Chicago ND Fan / SEC book plan

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by magoo, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Seriously, that list of games is a freaking joke. No offense but maybe the OP should leave the books about the SEC to people who have a clue. Why would someone write a book about the culture surrounding SEC beatdowns of average non-BCS opponents? Do you think anyone will have interest in that? The SEC is about the rivalry games within the conference that have been around for decades and the author is ignoring every significant rivalry except Bama-Auburn. Go big or go home!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I do not mean to be insulting, especially because such a book is a great idea. But, you have already discovered that your insights about UF are way off. Spurrier, as others have said, is the Gold standard...not Urban. He is seen as a talented hired gun. Tebow is seen as the second coming of Danny. In the South, it matters that SOS, Danny, and TT were all sons of preachers.

If you take the position that "this is the schedule that works for me," instead of getting into the schedule that represents the rivalries, then you will have missed the boat so badly that you will be more clueless than when you started. You may have a book, but it will suck because unimportant games are just that..without depth of meaning.
    The thing that [in addition to football as (and related to) religion] is most important about Southern football is the nature of the tribalism. It is an object lesson in perspective. Rivals are bad and home schools are good. The bias of allegiance overwhelms rationality and reinforces the emotions of victory and loss. True everywhere, but the stakes are higher in the places where every victory is proof of being valiant in the face of the loss of the war of northern aggression. We love beating Northern teams almost as much as our immediate rivals.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,213
    I think we are being played. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    I did consider that as there was a similar post last year or the year before (possibly both) with regard to seeing FLORIDA play the less face-painted/big-shoed of our two OOC November opponents. But the mentality of the OP is completely believable even if the author is just having some fun. A similar post has been put on Texas A&M board and South Carolina's board. This is kind of like somebody walking off a subway platform while distracted by their phone. You wouldn't think it could possibly happen unless you've seen video of it. If that can happen, then the OP is completely believable. Prank or not, we're just trying to keep the author from walking off the platform here.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,816
    He has laid this out by design (purportedly), so this guy is either intentionally walking off the platform... or trying to pull some kind of silly gag. Maybe it's his version of Manti Teo getting played by a guy.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    What would your book as an outsider offer the world that Clay Travis (an insider) did not in "Dixieland Delight"? Premise seems to the same.

Whether you like Travis or not--the book was not too bad of a read.
  7. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    Okay. I'll bite. Football in the SEC books have been done. Lots of them. In the last 6-8 years, there are probably 10 such books. Some are quite good. Some are pretty much pandering. What are YOU looking for? Are you going for William Faulkner or Lewis Grizzard? Field of Dreams or Bull Durham? Seriously, what is your angle? Is it a food book, or a fanatacism book, or a southern culture book, or a travel book, or an expose, or are you pandering to each school to sell as many copies as possible (each stadium is the greatest, each fanbase is rabid, blah blah blah). Giving us a little hint of how you see this thing laying out may help. Your itinerary will be great for some of those ideas and worthless for others. Help us help you.

If you are just trolling, what a colossal waste of energy from you, it took each of us 30 seconds of thought and that or less in typing.

Spurrier IS and was Florida Football, even with those ridiculous colors he now wears. Meyer was the face for a short while, but his carpetbagger roots did not sit well with lots of folks. He always felt smarmy to me. Muschamp is a son of the SEC and we all rooted for him to do well, but UF football is big business and results are expected.

I'll be interested to see your reply. Oh yeah, Chicago is a fun city, the Cubs rock and the cab drivers are frustrating as heck. While not a friendly city, I did enjoy my trip.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,816
    I think an outsider's perspective could be interesting, if he were actually trying to get that perspective.

But this approach is akin to an SEC fan doing a book on Big Ten football by going to see Indiana vs Indiana State, Nebraska vs McNeese State, Mich State vs Eastern Michigan, Purdue vs Indiana, Minnesota vs Illinois, etc., and including Michigan - Ohio State at the end, as the one real game.

What is the point in doing that?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    I don't know Oak, that Tennessee Utah State game is sure to be epic. I'll admit, I didn't consider the we're being trolled angle. This book already sucks in my mind and it's not even written yet. If legit, it seems more of an attempt to see the different venues than to experience the game day environments. Maybe the OP should make it a picture book with pages that can be colored in and he might sell a copy or two to Auburn and Miss State fans.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,816
    I like the coloring book angle. After the SEC book, he could even do a special Big Top edition for reFSU fans. :D

Noles Opening Day!
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    You chose you screen name well because what you posted has little context as to the richness and tradition of Gator football. I'm one of the oldest Gator members here with over 50 years of fandom. Plus my dad started and went both ways at tackle as well as place kicking for us in the 30's. I been through the worst times and enjoyed the best times
    with our team. I played basketball at UF enjoying pick up games against the o'l ball coach. Steve was all state in roundball in Tennesee. In addition, I'm an author. so if you wish to know more about just ask.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Wow, really heavy responses. But again, this is what I need to hear. One of the things laid out for me again and again on the South Carolina board is that I might think I know about football as a way of life in the south, but that I have absolutely no clue.

So thank you for letting me know that I'd be missing the boat by checking off each school rather than catching the rivalries in action.

Give me a couple days to take a second look at my schedule, make some changes, come back with a revamped itinerary. You guys can let me know what you think?

I'm aware that the best thing I have going for me right now is that I'm embracing my own ignorance and willing to change my ideas and listen to suggestions.

There's no way I can convince anyone I'm not trolling, so I won't try. I am sincere here in my intent and hope you'll keep giving me your candid feedback.

Every board has brought up the Dixieland Delight book, and I'm aware of it and know the abstract, but I need to read it in the next week or two.

Thanks and Be Well

Jim
    • Like Like x 1
  13. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,816
    Fair enough.

While you're at it, as g8rvet mentioned above, you may want to figure out what angles/themes you're trying to go for in your book and then refine your itinerary from there.

BBQ, Bourbon and Balling... A Golden Domer's peak into the Looking Glass of SEC Football and Life in the South.

There's a book title for you, set with some themes to dive into and flesh out. I'm happy with a small residual. ;)
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  14. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    How about "A Carpetbagger's Guide to SEC Football". And you are the best kind of yankee, brother. You are going back home!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    Jim, hopefully we did not offend you with any of our responses, but it looks like you got the general idea. The helmet schedule is a nice way to pick out your favorite matchups on the season:

http://cdn.fbschedules.com/helmets/2014-sec-helmet-schedule.pdf

You can't miss the Iron Bowl (I've never been, but that's at the top of my bucket list for non-GATOR games)
    Alabama @ LSU is a no-brainer for October 8th (again, probably the best on-paper matchup in the SEC going into the Fall)...you are going to go to this game, and you are going to say "I can't believe I was seriously considering not going to a game this week"
    I'm biased, but I would put the WLOCP near the top of the list as well (rumor has it that Georgia has not won a national championship since 1980...yes, that 1980).

Best venues besides the SWAMP :), LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, I also like Texas A&M and then South Carolina after that (nothing special about Williams-Brice, but the Gamecocks have great fans)
    Unless you go to the Egg Bowl it probably doesn't matter who you are going to see Ole Miss play, but the Grove is a cool site to see.

Look for little nuances, too. Can you hit a Thursday night game and then a Saturday game (LSU @ TAMU on 11/27, Iron Bowl on 11/29)? Will the Egg Bowl be scheduled far enough apart from the Iron Bowl (Oxford is only about 3 hours from Tuscaloosa)?

Keep in mind that some of these game times won't be scheduled until as late as the week before; try to be flexible, and if there are any ties you are usually better off choosing the night game (or see if Gameday is going to be there).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    To be fair since the Big Ten hasn't produced a National Champion since way back when Tressel's team stole one on a disputed penalty against the Canes, who else can he write about? Certainly not about Northern teams!
  17. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    Jim, in spite of my comments, I wish you well. But from what you've said and the schedule you laid out, it's obvious that you hadn't really thought this one out. I'm glad you're considering a revamp of that schedule. I've been to most of the other SEC stadiums, and some are great, some not so much. The opponent plays a huge role. Vandy sucked and they were playing us. Can't imagine what it's like against a lesser opponent. I can tell you that there is no doubt you'll never get a true game day experience at UF with that game currently on your itinerary. That game, if it's sold out, will have a ton of no shows. Don't buy your ticket in advance as you'll no doubt pick one up on the cheap 30 min before game time. Things to consider....

Again if this is simply about going to the various venues... march on. You can say you were there but doubt anyone will want to read about it.

Pick the rivalry games if possible. Miss/Miss St... etc.

Try to go to night games if possible.... especially at LSU

Try to get there on a Thursday night, and start hanging out at the local bars, sights. There's where your story will truly begin.

Tailgate with the fans... both sides

Wear your ND stuff. It'll start conversations... they'll know you're not the enemy but they'll also probably give you a hard time in a different way.

Take tons of pics. They'll enhance the story and you'll sell more copies in Alabama.

Ask LSU fans who is cooking corndogs... they love it.

Try to set up camp outside the stadiums where the action is game day.... example at UF, you'll want to be on the North side to see the Gator Walk before the game. Learn each schools traditions to best make this happen.

Good luck bud, but again it's less important to make every stadium as it is to make the games you go to actually count. You'll thank us later for that. You have some real turds on that current schedule.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    It was said that before Spurrier Florida had the arrogance of Notre Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest. The SEC was formed in 1933, and until Spurrier got here we never won a legitimate SEC championship. We won in '84 and '85, but it was stripped from us by the good ol' boy network of the SEC. If you write about the SEC, you can't ignore that. For example, Bama holds every play but never gets called for it. Our championship was vacated in '90, Spurrier's first year, because we were on probation. He went out the next year and promptly won it outright.

Our nemesis all the years we came close to winning the SEC was Georgia. They dominated us from the '60s through the '80s. It took Spurrier to turn that around. He went 11-1 against them while he was here.

I agree with the other posters. You do yourself a disservice by not making a point to attend the Florida/Georgia and Alabama/Auburn games as a minimum.
  19. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Dude that is one of the worst schedules I've ever seen. Is that a joke? Let me help you make a schedule...seriously. This list is down right pathetic and you won't get even a remote clue what the SEC is like.

Week 1 - Aggies vs Rice - Aggies couldn't find another place. Not many big home games and other rivalries are bigger here
    week 2 - Ole Miss at Vandy - It's a waste week, and these two have had good games lately and gives you your vandy game.
    Week 3 - South Carolina vs Georgia - Chance to get USCe, and great game to attend for noise and atmosphere
    Week 4 - Missouri vs Indiana - Only one really good game, but you'll see Bama and UF enough. Go see Missouri at home this week
    Week 5 - Tennessee at Georgia - Best game to see at UGA all year so perfect time to go there and see them.
    Week 6 - Florida at Tennessee - Tennessee will think they can finally beat us. Will be nuts.
    Week k 7 - LSU at Florida - You'll hear how loud UF is
    Week 8 - Ole Miss vs Tennessee - Not a big game, but you need to see the Groove
    Week 9 - Auburn vs South Carolina - Should be a highly ranked game at Auburn
    week 10 - The World's largest outdoor cocktail party
    Week 11 - LSU vs Bama - Huge game...at LSU...DO IT!
    Week 12 - Arkansas vs LSU - Good rivalry game to go see at Arkansas
    Week 13 - Miss State vs Vandy - Crappy but you get to see the other Miss team at least
    Week 14 - Iron Bowl - Hands down.

I believe I've gotten you to every stadium but Kentucky's...so it's not really a big miss it's easily the worst besides VAndy in terms of atmospheres. Every week couldn't be a marque matchup if you want to see all of the different arenas...this is as good as I could do for getting you to most of the stadiums and keeping the marque games like the Iron bowl, Cocktail, Tenn-Florida, LSU Bama, etc.
    IF the possibility is there week 14...the IRon bowl if it's at night you should go to LSU vs Arkansas or Ole Miss vs Miss State if one of them are early. Would be a great day for sure.
  20. samdingo

samdingo Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    FSU fan here but I lurk often and post very infrequently (the natives probably prefer it that way). Raised in Florida and went to FSU but I live outside Columbia now and I think the aTm-Carolina game would be an awesome choice for week 1. It is the debut event for the much anticipated SEC Network and, believe it or not, a major source of pride for a lot of Gamecock fans, probably SEC fans too. Hell, those people have so many psychological issues going back to their ACC days (yeah, they were in the ACC in case you didn't know), you could almost write a book about that.

Anyway, Williams-Brice is an okay stop. It's basically the first major game of the season (Thursday night). First game on the SEC Network. Carolina has a strong team coming back. aTm's first game post-JFF. Spurrier, as many others have said, is SEC royalty. 2001 is a pretty cool entrance. Storylines galore.

Week 1 you also gotta go to Athens for Clemson-UGA. Bitter, nasty rivalry going back a long way. You'll already be in the area and since it is on Saturday you can do both games. Not an SEC rivalry per se, but it is a southern rivalry and it is a good one and outside of Auburn-UGA its their biggest home game this season.

Not an SEC fan by blood per se, but I still consider myself a distant relative. I wasn't gonna do this, but I'll take a crack at what your itinerary should be... (I think you mentioned trying to go to every stadium/campus but I think you'll be doing yourself and your book a disservice if you skip Florida-Alabama to go to Mississippi State-LSU or Indiana-Missouri)

Thursday 8/28... aTm vs. South Carolina (season opener, SEC Network debut)
    Saturday 8/30... Clemson vs. UGA (bitter old rivalry, rarity as it isn't played often so you should go)
    Saturday 9/6... Ole Miss vs. Vandy (nothing really going on though Nashville is fun)
    Saturday 9/13... UGA vs. South Carolina (probably Carolina's biggest home game)
    Saturday 9/20... Florida vs. Alabama (two SEC heavyweights, non-annual matchup)
    Saturday 9/27... aTm vs. Arkansas (Dallas) (nice neutral site game, two large, passionate fan bases)
    Saturday 10/4... Florida vs. Tennessee (the rivalry in the SEC in the 90s, still will feel like it @Neyland)
    Saturday 10/11... LSU vs. Florida (gotta make it to Gainesville some time, this game is perfect)
    Saturday 10/18... Notre Dame vs. Florida State (go watch some real football)... or Tennessee vs. Ole Miss ;)
    Saturday 10/25... South Carolina vs. Auburn (possible SECCG preview)
    Saturday 11/1... Florida vs. Georgia (WLOCP) (no explanation needed)
    Saturday 11/8... Alabama vs. LSU (the rivarly in the SEC America now. Like the FSU-Miami of its day)
    Saturday 11/15... Auburn vs. Georgia (longest running rivalry in the deep south, Miracle part I rematch)
    Saturday 11/23... Ole Miss vs. Arkansas (boring weekend, go hit on Bielema's wife)
    Friday 11/27... LSU vs. aTm (gets you to semi-new Kyle Field and it's a new game the SEC is trying to push)
    Saturday 11/28... Auburn vs. Alabama (no explanation needed)
    Saturday 12/6... SEC Championship

Looks like that will get you to Columbia (the real one), Athens, Nashville, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Gainesville, Auburn, WLOCP, Baton Rouge, Fayetteville, Oxford and College Station. Unless you are writing about basketball no need to go to Lexington. Still having trouble believing Missouri in the SEC. I just can't justify going there at the expense of any other games. Starkville is... well, Starkville. Same deal as Missouri. That gets you in everywhere else plus a couple of nice neutral site games. These guys know what they're talking about. I can't imagine their schedules being too much different...

and I just saw you were planning on taking November 8th off? Dude, I just got trolled. Damn it.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014