Charlie Strong needs to make a move after this season....

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 18, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    I think Louisville has peaked. He cant get elite defensive talent there. He is an elite defensive coach.
    My guess is he makes a big jump this offseason.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,782
    IDK. Lousville is moving to the ACC. Strong does well recuiting in Florida. I think he is fine if he likes it there.
  3. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Agree with Oak. He's moving to the ACC and he'll compete there, that Papa Johns dude will keep tossing him money and building up the facilities. Now if he continues to have success he could jump to a UF, USC, Texas etc. But until then he should stay put instead of going to a somewhat bigger school where he'll have more pressure and the same amount of money.
  4. medigator

medigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    Charlie is loyal to a fault ! He is going nowhere soon . He's getting paid more than Muschamp and they gave him his big break when others passed on him . Add in the ACC and he will get 15 players a yr from Fla .
  5. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    I'm not sure where he would go though?? It does not look like a year where there will be many 'big' job openings. USC is open but I don't see him going there. Texas might be open but who knows if he would be the guy at the top of their wish list. I just don't see where he's going to have many options for a major job upgrade this year.
  6. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +168

That's a good point. West Virginia (Currently 3-3) and Georgia Tech (Currently 3-3) might have coach vacancies at the end of the year. Neither big time gigs, but I guess the question could be asked if they would be a step up from Louisville.
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,520
    There is a top 5 showdown in the ACC this week. If Louisville held one of those spots, winning that game and the ACC championship would virtually guarantee them a spot in a four team playoff. I bet in 2018 they'll go to eight teams. Charlie doesn't need to leave Louisville. He can win it all where he is now.
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +875
    Refresh my memory. Where was Charlie when UF hired Muschamp? Not saying they made a mistake, just curious.
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,393
    I think He stays till he's ousted, if that ever happens. They gave him his first shot, and that's all he wanted. He won't leave them. Not IMO. He's a very good coach, and an even better human being.
  10. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    Louisville, the thinking at the time was that he wasn't going to jump ship one year in.
  11. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +157

Add Virginia to the list and just like WVU & GT would not be a step up. There probably won't be a single job open up in the SEC this year. USCe when THBC retires (1-3yrs) would be a great spot for Charlie.
  12. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Charley Strong is a VERY loyal person and I think he sticks with Louisville for quite a while. USC may look into him but they will probably go after someone with Trojan ties. Texas will go after the biggest name coach they can find. Charley is in a good place and when they move to the ACC, he will be able to attract more defensive talent.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,359
    Easier said than done. There are three ACC teams better than UCF...

Not sure if USCe is a step up from Georgia Tech, a historically rich program, or West Virginia, for that matter. From those schools, I think the only step up is (in order) Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, perhaps Texas A&M and Tennessee, at least until they get their bearings back. Then Tennessee will be a great job again.

Perhaps UCF might be a good place...
  14. jms

jms VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Charlie is a GREAT person but his team does NOT belong in the top 10!
  15. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Georgia tech - good school but big step down from lville in football--plus, they can't pay lville type money
  16. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
    Agree that Charlie stays put. He has proven he can recruit the state of Florida and Louisville is located on the border of B10 country as well (so he can dip into those states for a player or two), he has a very good situation. He adds a lot of solid transfers so his roster is competitive.

They just lost to a very good football team. A team that gave SC all it wanted (and probably should have won). Not shame in that and they are realistically a top 10 team this year (even w/ the loss).

On this same note about moving on from a program, I bet Dan Mullen is kicking himself in the ass. After his second year at MSU he was the "hot" coach...now he's a dud. Similar to Kirk Farentz at Iowa (who went 1-10 in 1999 and 11-2 in 2002...then 4-8 in 2012). And I'm not sure MSU keeps Mullen around as long as Iowa has kept Farentz (if he continues his lack of success). W/ Ole Miss' rise under Freeze, he's in trouble there.
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    My point was that his defense got cooked last night....and Teddy is leaving. If they take a step back next year it will look like he can't win without Teddy. That's a risk.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  18. mamag8ter

mamag8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,995
    Charlie Strong is more than a great person. He is a damn good Coach. The timing was wrong for Charlie to coach UF. Not only that we got screwed by Urban trying to force Addazio on UF. He expounded at length on what a great head coach Charlie would be and how he deserved a chance, but he never groomed him to take over at UF. I think that was a damned shame. With UF'S stellar recruits, Charlie would have been a great Coach. He knew the State of Florida and the University of Florida. He had just been hired by Louisville and was not going to defect then. Too bad he never got offered at UF.
  19. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    Who knows maybe Foley has said just sit tight one more year and let's see what happens
  20. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    It's ironic. A lot of Louisville fans are actually down on Strong after last night's loss. You gotta remember Petrino wasn't here too long ago and his teams were every bit as good as many SEC teams and that lasted for years. Many UofL fans would take Petrino back in a heartbeat, regardless of his off-the-field crap. Strong has been up and down. Obviously, the Sugar Bowl was a major high point, but no one up here expected Louisvlle to be in the Sugar Bowl to begin with, much less win it, because of the poor play last season against teams Louisville should have manhandled.