Chicago ND Fan / SEC book plan

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by magoo, Apr 20, 2014.

1. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Hey All,

I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan and a 28 y/o teacher from Chicago (hope you don't hold that against me). I'm going to take next year off teaching and tour the SEC with the intention of writing a book about fan culture and identity and what it's like being a college football fan in the SEC.

I'm hoping to get to know some of you and get to know what makes you tick, what you love, what frustrates you, etc about Florida football. The plan is to be down there for the Eastern Kentucky game November 15th (I know, I picked a real doozy lol), get there a couple days early, check out campus, meet fans, check the tailgate and game.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. I hope you don't find these questions in bad taste and I assure you I have no intent on trolling.

For starters: What has it been like having to replace a face-of-the-program QB in Tebow and HC in Urban? What did those guys mean to the overall state of Florida football (aside from the obvious and huge 2 NC and a Heisman) in terms of where you're headed and what your annual expectations are now? What pressure did that put on Muschamp and what's the general vibe on his tenure/hot seat after last year? Where is the QB situation at? and what needs to happen for you to get back to the top of the mountain? Oh, and what's the feel for the FSU rivalry? Is it a 'we respect you but want to beat the piss out of you' feel or do you just hate the Seminoles?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the board and feel free to ask any questions you have about ND football (if you have any. I think I'm a pretty level-headed fan and I get that I'm part of a largely elitist fan base that hasn't deserved national attention for the better part of 20 years since Holtz left)

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gtrfn4evr

Gtrfn4evr Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    Chuckle chuckle...you were doing okay until the "Chicago Notre Dame" part...;):D
  3. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,004
    What was it like replacing Tebow and Meyer? Well, we went 4-8 last year....how do you think it's going? :mad:

Seriously, if you're going to write a book about the SEC, the SEC is more about tradition. The rivalries and the "hatred" between fan bases, etc. If you want to talk about the last 3-4 years since Tebow and Meyer left, well those haven't been the best of years for UF fans (sans the 11 win season)....
  4. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    "Oh, and what's the feel for the FSU rivalry? Is it a 'we respect you but want to beat the piss out of you' feel or do you just hate the Seminoles?"

Hahahaha... respect? f$u?

What the hell is there to respect about that place?
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    The standards that Florida strives to achieve were those set by Spurrier. Keep in mind that he is our first Heisman winner and, during his time at Florida, the winningest coach (by SEC game winning percentage) in SEC history. In the minds of most Florida fans, Spurrier remains our biggest football hero.

Spurrier posted 6 SEC championships in 12 seasons and would have had another but for sanctions.
    Florida never won fewer than 9 games under Spurrier, winning 10 or more games in 9 of 12 seasons, including 6 seasons in a row. Spurrier never lost more than 2 SEC games in a season and he only lost 2 conference games in 3 different seasons.
    • Winner Winner x 5
  6. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    I'll add that by choosing to come for an East Carolina game, you won't be treated to the full pre-game, game and fan experience.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    My advise is that if you want to write a book about football fan culture and identity that possesses any merit, you leave fan message board content to a bare minimum or leave it out.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    I went to UF in early eighties when it had a rabid, dedicated football fan base and an almost Chicago Cub like (hope you appreciate the reference) culture of underachievement. I can't speak for everyone but IMO UF has been outside the southern culture of the SEC - that has fueled quite a bit of resentment toward and from our SEC brethren. FSU is just an irritating, second tier school that joined the ACC because they didn't think they could play with the big boys. They have had some success but carry a gigantic chip on their shoulders.

We are viewed as snobbish and different. Every Florida alum I've met - like me - takes great pride in our academic rep first. I embraced that as a student and to some degree - still do as we are academically ahead of everyone - except Vandy - and in most areas ahead of the rest of the league athletically also. As another poster already mentioned, we got our moxie during the Spurrier years and I've felt like we've gone from underachievers to a culture where we expect to win.

Speaking of moxie, interesting way to start your research.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    No disrespect intended OP, but are you seriously planning to write a book about SEC culture by gaining fan and gameday experiences from games like UF/EKU? Are you planning to attend the always heated Bama/FAU game? That will be tough because it's the same weekend as the LSU/Sam Houston State gem. Choices, choices.....All kidding aside, the only true way you'll get to experience the true passion and furvor of SEC football is to drop serious coin and attend games like Florida/Georgia, Bama/Auburn, LSU/Bama, Tenn/Florida.... you get the point. The reason for this is honestly you won't even get a taste of SEC football at a game like UF/EKU. The atmosphere isn't the same. There will be such a huge drop off in the electricity leading up to and during the game that you won't possibly have the experiences to properly write about this topic. Your book will most likely suck if you're writing about these turds vs. directional schools.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    It's Eastern Kentucky.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    I'll second the comments made by most on here: post-Spurrier, Florida fans tend to expect winning seasons in the 9-3 variety (or better). Spurrier did it, so did Meyer.

Zook did not and was canned, Muschamp got a pass last season (which I personally don't agree with), but I doubt it lasts long. Most of the fanbase is restless and our AD said he's on the hotseat. Bottom line: one *should* win at Florida with our resources, fanbase, national brand, and our 30+ year tradition of winning (Florida did well before Spurrier too). Losing shouldn't be tolerated for long.

f$u?? No one respects them. Nuff said.

My sister graduated ND and I've been to multiple games up there. The campus is admittedly beautiful and tailgating is good--better in some ways than UF--but the two experiences are different. ND tailgating is more condensed (Florida's is over a huge radius) and...idk, a little less rowdy? Don't get me wrong, I know ND fans like to drink, but SEC games are a different animal entirely. The fanbase goes here to get trashed and, depending on the game, there's little love lost between the schools.

One thing we do have in common though: you either love us or hate us, there's very little middle ground when discussing UF or ND. Indy fans get as fired up to beat you as does Michigan. Same as both Vandy fans and LSU ones circle Florida as a team they wish they'd beat. Neither team can afford to take a game off vs anyone they play.
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +660
    You are in luck, we actually play South Carolina that weekend. Missouri @ Tennessee and Ole Miss @ Arkansas would likely have better environments if you actually picked the 22nd. Pretty sure you won't find a better matchup than LSU @ FLORIDA on October 11th. What is your itinerary?

Not speaking for everybody, but I will say that we don't hate them, we laugh at them. After all, they're all a bunch of clowns.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +660
    And you picked Tennessee @ South Carolina over the WLOCP on November 1st? Who made your itinerary? On November 8th you could catch Presbyterian at Ole Miss. On November 29th you could catch Arkansas @ Missouri.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  14. magoo

magoo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I totally get that I'm dropping the ball by not coming for a big game. It's the nature of fitting games at each campus.
    The roadmap as it stands now is:

8/30 @ Kentucky (UT-Martin)
    8/31 @ Tennessee (Utah State)
    9/6 @ Vandy (Ole Miss @ LG Field)
    9/13 @ Mizzou (UCF)
    9/20 @ Arkansas (NIU)
    9/27 @ Ole Miss (Memphis)
    10/4 @ Miss St (TAMU)
    10/11 @ TAMU (Ole Miss)
    10/18 @ LSU (Kentucky)
    10/25 @ Auburn (South Carolina)
    11/1 @ South Carolina (Tenn)
    11/8 OPEN (Lay low with a friend in Athens, get some writing done, decompress, etc.)
    11/15 @ Georgia (Auburn)
    11/22 @ Florida (EKU)
    11/29 @ Alabama (Iron Bowl)
    12/6 @ Atlanta (SEC Champ)

For some reason Spurrier didn't even occur to me. I knew he won a Heisman (was it 66?) and was your Coach when I was growing up. Can someone give me the cliff notes on him leaving, how he ended up at South Carolina? I'm sure I could (and will) google this stuff, but for me the story starts by seeing it through the lens of the die-hards, who are most often found on a message board in the off-season (I check ND recruiting and spring practice stuff at least 3-4 times/week).

I'm undecided on what role message boards will play in the actual book, but I think it's an interesting starting point. Why do you think message boards are meritless?
  15. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    I realize finances play a huge part in this endeavor, but you are doing your premise a bit of a disservice by checking out 6 nonconference matchups against largely overmatched teams.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great games in there (the Iron Bowl, georgia-Auburn, Auburn-South Carolina, even South Carolina vs Tennessee) that will capture heated games between rivals--but most of the rest aren't going to be as representative of what you're trying to research.

By way of example: I went to a ND-BYU game in the Ty era...vastly different from the atmosphere than the USC "Bush push" game. I know you get that and all...just going to make the observation that I'd tinker with the schedule a bit more so you can get the best experience possible.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +660
    This is all wrong. You should be starting this off strong with Texas A&M @ South Carolina on 8/28 and then heading right over to Athens for the Clemson game two days later. I would recommend doubling up at the hotspots and not worrying about trying to catch a game at Missouri, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State. They don't have any can't miss games. You are going to learn much more about the SEC by going to:

9/13 Georgia @ South Carolina
    10/11 LSU @ FLORIDA
    11/1 WLOCP
    11/8 Alabama @ LSU

than you will by going to:

9/13 UCF @ Missouri
    10/11 Ole Miss @ Texas A&M
    11/1 Tennessee @ South Carolina
    11/8 OPEN? (seriously? One of the best matchups in the SEC this season and you're taking this weekend off)

And with the exception of the Vandy game on 9/6 (just not a lot to pick from here), you're off to a rough start the first 6 or 7 weeks of the season.

If your goal is to efficiently travel to each of the SEC campuses, then you've got a solid plan. But if you have any interest in taking in the SEC football atmosphere, you are approaching this all wrong.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 6
  17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,398
    Magoo - you should listen to WES and ev12 about the schedule. Two thirds of those games are a waste of a trip, both from perspective of your stated mission... and just taking in some worthwhile football.

You've only got two real SEC rivalry games for the whole season - the Iron Bowl and UGA - Auburn. And you're wasting trips to electric venues by going to crap games.

Here's your schedule, starting the way WES recommended:
    8/28 aTm @ South Carolina
    8/30 Clemson @ UGA
    9/06 Open ... or Ole Miss @ Vandy if you feel like you have to do something
    9/13 UGA @ South Carolina
    9/20 UF @ Bama
    9/27 Arky vs aTm @ Jerry World
    10/04 LSU @ Auburn
    10/11 LSU @ Florida
    10/18 Tennessee @ Ole Miss
    10/25 Bama @ Tennessee
    11/01 WLOCP
    11/08 Bama @ LSU
    11/15 Auburn @ UGA
    11/22 Ole Miss @ Arky
    11/27 LSU @ aTm
    11/29 Iron Bowl

If you can't afford to do all these, then just cut back and don't go to games every weekend... but don't fill in with meaningless games against directional schools. That won't help your book at all.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +611
    Simple. Not everyone agrees with me when I'm quite blatantly right all the time.

Merit that!

;)
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,089

Steve Spurrier is still as much of, if not more the "Face of Florida" than Urban Meyer.

Replacing Tebow was, as expected, challenging as was replacing Meyer. I think you'll find attitudes mixed on him. For me, it is what it is. Liked the championships, but the ending left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Muschamp situation very similar to Zook (no win, perhaps).

Hate F$U (and UGA) with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. Root against them in every endeavor. Would even root for ND against either.
  20. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    With that list of games it will be another book about the South without a clue about us.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3