzu -- that place is a second rate, lower tier institution as well as football program. Success there would be extremely hard to sustain.

Success at a place like UW where you have the above advantages is not as hard to sustain. They haven't been very good in recent times but I think these recent times are more like an outlier than they are the norm. I think Sarkisian was indeed foolish to leave UW -- why leave what you're building. Success is not guaranteed anywhere, not even USC. You could actually say that USC has underachieved for the better part of 20 years with the exception of the Carroll years. Of course they're an elite program.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +386
    They have four national championships. I suppose you could say that any school. Past success isn't always an indicator of future success, including Florida. FSU has certainly come back from the grave, as well as Bama.

Back before there was Nike-U and the success at Boise St., kids from the three state area went to UW. Today's population of the three state area is a bit more than 12 million, compared to 19 million for Florida. But you guys have to compete with FSU and that program down south.

Oregon's success has come at UW's expense, but now that Peterson is at UW, they should make inroads into Idaho and Oregon. The pull of the PAC-12 is similar for kids on the west coast to the pull the SEC has in the south.

The major population center of Oregon is a two hour drive to Seattle, and it's a seven hour drive from Boise, so kids wanting to stay close to home shouldn't have a problem.

I'm no expert, but it has always seemed to me that to be a successful college coach, you need to recruit well (or assemble a staff that can) and be innovative in either offense of defense (or assemble a staff than can be). That may be enough to take you pretty high. The last hump is in-game adjustments and clock management.
  16. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Missed your post cstgator, you said it better than me.
  17. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +386
    I also the three year record of Willingham at 11-37 really hurt the program.
  18. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    DAMMIT!

I KNEW Petersen was ready to leave Boise State! Now the Huskies have our next great coach!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    You're overstating the amount of talent up here in PNW. UW, like UO, will have to recruit nationally. There aren't as many blue chippers per capita up here.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    They went 11-1 in 2000, and weren't far from playing for a national title. Some feel they should have gone over FSU. I'm not sure if they will be dominant again, but they could be a program on the level of, say, Wisconsin. Especially in the now wide open Pac-12.