1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Changing calls at the line.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatrfanzz, Sep 3, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,090
    Yes, it is the staff's responsibility, but the system is already in place. Now, they may choose to give him more latitude in making changes, but there the system of built-in checks is already there.

I think again the real issue is that some think every time the defense has numbers in the box, then you should check out if a run. In certain instances, such as running out of a spread, you have to. But if we are in a jumbo package or an unbalanced line, then it can actually work to your advantage because you are creating an extra gap and a advantageous matchups in the blocking scheme, where a lineman may be taking on a linebacker or a tight end or fullback taking on a safety.

The key is checking to a pass at the right times. If you checked to a throw every time a team puts an extra guy in the box, then defensive backs would come to expect it and they would be prepared for the play fake. When they expect you to run at the same time as they are plus one in the box, however, then you hit them over the top. But you have to prove you can run against a plus box first for that to happen.

We proved that against Toledo and really didn't need to take advantage of the plus box to throw over the top. In ensuing games, we will have to, but only after we prove we can run against it first.
  2. Gatorstew

Gatorstew Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    Do they know that we know that we're only faking the check at the line and will still run? :wink: 'Tis the chess match on every play.

Dicks Sporting Goods actually has a very nice commercial ("Every Snap") highlighting everything that goes into each play- from the coaches, to the offense to the defense, back to the offense, etc (and this is just high school). I was trying to guess which company the commercial was about while it was going on thinking it was Nike. But I was surprised it wasn't Nike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4v0i9wLaYU