Chicago ND Fan / SEC book plan

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by magoo, Apr 20, 2014.

1. samdingo

samdingo Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Did you use the right year? Some of those look weird and aTm played Rice Week 1 last year, they get South Carolina Week 1 this year.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    It has Florida playing Tennessee later than they did this year At Tennessee...has to be right.
  3. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +777
    That's weird...I am absolutely sure the helmet thing I looked at had Texas A&M vs Rice...and it was 2014 because I know the Gators schedule by heart. Wtf? Either way.. works better you have a better game vs South Carolina than Rice
  4. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12

Okay, keep in mind that I'm still in the early stages of this. I'm halfway through a second draft of a pubishing grant proposal and about 10 days removed from the idea and decision to do this. So bear with me if it's still a bit scattershot.

First off, I intend this to be written from the lens of a 'stranger in a strange land,' fully aware going in that I know nothing about what football in the south is, walking in with a sense of curiosity and wonder at this way of life that makes my big-city, Northerner, Fighting Irish fandom pale in comparison, and trying to gain some insight into what it is to breathe college football. I'd imagine I'll get a lot of mileage out of the contrast between who I am and what I represent and what is represented by this culture.

That said, I want my end product to be something that people like yourselves can look at and say that though I can never fully understand it because I don't live it, I did my best to paint an accurate picture and do it some semblance of justice and one that offers readers from other areas around the country to get a scrapbook of stories, historical context (from your eyes rather than a textbook linear narrative which they can read in SEC: 75 Years of Pride and Tradition, or whatever the name of that book was) and background within a road trip narrative that has a sports organizing principle.

Things I want to examine:

What does college football in the South mean to those who live it?
    How these rivalries came to be and why they're so much more than just the 60 minutes on the field once a year.
    What are the unique rites and rituals that each school and each rivalry, and what significance they hold?
    Fundamental questions about the nature of regional and national identity
    The uniquely American instinct to fashion our own heroes and this uniquely American game
    What role does family lineage play in shaping this
    To what extent the identity of the American man living in the South is tied to College Football fan - are they one and the same?
    How teams like TAMU and Missouri fit can/will fit into this story moving forward
    How each school came to be a football school

If you have any other guiding questions/ideas that would work well with this or that touch on some aspect I've missed, I'm all ears. Like I said, work in progress. But that should give you the gist.

Two Questions: 1. does missing some of these teams make this less compelling? I feel bad not hitting some of these schools, but comforted knowing that according to multiple boards, it's more about experiencing the rivalries in action than checking off a list... 2. I'm a little unsure on how to approach schools like Florida State, Clemson and Texas (their historical context is big for 'understanding' ATM football. Thoughts on whether this would be better served as SEC or football in the south (which largely leaves out schools like UK, Vandy, Mizzou Miss St-which I feel worse about missing than the others- and touches on schools like Clemson and FSU)

Here's a second draft of the schedule that I've planned out. It's almost identical to one another poster laid out for me...
    8/28 - aTM @ USC
    8/30 - Clemson @UGA

9/13 UGA @ USC
    9/20 UF @ Bama

10/4 LSU @ Auburn
    10/11 LSU @ UF
    10/18 Tenn @ Ole Miss
    10/25 Bama @ UT
    11/1 WLOCP
    11/8 Bama @ LSU

11/22 Ole Miss @ Arkansas
    11/28 LSU @ aTm
    11/29 Iron Bowl
    • Like Like x 2
  5. 1big_mfer

1big_mfer Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +164
    If you can fit it in to your schedule, spend an extra day in Jax before WLOCP, in Red Stick for Bama and for the Iron Bowl too. You will see real SEC football fans in their natural environments!
  6. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Gotcha. Yeah I think the general week to week plan is to hang out around campus (or the city in the case of Jax) Thursday and Friday, game Saturday, rest/write on Sunday, Write on Monday and Tuesday and use Wednesdays as my travel day.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. samdingo

samdingo Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    As far as FSU and Clemson go (Clemson especially) even though they aren't in the SEC, it is kind of impossible to tell the story of South Carolina in the SEC and not include Clemson in that. They also share some very old, common roots with Auburn and you already know about Clemson-UGA. One of college football's great lost rivalries. I know that has been a common theme lately (WVU-Pitt, OU-Nebraska, BYU-Utah, aTm-Texas (absolute blasphemy, they can both kick sand until they nut up and play), Missouri-Kansas, etc.), but it was one of the first to be a victim of

Similar with FSU. Definite angle to play up with the way the initial expansion went back in the early 90s, Bobby Bowden being a Bear disciple and flirting with Alabama and LSU only to stay in Tallahassee.

The ACC-SEC thing can be a big deal in the south, not so much in Georgia due to UGA owning the state and even Florida as it is such a diverse state with so many transplants or people that just don't care, but in South Carolina? Ho-lee-kow. I know the Iron Bowl is a must attend and realistically it is impossible to do both, but I have to say Clemson-Carolina might be the most underrated, under-appreciated rivalries in the country. It is like a baby Iron Bowl. Almost everyone in this state takes a side. Stakes are never that high, like that matters.

I am sure this process is going to be a long one and it might not be a bad idea to hit the few spots you missed in '15. Louisville-UK in Lexington. You can get to Missouri and Starkville deserves a stop too.

I still think you can market it as an 'SEC' book as opposed to a football in the south book (there's a reason the SEC is the #1 conference brand in college football/sports) and just include other southern schools when it is appropriate and their stories intertwine.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,806
    Much better insight ino what you want to accomplish and much better schedule (looks familiar!).

Missing a ouple of schools doesn't make it any less compelling IMO.

Samdingo gave you nice takes on Clemson and reFSU. A possible additional angle on FSU is Bowden declining an SEC invite because he didn't think he could win a national title playing in the SEC.

I think the Texas relationship with aTm and other Big 12 schools could warrant its own book. Although the apparent power shift in Texas over to aTm since they joined the SEC could be worth some examination... not sure how welll it fits.

Looking at regional and cultural identity, will be interesting to get your take on how well aTm and Mizzou fit in the SEC. You'll get that look with aTm. Not sure if there is a good Mizzou game to insert into the schedule, and replace one of the other games, but could be worth a look.
  9. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    You mentioned the FSU rivaly. It is not SEC, but why do we hate them so much?

There are numerous reasons we hate FSU. They cheat and get away with it. They rape and get away with it. They rewrite history indiscriminately and eventually, everyone believes them so they get away with it. Their Saint Bobby Bowden sold out discipline for wins. Their antics are incredible. Bobby Bowden on discipline of a player who was convicted of felonies and his punishment was running stadium steps: "It is not like he shot the president" and hurting quarterbacks after the play is over:"we teach to hit through the echo of the whistle". For example, before big games, they send over reserves to taunt our star players to try to start a pregame fight. They stomp on our logo and then our top player and their reserves get ejected before the game even starts. There is no end to the stories and scenarios of low class behavior. etc and etc. Don't even get us started on why they are not in the SEC and why the ACC was considered the easy schedule path to a national title. Speaking of national titles, you should be aware of them whining for a title after BC kicked a FG to beat then #1 in ND in 1993. Go ahead and look up how many times FSU has been on probation in all NCAA sports. They used to be the single most penalized school in NCAA history. I do not know if they still are. But, none of those penalties were very severe for equal crimes of other schools who were raked over the coals by the NCAA. They cheat. Do you remember the academic scandal a few years ago? What happened to them for documented cheating? Nothing of consequence. They get away with everything. Go find the Sports Illustrated cover "Tainted Title" with FSU helmet on the front. They and the Canes are the most rogue programs in college football history over the longest period of time.

Don't believe me about re-writing history and all the lies? Ask when their university started. They claim they are older than UF. UF is the original land grant institution in Florida. FSU did not exist until much later and it was a girls school. However, in the 1980's they started claiming their school started when Andrew Jackson tried to convert the Indians near Leon County and are therefore the oldest University in the state. Andrew Jackson did not start FSU and there is zerio lineage or persistent school of any type. It is just a bunch of lies. They claim they invented GatoRade when they did not have any research facility when GatoRade was invented and it was called Seminole Fire even though they had not stolen the Seminole name from UF yet. Seminole was the original name of the UF yearbook. Now, the myth that they invented GatoRade has been repeated by those who do not know any better. They are good at changing history. They claim all kinds of things and if it is on the Internet, or back in the day, a paid advertisement in the paper that looked like a news story, people believe it.

Several on here can give you numerous other examples. UF is the primary institution in the state. It has more degree programs, longer scholastic and research history, has premier colleges that consistently rank among the best. It is an AAU school- the only one in the state. FSU cannot stand it. They are the red-headed step child that manipulates, lies, fusses, and gets away with everything but cannot stand that it is not UF. Back in the early co-ed days, you went to FSU when you flunked out of UF, and that is not hyperbole. They have chosen to lie and rewrite history rather than better themselves. They are now outpaced by schools like UCF and USF within the state. That is right, FSU is not even the 3rd best academic public University in the state of Florida.

And, we have not even started talking about their fan behavior yet.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. g8rvet

g8rvet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    Dang Raid, tell him how you really feel. You forgot to mention that "UF invented lovebugs". I have heard that one so many times up here among the savages. Our team also gave them the Flu in 96 title game.

magoo, sounds interesting and I think it sounds more Faulkner than Grizzard. I think the angle of outsider looking in will be unique. I think your target audience is people outside of the South, but will play well for those of us here that enjoy reading what others think of us. If you have time in your travels, get outside of Gainesville a little to see more Old South. The school loses a lot of that flavor, but the surrounding area is still very much Southern. I think adding in some of the Academic accolades or uniqueness of each school will be a nice contrast to how the Southern schools are perceived around the country (yeah, they speak a little slower and use words like y'all, but their academics or their physics program, etc are top notch nationally). Maybe even highlight the diversity on some of the campuses. Many folks from outside our region see us as Antebellum racists still sitting on the front porch under a moss lined oak drive while our "help" is farming the back 40 (Forrest Gump meets Gone With the Wind). You may even be a little disappointed with what you find. If you are, be honest and write that too. Could be a really good take on fervor and football and culture and how they are all intertwined in the South.
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,806
    Also of note, is a couple of the monikers we refer to them by...

SWAC - School With A Circus. Seriously. What major university has a circus school? That is why you'll sometimes here Tallahassee referred to as clown town.

reFSU - probably a reflection on the low life cheating ACC as much as the low life cheating university in Tallahassee... they orchestrated the single biggest outright rigging of a game result in the history of sports, and the direct reason that instant replay was initiated in 2004 in college football.

Six or seven turn over calls including a couple resulting in TDs were all ruled blatantly incorrectly and all in favor of FSU. There was something on the order of a 30 point swing in the game score due to these bad calls. And then on the Noles winning TD pass there was a blatant hold against one of our DL in pursuit of Rix (the QB) as he rolled out of the pocket. A ref was staring right at it. No call.

The corrupt ACC stood to lose their automatic BCS tie in if their conference champ finished outside the top 20 that year (I think it would have been the third year in a row), so they had their officiating crew ensure the outcome.

Speaking of corrupt... how 'bout ole Bobby Bowden himself? Wrote a letter of commendation to a judge for a sentencing hearing in support of a former player who had shot a woman twice, then raped her, then stole all the family Christmas gifts from under the tree.... same guy that raped another woman while he forced her husband to watch, at gun point. But Bowden wanted to secure the commitment of this scumbag's cousin, so he wrote the letter.
  12. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +777
    Don't forget to tailgate the WLOCP and in the Grove. Those are just incredibly fun. The WLOCP I'd get in the day before and get to the landing. You'll have a blast. Be at frat beach during the day btw. Georgia girls at hot, and have no brains nor standards...easy lay. But I'd recommend to really experience it, be there two or three days early. It really is the best tailgated game in the country.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Okay so it's been a few weeks and I've been at work. This process is so much fun for me, but it's hard to start and keep all the plates spinning at once.

For starters, I have a 5th and final draft of the schedule that allows me to see every SEC team in person (even if for an away game) and hit the majority of rivalry games I want to see. (The two main games I want to see but end up missing are Georgia/SC and Auburn/Georgia...and obviously Nov 29th has every game under the sun but I have to go to the Iron Bowl). No bye weeks; no rest for the wicked I suppose. The schedule is as follows:

8/28 aTm @ SC
    8/30 Clemson @ UGA
    9/6 Ole Miss @ Vandy
    9/13 UK @ UF
    9/20 UF @ Bama
    9/27 Mizzou @ SC
    10/4 LSU @ Auburn
    10/11 LSU @ UF
    10/18 Tenn @ Ole Miss
    10/25 Bama @ Tenn
    11/1 WLOCP
    11/8 Bama @ LSU
    11/15 Miss St @ Bama
    11/22 Ole Miss @ Arky
    11/27 LSU @ aTm
    11/29 Iron Bowl
    12/6 Atlanta

I've finished the 2nd draft of my Pub. Grant Propoal. I'm going to list the team-specific inquiries I have for FLA. Let me know if I'm missing any key questions:

Florida
    • What makes former Heisman Trophy-winning QB and Head Coach Steve Spurrier the gold standard for Florida football and has the fact that he’s now coaching South Carolina tarnished or otherwise affected his legend?
    • I’ve been told that the fact that famous QBs Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerrfel, and Tim Tebow were all preachers sons and that this is truly significant to the Florida football community. What gives this fact such weight? Why is this important?
    • How is Northern-born, slick-talking former Head Coach Urban Meyer perceived within the community? He brought the University two National Championships, but also a long list of players who got into legal trouble while at UF? Is he considered a coaching legend or more of a ‘hired gun?’
    • What role does being an academic institution (supposedly the academic school in the SEC after Vanderbilt) play in the fan culture and identity
    • What are the biggest rivalries for Florida and why? How do rivalries with intrastate non-SEC schools Florida State and Miami stack up with the conference foes and which are most heated?
    • What are the current expectations for the program with current HC Will Muschamp taking Florida to a 4-8 record last year, losing to Georgia Southern, and having the worst season since 1979?
    • How and why did the Georgia rivalry come to be so heated and what’s special about the WLOCP (World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party--the annual Florida/Georgia game held in Jacksonville)?

Finally, my friend in publishing in NY told me I need to develop a 'social media presence' So I'm trying to get twitter up and moving. Once I get over a thousand followers, I'll write a handful of SEC related articles (2013: Year of the QB and 2014: Year of the RB? being the first two) to generate interest and a following, etc.

If you guys are still reading, could you do me a huge favor and throw me a follow on twitter: @jmmarch2
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,806
    Nice job... you've got a full schedule!

On your questions...

1. SOS is our first Heisman winner, first SEC Champion coach, first national champion coach, and he dominated the SEC during the 90s, going on a run of SEC Championships that only the Bear competed with, and perhaps Saban will try to match. There was certainly some frustration with SOS going to another SEC school, but I think most people forgive him that, as Machen didn't want him anyway, and his legacy will almost certainly never be matched.

2. The southeast is the most religious section of the country. There are just more people who care about the role of religion in life. Combine that with the coincidence(?) that our Heismann winners have been sons of preachers and really great people as well as great football players, and it becomes a source of pride - particularly for fans who are religious.

3. Meyer did a lot of positive for the university including the two BCS titles, bringing traditions to the program and reconnecting with former players. He should get credit for all of that. He also is disliked by many fans because of the state he left the program in, barely giving lip service to reconnecting with his family before he was touring the country with ESPN and then taking the Bucknuts job. He also has a relatively distant relationship with integrity (including rumors of him having an affair while coaching here), even though he is a big promoter of integrity and doing things "the right way". His northern background didn't help him connect with the southern fan base, but I think that's a minimal issue compared to the others I mentioned. Everybody loves Shelly, though.

4. Most Gators are rightly proud of the institution's academic reputation, although the increasingly difficult admissions process is denying legacy students who are very strong academically, and based on what I read in here, I think alumni support for the institution is being hurt by this fact. Also, many of the more elite students being accepted are fairly transient (may not stick with the university post grad), don't have a history with the university and have little to no interest in the major sports. We used to have a very strong student presence at games - especially big games, and this seems to have really slacked off over the past several years. Overall, the academic success of the institution has to be considered positive, but the impact on game day atmosphere has not been positive, and the long term impact on UAA contributions may be negative.

5. Biggest rivals are the Mutts and Criminoles. Mutts first for the older Gators. They had our number for quite a long time - really prior to Spurrier, and many of their fans were among the most classless you'll ever run into - similar to southern versions of WVU or Bucknut fans, but all dressed to the nines as they were cussing up a storm, barking and frothing at the mouth like rabid dogs, throwing bottles from a distance, or sucker punching unsuspecting fans. UGA also has a history of two faced activity including claiming a victory over us in a year before we even fielded a football team, leading the charge to have our first SEC Championship retroactively stripped for actions they themselves were fully engaged in, and running roughshod over the SEC by putting their football team in the ROTC during WWII while everyone else had their young men fighting for our country. Since Spurdog tamed them, UGA fans have changed a lot, and I hadn't seen that kind of activity the last few WLOCPs I've been to. For the younger Gators, the Noles are the bigger rival. Big in state rivalry and the program that has played us the most competitively since the 90s. Other rivals include the Vols (especially when they're strong) - our early season meeting used to be a national prime time event, with the winner in the drivers' seat for the East. And we used to have a rivalry with the Canes and the schools still don't like each other.

6. Expectations for the program are pretty divided right now. Many fans feel like Champ just doesn't have it and will never have it. While I really like Champ, I personally would have been fine with him being fired after GA Southern - there was no excuse for that. That said, I think he is a bright young coach who is learning and has potential to be a very successful long term coach for the Gators. I think that is what Foley sees and is trying to support. I think the Roper hire could very well help Champ turn the corner, but for this year I am still concerned about OL and QB play... which have been ongoing problems for the past few years. Against a brutal schedule, we need the OL and QBs to come thru or Champ could be out of a job, whether or not he is the right guy in the big picture.

7. I think I've answered why the rivalry with the Mutts became so heated. I could elaborate further on the nature of UGA fans prior to about the mid 90s, if that is something you feel you need. On a more positive note, the WLOCP is so special because it really stands with the Red River Shootout as unique neutral field, 50/50 rivalry match in a huge party atmosphere. RVs and other tailgaters start showing up a few days before the game. Day of the game the smokers and grills get fired up early, as do the cocktails. A lot of food and drink in a sea of Orange & Blue and Red & Black. At it's best, people are giving each other good natured shots about the game and sharing a lot of great food and drink. You can practically take cooking lessons from your tailgating neighbors if you are so inclined, as well as compete with them in various drinking games and other activities.
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  15. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    Much better schedule. You'll thank us later.

He's Florida's 'favorite son'. He was UF's first H-man trophy winner. He won it--that is, the thing that set him over the top to seal his H-man--by kicking a last minute field goal to win, against Auburn (he was QB, but the distance for the kick was out of range for the normal kicker). When he was given the trophy, he promptly gave it to the school president, and told him "...this belongs to the school...you should take it, so that everyone can enjoy it." Consequently, since then, they give out 2 trophies-one for the player, one for the school--but he was the first/only H-man winner to do that--the stuff that legends are made off...

Although his NFL career wasn't much to write home about, he went on to coach the Tampa Bay Bandits--and his teams quickly became known for their offensive flair. Then he went on to win at Duke. In Football.

He came back to UF, when UF was kind of mired in mediocrity--and perhaps, more compellingly, as Miami and FSU were taking off like rockets (which made the 'mediocrity' sting that much more)--and he made an immediate impact. After 3 years of "Emmitt [Smith] Left, Emmitt right, Emmitt up the middle...", Spurrier simply blew us away. Please don't take that as a knock on Emmitt; we love him dearly--but compared to the Fun & Gun.... let's just say that the transition was absolutely amazing....

The very first offensive play he called--against Oklahoma State--Gators were pinned back within the 5 yard line. The entire stadium is expecting a conservative run call, to buy some breathing room, to ease into the rhythm of the game.... he calls a 50 yard bomb down the right sideline, which was promptly executed to perfection... the crowd went nuts, and remained high on Steve pretty much for the next 12 years...

Winning at the Swamp became a given, and the only question was "how badly were we going to beat the other team?"

Another game that first year sticks out--Auburn. The year before, the Gators lost a heart breaker to AU, 10-7, with AU scoring a TD in the last minute of a tough, hard fought defensive battle (which btw, eliminated us from SEC contention that year). After the game, AU fans rained down beer bottles (glass) on our players....it was classless...infuriating....even dangerous. Anyway, Spurrier exacted the sweetest revenge the following year: he whooped their rear ends 45-3 at the Swamp (which btw, he dubbed it as such). The crowd was simply electrified the entire game...

Those were great times.

But to answer your question more succinctly:

Florida's favorite son--who won the H-man, and did it with style--returns home, leads his alma mater to unbelievable heights, including first ever [official] SEC title, 6 total SEC titles, and of course, our first Natty--he brought UF to the pinnacle of the sport, in the same year as we got our next H-man trophy (Danny), while running the scoreboard up like a pin ball machine...and worth noting, getting to do it in an epic beat down against our arch rival, FSU, to the tune of 52-20--it was just surreal...again, the stuff of legends...

(Now, just for *kicks* and giggles--contrast the above, with... [in]Famous Jameis, aka, 'Rapeis', and the nolies this year, or FSU's "Tainted Title" of '93---not all national championship seasons are created equal).

As for Urby--we knew he was a mercenary when we hired him. Strictly business. No love lost after he departed--and I don't mean that with the negative connotation with which it is often used--I mean it literally. There just wasn't an emotional connection there. (perhaps we were a bit guarded, after Spurrier broke our hearts when he left us...). We loved Leak, and Percy, and of course Tebow, and those guys--but with Meyer, it was pretty much strictly business. (I think him flying up to your alma mater, after he pretty much had a deal with UF, kinda' tipped us off--we out bid Notre Dame, plain and simple; otherwise, he was ND bound).

Business is business.

Personally, I wish him well at OSU--many of us do; though some around here, do not.

C'est la vie.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  16. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +201
    Yes, the biggest thing you've done is reworked that schedule into something worth writing about. Your original one was horrible. You will seriously thank everyone later for this change alone. Good luck moving forward.
  17. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    That is like going to Churchill Downs for the Louisville Stakes race
  18. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Hey Gators,

I wanted to stop in and post an update, let you know where things are at. I ended up going to 18 games this year, 15 SEC games, Georgia-Clemson and the Sugar Bowl and National Championship games (the Championship because closure). I'm holed up on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi writing now and I'm putting together my second draft of the Kentucky-Florida game. I've spoken in detail with two members of this site who have been very helpful in allowing me some insight into Florida football culture and tradition. Because of all the info I've gathered about Florida, its one of the longer chapters and harder to sift through and write than most. So thank you all for your feedback. Sorry your season turned out the way it did. I'm happy the Irish were able to hang on to Te'von Coney, I think he's gonna be a good one.

Here are the games I attended:
    8/28 aTm @ USC
    8/30 Clemson @ Georgia
    9/6 Ole Miss @ Vandy
    9/13 Kentucky @ Florida
    9/20 Florida @ Bama
    9/27 Mizzou @ USC
    10/4 LSU @ Auburn
    10/11 Auburn @ Miss St
    10/18 Tenn @ Ole Miss
    10/25 Bama @ Tenn
    11/1 Auburn @ Ole Miss (I was in Savannah Thursday before all set for WLOCP and decided to see 3 vs 4--at the time--last minute instead)
    11/8 Bama @ LSU
    11/15 Auburn @ Georgia
    11/22 Ole Miss @ Arky
    11/27 LSU @ aTm
    11/29 Iron Bowl
    12/6 SEC Championship
    1/1 Sugar Bowl
    1/12 National Championship
    • Like Like x 1
  19. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Oh and one footnote you'll probably all like to hear. Bigger than anything book-related for me out of this season is the decision that I never want to live in Chicago again. For so many reasons. I don't know where I'll end up teaching and living next year (maybe the South, maybe out west in California or Oregon), but the trip opened my eyes to so much more of what the country has to offer and I'm going to let that move me wherever it will.

Jim
    • Like Like x 5
  20. oldgatorman

oldgatorman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +717
    I feel qualified to answer one of your questions. There is no respect for FSU. None at all. I am not suggesting that is right or wrong, but it is the way it is. If anyone disagrees I am sure they will post.
    • Agree Agree x 1